What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs. Cronulla Sharks Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
NRL 2019 - Round 16
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Brisbane Broncos
PointsBet Stadium, Woolooware (TICKETS)
Sunday 7 July 2019

TL-CRO19.png

1. Matt Moylan
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Josh Morris
5. Josh Dugan
6. Shaun Johnson
7. Chad Townsend
8. Aaron Woods
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Briton Nikora
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange
14. Kyle Flanagan
15. Jayson Bukuya
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

Reserves
18. Blayke Brailey
19. Scott Sorensen
20. Billy Magoulias
21. Aaron Gray

TL-BRI19.png

1. Darius Boyd
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Xavier Coates
6. Jake Turpin
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai
13. Thomas Flegler

Interchange
14. James Segeyaro
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Shaun Fensom
17. Patty Carrigan

Reserves
18. Keenan Palasia
19. Cory Paix
20. Patrick Mago
21. Izaia Perese​

Big Pete

Referee
Milford is out with a meniscus tear for an indefinite amount of time. Could be between two weeks to season ending. Kennar dislocated his shoulder and could be out for the rest of the season.

Oates, Gillett, Ofahengaue and Fifita are all on Origin duty.

Farnworth and Paix have been upgraded to the Top 30. While Xavier Coates, Keenan Palasia and Rhys Kennedy have been added to the development squad.

A tall order for the Broncos, hopefully they find some character in that 80 minutes.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Lots more justification selecting Palasia than there was for Kennar. He has been in great form all season for Wynnum.

Big Pete

Referee
How did Farnworth go?

Herbie was very solid on debut. He didn't receive too many attacking opportunities, but he worked hard inside his own half of the field and did his job.

The only lowlight was his effort on the Dugan try. He mis-read the play and attempted an intercept giving Dugan a clear run at the line. Cronulla had the numbers regardless, but he could have been better on the play.

Will be interesting to see which direction Seibs' goes in. Personally I would go with Farnworth as the more well rounded option, but Coates was very dangerous in the air.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought this thread would be more lively.

That was a helluva win in a trying season for the Broncos. They had a lot working against them: three debutants, two injuries mid-game, an early collapse in the second half and a partridge in a pear tree yet they still found a way to win.

That early try to Coates set the stage for the Broncos. Cronulla were all over them in the early exchanges, they got a seven tackle set and made the absolute most out of it. Coates was spectacular in the air and announced himself as a serious last tackle option with that display. However the most impressive part about it was how it lifted the team. The way the players got around them just put a wind beneath their sails that's been lacking in recent weeks where the first try has been so difficult to come by.

The big turning point was that knee from Flanagan. Brisbane couldn't get into the second half and were battling to get outside of their half. On the back of that penalty, Segeyaro threw caution to the wind, got away with a forward pass to McCullough and Brisbane were able to score against a scrambled Sharks line.

I definitely think Segs' was a real difference maker for the Broncos especially with that forced goal-line drop out in the lead up to Turpin's match-winner. I don't think the others could have executed that play in that situation. With James, the Broncos take the good with the bad. He played a role in two tries, but also conceded that awful one when Jack Williams brushed straight past him.

I don't think it was a turning point per se for the club, but certainly a nice morale booster in what has been a difficult season. The build up to the game was immense with all three debutants getting emotional about realising their dreams and to see it pay off in the way that it did was a feel good moment, perhaps the best in quite a few seasons.

One element of the win that deserves mention was the performance of Boyd, McCullough and Pangai. All three have been much maligned this season and to be fair deservedly so. However, all three produced arguably their best performance of the season and you could see how much of a difference that made in the end.

Nerd

Bench

That was a helluva win in a trying season for the Broncos. They had a lot working against them: three debutants, two injuries mid-game, an early collapse in the second half and a partridge in a pear tree yet they still found a way to win.

That early try to Coates set the stage for the Broncos. Cronulla were all over them in the early exchanges, they got a seven tackle set and made the absolute most out of it. Coates was spectacular in the air and announced himself as a serious last tackle option with that display. However the most impressive part about it was how it lifted the team. The way the players got around them just put a wind beneath their sails that's been lacking in recent weeks where the first try has been so difficult to come by.

The big turning point was that knee from Flanagan. Brisbane couldn't get into the second half and were battling to get outside of their half. On the back of that penalty, Segeyaro threw caution to the wind, got away with a forward pass to McCullough and Brisbane were able to score against a scrambled Sharks line.

I definitely think Segs' was a real difference maker for the Broncos especially with that forced goal-line drop out in the lead up to Turpin's match-winner. I don't think the others could have executed that play in that situation. With James, the Broncos take the good with the bad. He played a role in two tries, but also conceded that awful one when Jack Williams brushed straight past him.

I don't think it was a turning point per se for the club, but certainly a nice morale booster in what has been a difficult season. The build up to the game was immense with all three debutants getting emotional about realising their dreams and to see it pay off in the way that it did was a feel good moment, perhaps the best in quite a few seasons.

One element of the win that deserves mention was the performance of Boyd, McCullough and Pangai. All three have been much maligned this season and to be fair deservedly so. However, all three produced arguably their best performance of the season and you could see how much of a difference that made in the end.
I'm all for Segeyaro as hooker. Whenever he comes on our attack looks much more dangerous.

Bronco18

Juniors

All right you’ve guilted me into responding with your earnestness. Watching it I was jumping up and down on the couch screaming in the last 10 minutes or so, which shows how hard we’ve found it to win haha

The enthusiasm and talent from the roomies was great to see though, I’d like to see them persevere with Coates with someone giving him a rocket to get more involved when moving out of our own half.

I’m still resigned to it being a somewhat lucky win (worth noting Cronulla had their own injury woes, missing some key players as well as still scoring 5 tries). While those players you highlighted stood up, I’m not sure where their future lies. Macca and Boyd seem to have little improvement and are (seemingly) replaceable, but would require a hefty payout to be moved on. Pangai is something else...

If we lose Pangai that’ll be devastating - at his peak he’s one of the most destructive forwards. Last year when he played, there was a feeling we could beat any team (obviously that’s not how it panned out, but when he’s on that’s the confidence he brings). But on his current form line, it’s hard to shell out any decent money for him. The worst of it is, if he goes to a club like the Roosters with disciplined structures he’ll probably realise that potential. Yuck.