What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

Stallion

First Grade
I think the nrl will cave and put it back on a Wednesday now.

? Don't think the Sunday is the reason at all! Characters like Gallen have been missed. Noticed alot more interest/promotion from pubs and clubs throughout this series. (Moreso than previous years)That may be the "growth" factor not being counted.

The_Wookie

Bench

NEARLY 10 MILLION PEOPLE WATCH STATE OF ORIGIN IN 2019

9.537 million Australians tuned in to Nine’s broadcast of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series.

For the first time since 2005, the Bryden’s Lawyers New South Wales Blues side celebrated back-to-back Origin series victories, breaking their curse of Game III decider losses.

State of Origin Games I, II and III are now the three most watched programs of the year to date. Game I is ranked first with a national average of 3.211 million viewers, Game III is second with 2.881 million viewers, and Origin II is ranked third with 2.808 million.

Following NSW’s series win, Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, said: “There is no other sporting contest like State of Origin anywhere in the world - professional footballers leaving their club to play for their state of origin in what is the equivalent of three consecutive Grand Finals. It delivers again and again because of the passion and pride across cities, towns and states – and because of the incredible athleticism of the players.”

Nine’s Director of Sales - Sport, Matt Granger said: “The 2019 SOO series has had it all, culminating in last night’s decider. For Nine, it has been fantastic to work with our sponsors, Sony Pictures, Sportsbet, Holden, Stan, McDonalds, Telstra and Harvey Norman. Nine’s exclusive broadcast of SOO has once again showcased it’s unique position and dominance for audiences and partners alike.”

It’s a new era for both Origin sides, with more players on debut than ever before, and new superstars rising through the ranks, like NSW’s James Tedesco who was awarded the Wally Lewis Medal for player of the series.

The NRL on Nine action doesn’t stop here, as a tight race in the top eight develops with only nine rounds remaining until the NRL Finals begin this September.

Source: 9PR, via email.

T-Boon

Coach
? Don't think the Sunday is the reason at all! Characters like Gallen have been missed. Noticed alot more interest/promotion from pubs and clubs throughout this series. (Moreso than previous years)That may be the "growth" factor not being counted.

Thats where I think it is bigger than the GF. So many people watch origin at the pub. It is many thousands of sets of eyes that do not get counted in these ratings.

T-Boon

Coach
Ratings were well down across the board for an origin, let alone a decider. The series felt very flat for me, the game thrives on tribalism and it just wasn’t there, I don’t think the two coaches help much.

In my opinion it is probably more the captains that are the problem. I think Kev and Fittler promote the series well but DCE and Cordner are very low energy individuals.

Stallion

First Grade
Thats where I think it is bigger than the GF. So many people watch origin at the pub. It is many thousands of sets of eyes that do not get counted in these ratings.

GF is still massive champ. I've bought tickets last week. Randwick races on the Saturday and footy GF on the Sunday. Got well priced accomodation and looking forward to it no matter who is playing. Think it will be the last 83000 plus rugby league/football crowd in Sydney unless they build a bigger/user friendly stadium into the future.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think the nrl will cave and put it back on a Wednesday now.

? The Sunday game was a total blowout and still almost rated as well as a game 3 which was not only the series decider but also a cracker of a game. I don’t see how those ratings are an argument against a Sunday game.

Personally I don’t think the day of the week matters anyway. What we need is a dedicated origin period. Not only to stop the drain on the NRL but so you can have a 3-4 week period where SOO dominates the media entirely. It would be great for both.

Stallion

First Grade
? The Sunday game was a total blowout and still almost rated as well as a game 3 which was not only the series decider but also a cracker of a game. I don’t see how those ratings are an argument against a Sunday game.

Personally I don’t think the day of the week matters anyway. What we need is a dedicated origin period. Not only to stop the drain on the NRL but so you can have a 3-4 week period where SOO dominates the media entirely. It would be great for both.

Three Sunday state games in a row. Complemented by other internationals & women's games . Then a Kangaroos v Kiwi or Tonga test on the 4th Sunday/weekend with other internationals at play?

insert.pause

First Grade
It does impact it for people who weren’t aware it was on a Sunday or who chose to watch something else because it was a Sunday night. It’s not that different to a lot of programming which relies on routine to build audiences. Everyone knew origin is on a Wednesday night, but if you missed the Sunday game you are less inclined to watch the following Wednesday game.

Stallion

First Grade
It does impact it for people who weren’t aware it was on a Sunday or who chose to watch something else because it was a Sunday night. It’s not that different to a lot of programming which relies on routine to build audiences. Everyone knew origin is on a Wednesday night, but if you missed the Sunday game you are less inclined to watch the following Wednesday game.

Think that's more a matter of time and getting used to the day. Some things take time . The benefits of having the other representative matches far out way a downtime for the general public getting used to Sunday state games. Another factor not mentioned is other streaming avenues which did not happen years ago.

Usain Bolt

Bench

Game 1 - 3.20

Game 2 - 2.80

Game 3 - 2.88

Game 1 - 3.45

Game 2 - 3.16

Game 3 - 2.68

Game 1 - 3.52

Game 2 - 3.48

Game 3 - 3.65

Ratings for the past 3 Origin series.

Source: Mediaweek

DC_fan

Coach

So some people are stupid then. Seriously, with all the publicity about State of Origin how can you not know when each origin game is on. Do people lock themselves away and just open the door when they expect an origin game to be on. Jesus Christ what sort of world do we live in!

The_Wookie

Bench

STATE OF ORIGIN BREAKS RECORDS

2019 SERIES OVERVIEW

BROADCAST

• 9.537 million Australians tuned in to Nine’s broadcast of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series (National cume reach)
  • Games I, II and III are the three most watched programs to date in 2019 (National average audience)

GAME I - National average audience: 3.207 million

• 5 City Metro average audience: 2.178 million
  • Regional average audience: 1.029 million

GAME II - National average audience: 2.799 million

• 5 City Metro average audience: 1.960 million
  • Regional average audience: 840,000

GAME III - National average audience: 2.889 million

• 5 City Metro average audience: 2.002 million
  • Regional average audience: 887,000

9NOW STREAMING

2019 SERIES:

• Average VPM of 84,000 up 78% on the 2018 series
  • Total streams of 1.9 million up 194% on the 2018 series
  • Total Minutes of 28.6 million up 83% on the 2018 series

GAME III:

• Average Live VPM of 96,000 up 159% on Game III 2018
  • Live Streams of 533,000 up 324% on Game III 2018
  • Total Minutes of 10.7 million up 189% on Game III 2018
  • State of Origin Game III achieved a Live VPM rating of 96,000 – this is the highest Live VPM rating across all networks to date in 2019

SOCIAL MEDIA & WWOS

• WWOS.com.au achieved 3.870 million page views for Origin content, up 73% year-on-year
  • Origin content on WWOS social media channels reached a combined total of 5.2 million people
  • Origin content on WWOS social media channels received a combined 2.712 million user engagements
  • Origin video content on WWOS social media channels received a combined 3.840 million views

Source; 9PR email

Stallion

First Grade

2019 SERIES OVERVIEW

BROADCAST

• 9.537 million Australians tuned in to Nine’s broadcast of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series (National cume reach)
  • Games I, II and III are the three most watched programs to date in 2019 (National average audience)

9NOW STREAMING

2019 SERIES:

GAME III:

• State of Origin Game III achieved a Live VPM rating of 96,000 – this is the highest Live VPM rating across all networks to date in 2019
SOCIAL MEDIA & WWOS

• WWOS.com.au achieved 3.870 million page views for Origin content, up 73% year-on-year
  • Origin content on WWOS social media channels reached a combined total of 5.2 million people
  • Origin content on WWOS social media channels received a combined 2.712 million user engagements
  • Origin video content on WWOS social media channels received a combined 3.840 million views

Source; 9PR email

Very significant and useful information. I'd suggest very positive! Including the various aspects on the next media deal will be worthwhile and fruitful.

2019 SERIES OVERVIEW

BROADCAST

9NOW STREAMING

2019 SERIES:

GAME III:

SOCIAL MEDIA & WWOS

Source; 9PR email
Some of your posters on big footy will be in meld down over these figures.

Latest posts