What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mid-Season Report Card

Fangs

Coach
More rain and an awful weekend of football has brought us to this. Technically mid-season was a few weeks ago but for me its after Origin finishes. Poping this 2 days early.

Defence rating: C

Effort atrocious earlier in the year, literally the worst defensive outfit in the world. Those effort levels have improved immensely. Injuries/moving on players have had an impact on our edge defence. Naden/Whare if fit should handle things well enough. Maloney still the worst in the comp for missed tackles but it doesn't seem to be hurting us as much as last year.

Attack rating: C-

The definition of impotent, this team can't fire a shot unless Kikau has the ball. We have issues at 1/9 and N.Cleary isn't anymore dangerous in the red zone. All too similar to 2018 for the Panthers.

5 of our 7 wins have been won by 4 points or less. We have a great field goal exponent in Maloney and Cleary's goal kicking is top notch (We lead the competition with an 88% conversion rate). If one of them gets injured we don't lose much in either department. The Sharks have lost their last 3 games in a row despite scoring more tries than their opponents. Shows you just how important Cleary/Maloney are to our fortunes.

Coach Rating: C-

Was a complete F earlier this year but he has dragged it back a long way. Hasn't improved the team much from 2018 if at all but 5 wins in a row was totally unexpected. The attitude has returned alonside moving a couple of players along. Hetherington/Sele appear written off team selection.which may again be to do with attitude.

Still makes some weird decisions and is very questionable with his use of the bench.

Overall rating: C-

Strange once again that with such a crap rating this team is still in the running. I should be more harsh of the standard of football in NRL I guess, it stinks.

TheFrog

Coach
Strange once again that with such a crap rating this team is still in the running. I should be more harsh of the standard of football in NRL I guess, it stinks.
The Panthers have been enigmatic for a while now. Hated by the refs, quite error prone and very fond of giving up points whenever penalised for the last two seasons now, the side seems to have this knack of not only scoring but winning only when it needs to. Except in week 2 of the finals of course.

Fangs

Coach
So what you're saying is @Fangs, is that you want to re-sign Hook?

I'm not sure, he is probably too busy attending to his driveway. A man like Hook just can't be at peace with all those leaves cluttering it up. And his fence needs mending again.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not sure, he is probably too busy attending to his driveway. A man like Hook just can't be a peace with all those leaves cluttering it up. And his fence needs mending again.

Sign of brilliance right there.

franklin2323

Immortal
Good ratings. The best thing for me going forward is cleared the way for Ivan to make the roster his. Alot quicker then is usually the case too.

Really should be outright 8th this week and control our own destiny

mxlegend99

Referee
The Panthers have been enigmatic for a while now. Hated by the refs, quite error prone and very fond of giving up points whenever penalised for the last two seasons now, the side seems to have this knack of not only scoring but winning only when it needs to. Except in week 2 of the finals of course.
We won't be eliminated in week 2 of finals this year IMO. Although if we were that's pretty good considering we were looking at a wooden spoon 6 matches ago.

If we make the finals we should be one of the form sides this year. Good for week 3 I think.

MrBlack

Juniors
I would have our Defence closer to an A- right now.

in our little run of 5 wins we have conceded less that 14 points per game (average).

If we get our attack in order that negative differential will turn around pretty quickly.

Kilkenny

Coach
While it has been nice to string a few wins together it doesn’t mask the fact we have been pretty poor.

Personally, I don’t think we’ll make the top 8, our luck of winning the close encounters will surely run out and we just don’t seem to have enough points in us to put the sword to any side in the competition.

We remain at least four quality players short of being a good side, able to compete against the best sides. While there is some really good kids coming thru I think Ivan needs to bring in at least two really good experienced players from outside the club, you can take your pick I guess in what position they are most needed.

OldPanther

Coach
While it has been nice to string a few wins together it doesn’t mask the fact we have been pretty poor.

Personally, I don’t think we’ll make the top 8, our luck of winning the close encounters will surely run out and we just don’t seem to have enough points in us to put the sword to any side in the competition.

We remain at least four quality players short of being a good side, able to compete against the best sides. While there is some really good kids coming thru I think Ivan needs to bring in at least two really good experienced players from outside the club, you can take your pick I guess in what position they are most needed.

Who are you and what have you done with Kilkenny? This seems more like a comment I would make and get in trouble for haha.

MrBlack

Juniors
I like to think (hope??) we are building nicely and timing our run.

By this time next week we could be in the 8. Up to us to stay there then.....

TheFrog

Coach
Personally, I don’t think we’ll make the top 8, our luck of winning the close encounters will surely run out
In 2016 the Sharks win 8 games by 5 or less. One of them was the Grand Final.

Warren Ryan used to tell his sides, whatever you do, make sure you win the close ones.

OldPanther

Coach
In 2016 the Sharks win 8 games by 5 or less. One of them was the Grand Final.

Warren Ryan used to tell his sides, whatever you do, make sure you win the close ones.

Many teams have been criticized for not being able to do just that. Raiders recently copped 12 months of it in 2017 or 2018.

franklin2323

Immortal
Many teams have been criticized for not being able to do just that. Raiders recently copped 12 months of it in 2017 or 2018.

It is impossible to make the 8 without some close wins. I think we smash Dragons next week. I don't think we will make the 8 but we get some nice wins before the season is done

Latest posts