What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Is Tim Sheens coming back to the NRL?

In the Fox Sports TV show "NRL Tonight" for Wednesday, it was reported that Tim Sheens was being considered for the Gold Coast Titans coaching job. It is important to note that Sheens coached Mal Meninga at Canberra for years, and Big Mal is an influential voice at the Titans today. Sheens has a brilliant record in Australian rugby league, winning three Grand Finals with the Canberra Raiders (1989, 1990, 1994) and one at Wests Tigers (2005). He was also coach of Australia (2009-2015).

Later Sheens had a less impressive record in the UK, having failed to get much success with Salford Red Devils, where he was Director of Rugby from June 2015 till the end of 2016, and then at Hull KIngston Rovers, from where he was sacked in June of this year.

However Sheens, at age 68 (a year younger than Wayne Bennett) has a lot of experience, and a mostly very successful resume, and could be a solid choice for the Titans, should the Titans' Board's first choice, Kevin Walters, turn them down..

Front-Rower

First Grade
Just what the Titans need imo fits the culture well

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...d/news-story/12b94c7f2fb0f688267c0f3bd030ade7

“Rovers back Will Dagger described the former Kangaroos coach as not being “strict enough” while saying the coach’s style was too “relaxed”.”

“Tim was a bit too relaxed sometimes. With everybody being down and you know it’s too relaxed. I feel like you can’t get a buzz around training and when you’re losing game after game, it’s just not a nice place to be. Tim, sometimes he wasn't strict enough. I like to know if I’ve messed up, I’ll hold my hands up and I want someone to come say this is your fault, go away, work on it. You get some mixed things from him, one week it could be this, next week it could be that. You just didn't know where you stood with him.”

shaggs

Coach
Tim Sheens, the 14th Anglo Australian coach to learn his trade in Canberra before taking that dream to England, finally full circle back to where it all began. The glitter strip.

Who on the Gold Coast can replicate the former Irish international man of steel, pat richards, with the spiralling kick offs ??

Fangs

Coach
Timothy Sheens would be a fantastic addition to the Titans as an attacking coach. The other areas of his coaching leave little to be desired.

Clearly, Brian Smith should be the next coach of the Gold Coast Titans.

Timothy Sheens is the one coach who can turn the Titans' season around. If they can get Sheens in place quickly enough, the Titans could still have a long shot at the playoffs. And if they do make the playoffs then anything is possible.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve never seen a worse defensive effort at Hull Kr than this year. Not sure of his coaching abilities but he can’t coach defence for toffee!

I’ve never seen a worse defensive effort at Hull Kr than this year. Not sure of his coaching abilities but he can’t coach defence for toffee!

You are correct. Tim Sheens doesn't like toffee. Yet toffee is what the Hull KR management was feeding him during training and before and during the games, which partly explains Hull KR's problems in defence.

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Not sure about Tim Sheens as the answer for the Titans. Didn't do much of anything when with the Cowboys. Yes he won a GF with the Tigers but that was down to Benji Marshall being freakish form as much as anything.
Having half the Aus team kind of helped in Canberra.

Brian Smith could be an interesting choice though. He's good at building teams, just not so great when it comes to Grand Finals.

Really hope the Titans get this right. RL on the on the GC should be successful. Either way I'll probably renew my 4 game Titans season pass next year and do my bit to help as small as it is.

Fangs

Coach
Brian Smith has been biding his time. His is the current Football Manager at the New Zealand Warriors and formerly a consultant for the Serbian Rugby League team. The same Serbian team that qualified for their first world cup in 2016.

I am sure that Brian is ready to return to the NRL as a first grade coach.

Brian Smith has been biding his time. His is the current Football Manager at the New Zealand Warriors and formerly a consultant for the Serbian Rugby League team. The same Serbian team that qualified for their first world cup in 2016.

I am sure that Brian is ready to return to the NRL as a first grade coach.

Brian Smith is a failed coach in Australia and the UK. He has never won a Grand Final in either country. He is better off coaching in Serbia where he can raise the players from a lower plateau of performance.

Sphagnum

Coach
Might be time for NRL to give the tits to someone who desperately needs them (like the new ref)

The gold coast is just a sporting graveyard.

Latest posts