What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

OldPanther

Coach
Here you go. Storm/Manly highlights. Hopefully the channel can grow so I can buy better equipment and most importantly (to me at least) maybe can change the perception of the game to be a bit more positive as I get the good stories to tell I've emailed a fee clubs including Panthers:

Dave's mate

Juniors
Here you go. Storm/Manly highlights. Hopefully the channel can grow so I can buy better equipment and most importantly (to me at least) maybe can change the perception of the game to be a bit more positive as I get the good stories to tell I've emailed a fee clubs including Panthers:

The NRL are complete f**kwits who will most probably get your vids pulled mate. Shortsighted incompetent fools

OldPanther

Coach
The NRL are complete f**kwits who will most probably get your vids pulled mate. Shortsighted incompetent fools

I contacted them 3 times before doing it with the last one saying they'll chase up the right people for permissions and guidelines etc. Never heard back haha.

The Broncos emailed me and said they liked my video which is cool.

Panther FIRE

Juniors
Hi everyone, I’m new to contributing to the forum. Reading it for a while now. Grew up in Penrith and still live here. Played ra-ra all through my high school years but switched to league after watching Brad Drew lead an undermanned Penrith team to a win over Brisbane at Panther Stadium. I want to say 1998 or 99. Watching the 2003 grand final was obviously a massive highlight and solidified me as a Panther for life.

I just wanted to ask, why the 2010 season gets overlooked a bit by Panther fans? It was a great roster and they played some good attacking footy. I’m genuinely interested to see what people think. Leary, Elliot and co. get a lot of hate from fans but they led us to our best finish since 2003. Finished with 34 points. Granted a straight sets exit from the finals is no selling point. Gus, Cleary, Hook, etc. haven’t gotten us close to that high a finish since then. As I said, genuinely interested to hear what people think.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Hi everyone, I’m new to contributing to the forum. Reading it for a while now. Grew up in Penrith and still live here. Played ra-ra all through my high school years but switched to league after watching Brad Drew lead an undermanned Penrith team to a win over Brisbane at Panther Stadium. I want to say 1998 or 99. Watching the 2003 grand final was obviously a massive highlight and solidified me as a Panther for life.

I just wanted to ask, why the 2010 season gets overlooked a bit by Panther fans? It was a great roster and they played some good attacking footy. I’m genuinely interested to see what people think. Leary, Elliot and co. get a lot of hate from fans but they led us to our best finish since 2003. Finished with 34 points. Granted a straight sets exit from the finals is no selling point. Gus, Cleary, Hook, etc. haven’t gotten us close to that high a finish since then. As I said, genuinely interested to hear what people think.
Bomb and hope didn't count for shit when it mattered

Abacus

Juniors
Towards the end of that season, they let the media get to them (like some in here) and they went away from the "bomb and hope". I never really understood why they didn't just stick with what was working for them - a sign of Elliott's mental weakness and wanting to be liked maybe? None were better than Coote under the high ball and Walsh was landing them in the right place consistently.

But in answer to the original question, I think going out of the finals in straight sets after finishing 2nd in the regular season, and the crap years before and after, is the reason most fans don't rate it. Treated as a lucky season.

Panther FIRE

Juniors

Nothing anyone has done after that season has counted for anything more really. A few season's we have had lower table finishes and one win in the finals. That's it. The Panther's recent PTB can sing about how much better we are now but they haven't achieved anything more than 2010 with Leary, Elliot and co really.

maple_69

Bench
For me 2016 was the best Penrith have looked since 2004. The first final against the Dogs capped a run of I think 11 from 14 including some stompings. It was one of the rare occasions I’ve thought our attack looked undefendable. It was a long shot and obviously didn’t go anywhere further but that’s the only time I could see us being capable of getting through the favourites.

2010 and 2014 you kinda knew we were too one dimensional.

OldPanther

Coach
Nothing anyone has done after that season has counted for anything more really. A few season's we have had lower table finishes and one win in the finals. That's it. The Panther's recent PTB can sing about how much better we are now but they haven't achieved anything more than 2010 with Leary, Elliot and co really.

You have a point. I think it's the consistency now people prefer.

martielang

Bench
For me 2016 was the best Penrith have looked since 2004. The first final against the Dogs capped a run of I think 11 from 14 including some stompings. It was one of the rare occasions I’ve thought our attack looked undefendable. It was a long shot and obviously didn’t go anywhere further but that’s the only time I could see us being capable of getting through the favourites.

2010 and 2014 you kinda knew we were too one dimensional.

Yep tend to agree. 2016 copped a couple of key injuries at the wrong time (& throughout the year) which dudded us a real shot imo. It’s part of the game but also seems to conveniently gets overlooked by those trying to tear down the great man A. Griffin.

@Panther FIRE is right though, 2010 is a year most of us brush aside when we probably shouldn’t. Elliott & co did an outstanding job with a squad that would struggle to make the top 14 this year. Walsh’ short kicking game was exceptional. Another player that continuously gets heat when he was actually a very solid halfback for the majority of time but unfortunately lost a bit of confidence at the back end of his stint.

Pomoz

Bench
Hmm, I think finishing in the top 8, 4 out of 5 years, is better achievement than finishing second once. Not to mention the juniors success and the number of Panther juniors in the team. We had one-off success with Elliot, what we have now is a platform for sustained success. If we don't blow it, that is.