What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2020 - the Gospel According to Freddy

Jason Maher

Immortal
I have been reading from the Gospel of Freddy, and I have come to realise the deep wisdom of what might appear lunacy to the uninitiated. The secret to winning Origin for years to come for New South Wales is back rowers. Lots and lots of back rowers. With this insight in mind, I present a first stab at the team that will win the 2020 series 3-0 without raising a sweat.

1. Tyrone Peachey
2. Sione Mata'utia
3. Isaah Yeo
4. Ryan Matterson
5. Mitchell Aubusson
6. Curtis Sironen
7. Wade Graham
8. Jake Terbojevic
9. Victor Radley
10. Tyson Frizell
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Cameron Murray
13. Tariq Sims

14. Dale Finucane
15. Angus Crichton
16. Joel Thompson
17. Josh Jackson

18. Bryce Cartwright
19. Shaun Lane

Every player named has played both in the back row and in the position in which they're named. Peachey is the only player who doesn't regularly play back row, but he has played there often enough and I couldn't find another back rower who had played fullback.

Jason Maher

Immortal
In all seriousness, you'd have to think that barring a massive form drop or injury, most of the game 2 and game 3 squad returns next year. I'd have Tedesco, Cook, Cordner, both Turbos, Klemmer, Vaughan, Frizell, Ado-Carr, Graham, and Murray as certainties to return. That leaves the halves, Wighton and Ferguson vs Mitchell, Cotric, and maybe the likes of Ramien and Xerri, and a slew of forwards competing for a few spots (Finucane, Saifiti, Haas, Sims, Crichton, and maybe the likes of McLean, Radley, and Matterson).

In the halves, do we stick with the aging but winning combo of Maloney and Pearce? Will Luke Keary be able sustain his form for another 12 months, avoid more concussions, and finally get a go? Will Cleary be able to develop his game to be something more than reliable and solid and demand a recall? Are either of the Souths pair worth another shot? Are the likes of Brooks, Moses, and Gutherson good enough to be considered?

As for Latrell Mitchell, if his form is good enough to demand a recall, who makes way - Wighton or Ferguson (the latter would mean shifting Turbo to the wing)?

isaiah

Bench
In all seriousness, you'd have to think that barring a massive form drop or injury, most of the game 2 and game 3 squad returns next year. I'd have Tedesco, Cook, Cordner, both Turbos, Klemmer, Vaughan, Frizell, Ado-Carr, Graham, and Murray as certainties to return. That leaves the halves, Wighton and Ferguson vs Mitchell, Cotric, and maybe the likes of Ramien and Xerri, and a slew of forwards competing for a few spots (Finucane, Saifiti, Haas, Sims, Crichton, and maybe the likes of McLean, Radley, and Matterson).

In the halves, do we stick with the aging but winning combo of Maloney and Pearce? Will Luke Keary be able sustain his form for another 12 months, avoid more concussions, and finally get a go? Will Cleary be able to develop his game to be something more than reliable and solid and demand a recall? Are either of the Souths pair worth another shot? Are the likes of Brooks, Moses, and Gutherson good enough to be considered?

As for Latrell Mitchell, if his form is good enough to demand a recall, who makes way - Wighton or Ferguson (the latter would mean shifting Turbo to the wing)?
Good luck winning three series on the trot. Supposedly it takes 3 or 4 future immortals all playing together. I don’t think your current crop has any. Maybe Teddy?

King hit

Coach
@isaiah since Wednesday night

giphy.gif

isaiah

Bench
Good luck winning three series on the trot. Supposedly it takes 3 or 4 future immortals all playing together. I don’t think your current crop has any. Maybe Teddy?
Nsw have done it once in forty years and the pitiful arrogance that brought was a major factor in the eight we won after that. The all-time stats of series and games won had just been squared up with your three series but now: you will take another 40 to get square again.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Nsw have done it once in forty years and the pitiful arrogance that brought was a major factor in the eight we won after that. The all-time stats of series and games won had just been squared up with your three series but now: you will take another 40 to get square again.
A qlderp talking about arrogance :joy:
You are truly an oxygen thief

Spot On

Coach

Pfft. NSW are yet to recall their post contact metre eater RCG.

Farkin watch out then Mt Isa!

Legion

Juniors

Moses? No. Just no.

The last thing that NSW needs is a dickhead like Moses.

TheFrog

Coach
In all seriousness, you'd have to think that barring a massive form drop or injury, most of the game 2 and game 3 squad returns next year. I'd have Tedesco, Cook, Cordner,
Cordner let in the two tries that brought Qld level. His days might be numbered.

Will Cleary be able to develop his game to be something more than reliable and solid and demand a recall?

To be recalled you have to be dropped. Cleary was selected but failed a fitness test. It wouldn't hurt him to have a rest from Origin next year as long as there is someone better available.

Last edited:

The unknown

Juniors
Brooks could be ok with a dominant half with him, however watching him try to control a game is pretty cringe

I don't think in a million years he will get picked tho unless he bradburies his way in

Mitchell Pearce will have to get first option in 2020 because of the cut out pass he gave to Tommy Turbo at the end of Game 3, which led to the match winning try by James Tedesco.

King hit

Coach

NSW arrogant?

After old mate Kevie bragged about how Queensland will triumph without any doubt, claimed Queensland's performance in game 1 was a 5/10 and victory was a certainty in Perth. How about all of Queensland laughing at Brad Fittler before game 2

Queensland's stupidity and hypocrisy is beyond belief

TheFrog

Coach
Mitchell Pearce will have to get first option in 2020 because of the cut out pass he gave to Tommy Turbo at the end of Game 3, which led to the match winning try by James Tedesco.
Matt Moylan threw an identical pass (longer in fact) to Ferguson, who passed it to Tedesco, which led to a match winning try to Jennings. This happened in the dying moments of game 3, 2016. It didn't do Moylan any good the following year and won't do Pearce any good either.

Legion

Juniors
Cordner let in the two tries that brought Qld level. His days might be numbered.

Not that I disagree that they need to look closely at his spot for next year but would Freddy drop the captain after a series win? It would be a tough call for him to make.
Were the missed tackles a clear case of fatigue? I can't find the stats but I'm wondering if he played too many minutes.

Latest posts