What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Travitoh

First Grade
Rumours emerging that the Dogs are after both Britt and Brittain.

Britt was linked earlier in the season so could have legs.
Wouldn't be the worst thing if they went. Both have done enough in reserve grade and limited first grade opportunities to warrant a decent reserve grade salary imo.

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

George Burgess: Wayne Bennett confirms forward's departure from South Sydney Rabbitohs

South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has confirmed that George Burgess will not be a part of the club in 2020.

Burgess made his NRL debut in round 12 for South Sydney in 2012, having played 147 games for the club.

Since his debut, he has become a cult hero at the club alongside brothers Sam and Tom, guiding the side to their first NRL Premiership in 43 years in 2014.

However, his contract is set to finish up at the end of the year, with Bennett confirming the long-suspected belief that the English international would not be re-signed by the club.

"George won't be here next year, that was determined a long time ago, long before anything else happened," Bennett said to the media on Friday.

Burgess is currently serving a nine-game suspension after being charged with an eye-gouge against Robbie Farah in Round 14.

The sanction has come just eight months after Burgess was suspended for four weeks after eye-gouging Roger Tuivasa-Sheck during an end of year test against New Zealand.

Whilst Bennett could not guarantee a spot for Burgess at South Sydney in 2020, the Souths and English national coach was hopeful that the prop would stay in the NRL, emphatically stating that he has a lot to give to an NRL club.

"I do, he has a lot to offer, but we have salary cap issues and that's our point, we can't go to that figure. But I do want him to stay in the NRL, he's a good figure to have around the club," Bennett stated when asked about if he should stay in the NRL.

This endorsement comes as Burgess hopes to remain in Australia, despite speculation that he will head back home to England at the end of the year.

The confirmation of his exit from Redfern ensures that he has played his last regular season game for the club, with his suspension ruling him out until the first week of the finals.

Cheap Charlie

Juniors
From Sporting News,

George Burgess: Wayne Bennett confirms forward's departure from South Sydney Rabbitohs

South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has confirmed that George Burgess will not be a part of the club in 2020.

Burgess made his NRL debut in round 12 for South Sydney in 2012, having played 147 games for the club.

Since his debut, he has become a cult hero at the club alongside brothers Sam and Tom, guiding the side to their first NRL Premiership in 43 years in 2014.

However, his contract is set to finish up at the end of the year, with Bennett confirming the long-suspected belief that the English international would not be re-signed by the club.

"George won't be here next year, that was determined a long time ago, long before anything else happened," Bennett said to the media on Friday.

Burgess is currently serving a nine-game suspension after being charged with an eye-gouge against Robbie Farah in Round 14.

The sanction has come just eight months after Burgess was suspended for four weeks after eye-gouging Roger Tuivasa-Sheck during an end of year test against New Zealand.

Whilst Bennett could not guarantee a spot for Burgess at South Sydney in 2020, the Souths and English national coach was hopeful that the prop would stay in the NRL, emphatically stating that he has a lot to give to an NRL club.

"I do, he has a lot to offer, but we have salary cap issues and that's our point, we can't go to that figure. But I do want him to stay in the NRL, he's a good figure to have around the club," Bennett stated when asked about if he should stay in the NRL.

This endorsement comes as Burgess hopes to remain in Australia, despite speculation that he will head back home to England at the end of the year.

The confirmation of his exit from Redfern ensures that he has played his last regular season game for the club, with his suspension ruling him out until the first week of the finals.

Sad business.

Plenty of George’s critics forget that he was the dominant forward, and the best player, in the 2014 GF, regardless of who won the CCM. I’d rather see Souths support him while he works his way through his fitness, form and discipline issues. He’s gonna he a handful up against us with a point to prove.

Sad business.

Plenty of George’s critics forget that he was the dominant forward, and the best player, in the 2014 GF, regardless of who won the CCM. I’d rather see Souths support him while he works his way through his fitness, form and discipline issues. He’s gonna he a handful up against us with a point to prove.

Salary cap issues, he’s a loose cannon and they can’t risk his fee if he’s not playing esp when they are looking at elite players elsewhere.

Over at tigers we have an estimated $3m in Reggie’s and so forth so we know all about the pain and suffering that comes along with that.

So at market, I think he’d still command $500k+ at the moment as he is a big strong and mostly tidy unit and we know how desperate clubs can be with overs.

I’d say he might go back to the uk where he could earn $1m or something.

I’ve heard he’s a good bloke in person and everyone would be after him. So nrl would be good.

It was crazy and dumb, but he could have pulled robbies head off or seriously maimed him if he wanted to.

I think he will be back for the finals at some point.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
I have very mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, I can see why the club would let George go because let's face it, he hasn't aimed up at all since early 2015 which is simply not good enough for his pay packet. We've given him ample opportunity to get back in form and he just hasn't. George made progress last year but that has completely disappeared again this year. Plus, with him gone, salary cap space would be relieved and we'd have a bit of wiggle room which would be great. So yea, I can see why the club would want to move him on and I agree with that.

However, George holds a special place in every South Sydney fans heart I feel. That try in the 2014 Grand Final will forever stick in my mind and it's the kind of thing I'm going to show my kids one day. George was one of the best props in the game back then byt he's just fallen of the wagon which is very, very sad.

callmack1

Staff member
Brydens Lawyers Injury Update Round 17: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/07/14/brydens-lawyers-injury-update-round-17/

So based off that, Sam is a chance for this week. Hopefully he's sweet. Tom and AJ still a couple of weeks away.

Judiciary Update - Round 17: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/07/14/judiciary-update---round-17/

That is absolute BS!!!! Liam Knight to miss at least two matches for that?!! What a friggin joke! I have watched it again and he was fully committed before DCE passed it, there is no way he could have pulled out of it. That really is BS and I am fuming. Again the NRL come down hard on our players.

LittleWayne

Juniors
From the outside looking in George doesn’t care if he plays NRL or not, his passions are elsewhere.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he has a year off.

callmack1

Staff member
Anyone else think it is an absolute joke how Knight could potentially get three weeks yet Nick Cotric could only get four weeks for his incident? It is absolute bullshit, there's no way Liam Knight deserves three weeks let alone two. Based on that Cotric should get five or six. I am really not happy with this, once again the NRL targets our players.

250excf

Juniors
What I think is total bullshit is George Tafuas blatant shoulder charge on Douhie nothing said nothing mentioned no penalty no match review committee spotted it
I’ve slowed it down a dozen times their is absolutely zero arm wrapping around the player as blatant as any shoulder charge who are the morons who run this game man they are dumb as dog shitb