What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France will play Western Rams in Parkes, mid-week October - Before 9's.

Burns

First Grade
https://www.centralwesterndaily.com...tional-rugby-league-heads-to-the-bush/?cs=104

"Rams coach Tim Ryan is hoping the best players in the region throw their hands up for selection after Western secured a game against France at Parkes in October.

The green and whites took on les Chanticleers at Bathurst in 1990 and the two proud rugby league regions will rekindle that rivalry when the French arrive in Australia for their tilt at the World 9s in Sydney later this year.

Western has played against FIRLA - the Federation of Italian Rugby League Australia - in recent years but this French outfit will be a full-blown national one, with players from the Super League and Elite One Championship competitions making up the tri-colours"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am so confused.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
https://www.centralwesterndaily.com...tional-rugby-league-heads-to-the-bush/?cs=104

"Rams coach Tim Ryan is hoping the best players in the region throw their hands up for selection after Western secured a game against France at Parkes in October.

The green and whites took on les Chanticleers at Bathurst in 1990 and the two proud rugby league regions will rekindle that rivalry when the French arrive in Australia for their tilt at the World 9s in Sydney later this year.

Western has played against FIRLA - the Federation of Italian Rugby League Australia - in recent years but this French outfit will be a full-blown national one, with players from the Super League and Elite One Championship competitions making up the tri-colours"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am so confused.
On paper the French should easily win but this is after all the French we are talking about!!!

Storm13

Juniors
This could be a French A side as rumours suggest that's who they are sending for the 9's?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Rotate between home and away. 3x Test series with the visitors participating in a local 9's comp.
Get one of the many multinational oil and gas corporations currently raping and pillaging PNG to put their name to and fund a 3 test series with games played in Port Moresby, Lae and mount hagen.

Pommy

Coach
I am more confused about why the French

Fly all this way

Won't play against say, PNG, Cook Islands (anyone)

Will play against the um *checks notes* the Western Rams?

The only thing I can think is it’s played against nobody in the arse end of nowhere so the costs to play this game will be minimal.
If they played cooks in Sydney then you have stadium hire and a lot more security etc. it has to be along those lines nothing else makes sense.

Pommy

Coach
Get one of the many multinational oil and gas corporations currently raping and pillaging PNG to put their name to and fund a 3 test series with games played in Port Moresby, Lae and mount hagen.

You always say this as if it’s that easy.
If people were capable of forcing these companies to give them money isn’t their more important things in a third world country than league?

yakstorm

First Grade
They are playing a Federation of Francais XIII, which is made up from the squad coming for the 9s, not the Les Chanticleers, and I bet not even all the players who run out for France at Bankwest Stadium.

https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2019/07/15/western-rams-announce-game-against-france-xiii/

It's a low cost warm up game which happens to have some historical significance. The Central West Daily has definitely used some 'creative license' when hyping up this fixture.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
If people were capable of forcing these companies to give them money isn’t their more important things in a third world country than league?
Yes I do always say that and I’ll give you my answer that I always give to this very important point that you raise. In an ideal world a bigger % of the large profits made by the huge multinational fossil fuel and mining corporations currently operating in the 3rd/developing world should be invested in social programs like housing, healthcare and education etc but unfortunately in the real world this doesn’t happen but every so often these corporations will put some of their money into sports like oil search who I’m guessing and feel free to correct me stumped up cash to either pay for the construction of the national stadium in Port Moresby or sponsor it(naming rights).

We could easily say that this money should have been invested in social programs instead of a sports stadium but they did and in my opinion it’s better to try and squeeze as much money out of these multinational corporations as possible for either sports or social interests.

ed612313

Juniors
Rotate between home and away. 3x Test series with the visitors participating in a local 9's comp.
100%. Complete farce that the NRL cant sort this out. Imagine if Yawnion had PNG at there door step... And PNG was majority white ;) Theyd be pumping so much money into them it wouldnt be funny. Absolute gold mine PNG is and the NRL is too stupid to realise.
I personally think the only way the NRL can justify another 2 teams is 1 in Oz and then the other comes from the Pacific/Melanesia. We have the depth for 1 more team in Oz atm with our players. The other has to come from overseas. The Hunters are slowly building players to NRL level but seems to be too late age wise atm (which is understandable given they are relatively new and given the circumstances in PNG). Money needs to be put into the juniors in PNG. From that a 2nd new NRL team would be an option.

ed612313

Juniors
It is easy... And you dont know PNG...

Latest posts