What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

Pantherman72

Juniors
The RMC players in the NSW Pioneers to play Queensland Rangers on sunday are:

starting 13 - Mailko Filino, Jordan Remfrey, Antonio Pelesasa, Pat Hollis
bench - Nick Kassis, Jack Morris, Piki Rogers

I understand that Magnus Stromquist and Eddie Aiono were in the original selection but withdrew.
As did Jerry Key as Norths Cup continue to select better performing Asquith players ahead of their own players.

Broncos93

Juniors
Looks like Zac Nicholls has joined Shane Kiel in ditching Cabra for Asquith. With Riley Travers, Blake Goodman and Matt Place they've certainly got a decent stock of playmakers.

kbw

Bench
Will be interesting to see if Zac Nicholls plays for Asquith and what grade.
I would not be surprised if Cabra do not release him without a swap of some sort. Although early on he was on the verge of getting some NSW cup games, his form was def down and left because he refused to be dropped to SS. He has some talent, ability and experience but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself

Pantherman72

Juniors
Will be interesting to see if Zac Nicholls plays for Asquith and what grade.
I would not be surprised if Cabra do not release him without a swap of some sort. Although early on he was on the verge of getting some NSW cup games, his form was def down and left because he refused to be dropped to SS. He has some talent, ability and experience but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself
On the verge of NSW Cup. Ron Massey Cup Rep team Halfback. Grand final winner last year. Would you happily play Shield when the coach picks his son in Ron Massey Cup before you? The Asquith staff will get the best out of him - look at Shane Kiel, he has never played better.

kbw

Bench
He is a bit different though in that he has played under Chris Yates for a few years (apart from 2018) and not competing directly against the son for a spot. Also no matter what you have done if you are not playing well you can't expect it to be ignored.
But hopefully for him he finds some form at Asquith and helps them take out RM, they are a real chance

IMO

Juniors
Shame to see Cabra still can't perform. Espcially with their roster. Must be something not right in the joint

rightleftin

Juniors
Shame to see Cabra still can't perform. Espcially with their roster. Must be something not right in the joint

They have too many guys that would be better off playing in SS but with Frank Pritchard in the side they have to leave out a number of 1st tier players to fit under the points cap. Guildford have a few guys back from injury and may have a better run hereon.

The SS was a decent game with Guildford going blow for blow with Cabra until Matt Mundine, a 5/8 in a prop's body put up the bomb that produced the decisive margin despite Guildford's last minute try. Cabra ended up with no bench and the game was delayed for half an hour with 4 minutes left while the ambulance arrived.

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC

Mounties 40 Blacktown 10
Guildford 24 Cabra 18
St Marys 22 Wenty 8
Hills 38 Brothers 12
Asquith 42 Glebe Burwood 16

After a slow start, Asquith did the business against GB and crossed for their first 3 tries in the space of 6 minutes. Zach Nicholls slotted in very smoothly and certainly didn't look like a SS player. Glebe Burwood have recruited a few more, with Brock Illett being another escapee from Cabra's SS team and ironically Illett played for both GB and Asquith last year. In addition Monaro U/23 rep, Sione Afemui is also come on board.

Hills, reinforced with 5 members of the South Sydney squad that currently sits at the top of the NSW Cup table, produced their 4th win of the season to move away from the other 3 contenders for the wooden spoon.

SS

Cabra 28 Guildford 26
Wenty 16 St Marys 12
Hills 38 Brothers 30
Asquith 62 University 0
Ryde Eastwood 48 Moorebank 22
East Campbelltown 82 Belrose 10

No even the presence of a guy that played some NRL last year could prevent a horrific result for Belrose and University were similarly defenceless.

kbw

Bench
Cabra are advertising the Massey coaches job.

Not overly surprised, a bit disappointed as I know many of the staff. Will be interesting to see how the year pans out.
From success at Wenty, the wheels started falling off last year with giving his son's mates games is SS over much better players. to this year just not getting RM to perform at all.
I do hope his son isn't collateral damage as he is a good player and good enough. But then again so were others that weren't given the opportunities

kbw

Bench
Just wanted to bring some perspective to the Cabra situation.

A lot of things were put in place as massive improvements when the current coach was brought in.
They include
- Relationship with an experience RL Doctor (not game day) but for injury management
- Fixing of the physio situation, the current physio is miles ahead of previous
- relationship with Patrician Brothers that benefits not just the school but the club
- Genuine pathway and relationship with the Bulldogs that isn't just notional, with players now contracted with Canterbury that were with Cabra

The staff that Chris Yates assembled are also very good, with his strenght/conditioning guys world class. Alot of that staff have helped Chris achieve a considerable amount of success as as coach.

There was a plan put into place to have Cabra run their own NSW cup side.

That plan seems to now not have the support of the club. Combined with some other issues including not being able to train on a full field prompted the coach to inform the board he would not be returning in 2020.

So in fairness Chris resigned and the board advertised the position after this. The job description actually says this.

2018 was a successful year and in my opinion 2019 is starting to pick up but it is hard when you can't train full field.

With the Chris's son, he deserves all the opportunities he has and on more than one occasion has been voted players player. He is a quality player and person.

Not that it affects anyone but a bit sharing between family members has led to a case of foot in mouth disease and I will be closing this acct

Butts74

Juniors
I’m also hearing from a source that Windsor are entering in the RMC and SS next year. What I’ve been told is the coaches are for SS is Daniel Jackson who is currently coaching hills SS and the RMC coach is Luke Dweller who is at brothers.

Oldschool

Juniors
Does anybody have any dark horses that they think can upset the top 4 ? I think Guildford are a real threat and if Cabra can get it together can do some damage as well.
Asquith and Wenty are both impressive and Mounties and St Mary's genuine top 4 runners. Outside that Wests or Guildford can perform . Maybe Cabra. The others are no chance.

leaguelover610

Juniors
I’m also hearing from a source that Windsor are entering in the RMC and SS next year. What I’ve been told is the coaches are for SS is Daniel Jackson who is currently coaching hills SS and the RMC coach is Luke Dweller who is at brothers.
Depending on who the source is because my mail is the leagues club cannot afford it, it nearly went broke in their last season. They'd need a lot of sponsorship

Ive also heard they are back in both for 2020

Pantherman72

Juniors
Depending on who the source is because my mail is the leagues club cannot afford it, it nearly went broke in their last season. They'd need a lot of sponsorship
Heard the Priors are now heading back there to fund it again now they have dismantled the Blacktown Ron Massey operation, leaving them with no Shield and last in Ron Massey. Only problem is they wont pay unless Brad is coach.

Latest posts