What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Definitely.

Time to cast aside the St George deadwood and carry on solo as a south coast powerhouse..

We’re keeping the jersey and the monkier though..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Seriously though, I’m not sure this is possible now with the WIN deal
It’s possible..

It’s very possible..

The old St George fans are going to hate seeing their name disappear from first grade though..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Without any tangible contributions from the Illawarra Steelers Football Club, I’m uncertain that SGI is still a joint venture anyway. My understanding is that it has a sole representative on the Board who has no voting rights, so what (if true) does it provide for the day-to-day running of the club?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Without any tangible contributions from the Illawarra Steelers Football Club, I’m uncertain that SGI is still a joint venture anyway. My understanding is that it has a sole representative on the Board who has no voting rights, so what (if true) does it provide for the day-to-day running of the club?
Exactly..

People keep blaming the Steelers for everything but given the Steelers are not having input on the day to day, clearly this mess we’re currently in is all the fault of St George..

The sooner we jettison that Kogarah mob the better we’ll be..

George Dragon

Juniors
Are you asking if St George Illawarra should withdraw from the NRL because the licence is issued to the joint venture.

Gareth67

First Grade
I go along with Coffs Dragon line of thought with this - it may be our only avenue of getting rid of the maestro , so it’s certainly worth thinking about .

No disrespect to our South Coast cousins who have supplied the St.George teams of the past with so many wonderful and talented players, but something drastic needs to be done if the Dragons are to once again to experience the dizzy heights of success .

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I go along with Coffs Dragon line of thought with this - it may be our only avenue of getting rid of the maestro , so it’s certainly worth thinking about .

No disrespect to our South Coast cousins who have supplied the St.George teams of the past with so many wonderful and talented players, but something drastic needs to be done if the Dragons are to once again to experience the dizzy heights of success .

Very well said, mate.

I've lost faith in the board and with WIN hijacking control of the club, we need change but with the St George component of the board rolling over, l am without knowledge in knowing our next move.

All l know is that our club seem happy just to be in the league as opposed to wanting to win it like the Saints of old.

It’s possible..

It’s very possible..

The old St George fans are going to hate seeing their name disappear from first grade though..

The St George fans lament the change of culture and standards Muz.

The reasons why the JV was formed have proven to be ill founded.

The Illawarra has a massive junior nursery but does not use it effectively.

St George was perceived to have the money, but the Leagues Club no longer properly subsidises the football side.

Illawarra is now a token JV member having sold its interest to WIN because it was insolvent.

WIN was to bring us corporate governance and professionalism. WIN clearly lack the ability to propel the JV towards success.

Each party has failed to deliver.

We are for all intent and purposes the Illawarra Steelers masquerading as STGI.

The best thing for all parties would be for the licence to be sold to a serious private corporate player interested in running a successful “brand” for profit.

No more jobs for the boys at admin or coaching level.

I would be happier to see the name St George play exclusively in a NSW Cup rather than be associated with this farcical JV.