What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should replace Lebanon in WC 2021?

RedVee

First Grade
World 9s is only open by invitation so standard is maintained

They could easily say that Lebanon no longer meets that minimum stanard and revoke that invitation

And probably should be, in order to sharpen the resolve to come to a way forward

langpark

First Grade
I'm still predicting Lebanon will hold their spot. Until there is an accusation of board misconduct from someone that actually matters, I have no reason to think otherwise.
Remember there is serious risk of creating another Greece here if the RLIF is forced to take harsh action. Be careful what you wish for...

IF Lebanon can't hold their spot, then I think it should go to the loser of Cook Islands v USA.

I think this is not the first time you have made this 'creating another Greece' comment, can you explain what you mean by that? Because right now, Rugby League is doing very well in Greece, both in men's and women's competitions and they are just win away from qualifying for a World Cup. So I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by that. Also, RLIF does not 'create' these conflicts, they are brought into them right at the end, after all other attempts of mediation and internal resolution have been exhausted.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think this is not the first time you have made this 'another Greece' comment, can you explain what you mean by that? Because right now, Rugby League is doing very well in Greece, both in men's and women's competitions and they are just win away from qualifying for a World Cup. So I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by that. Also, RLIF does not 'create' these conflicts, they are brought into them right at the end, after all other attempts of mediation and internal resolution have been exhausted.

Sorry, this is not a criticism of the people running the successful Greek team at all.

"The Greek situation" is one where the RLIF/EF was forced to expel a League for misconduct, unfortunately creating (for lack of a better word) a situation where the expelled body has government standing and is digging their heels in, and another body has RLIF backing.

My fear is, if the RLIF is forced step in and expel the LRLF as some people seem to want, that the LRLF dig their heels in and we end up with another split. We can't afford to be pushing national bodies towards organisations like "World Rugby League" and giving them legitimacy.

langpark

First Grade
Sorry, this is not a criticism of the people running the successful Greek team at all.

"The Greek situation" is one where the RLIF/EF was forced to expel a League for misconduct, unfortunately creating (for lack of a better word) a situation where the expelled body has government standing and is digging their heels in, and another body has RLIF backing.

My fear is, if the RLIF is forced step in and expel the LRLF as some people seem to want, that the LRLF dig their heels in and we end up with another split. We can't afford to be pushing national bodies towards organisations like "World Rugby League" and giving them legitimacy.
Ok, fair point, but at the same time, if you have a situation where you have corrupt tyrants vs genuine rugby league players and community, trying to do the right thing for the game, then unfortunately, RLIF has no choice in which one to back. It's by no means the 'easy' route either, as quite often these people have big political clout and are well-connected. But I am convinced that for the long-term good of the game, we must support the genuine Rugby League people. (I am an outsider, not involved in Lebanon RL, so cannot claim to know what's going on, but based on what I have seen, something is seriously dodgy seems to be going on with the Lebanese Federation).

adamkungl

Immortal
I know people who have started and progressed new Rugby League nations.
It's not hard to find "Genuine Rugby League people" who think they know better than the people actually doing the work, who seed negativity and throw their toys out of the cot if they don't get their own way.

Infighting is Genuine Rugby League DNA.

MKCS

Juniors
I said earlier in the year during the Pacific Tests that Lebanon could be really competitive if the board could get along with the key Australian players. That should be their top priority.

Players with NRL experience available to Lebanon:

Abbas Miski, Adam Doueihi, Alex Twal, Josh Mansour, Michael Lichaa, Mitchell Moses, Reece Robinson

They've also got a fair few players who are signed by NRL clubs but yet to debut. Between those 7 players the squad has at least 300-400 games of NRL experience. I think if those guys play along with Farah and Mannah in this years match against Fiji we see a much more competitive Lebanon.

It'd be a shame if all those players had to miss out and Lebanon also. The fans at the Fiji game were awesome.

Latest posts