What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we lock the gameday thread?

Do you want the gameday thread to be locked?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Couldn't give a shit

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Lock the thread an hour or two after full time

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

84 Baby

Referee
I’ve had a slight change of opinion after yesterday. I think after say half hour to hour we should close thread. For those watching and posting during the game, it provides an outlet for a debrief, whether cathartic or celebratory. But once that’s done a more reasoned thread is good

Dibs

Bench
I’ve had a slight change of opinion after yesterday. I think after say half hour to hour we should close thread. For those watching and posting during the game, it provides an outlet for a debrief, whether cathartic or celebratory. But once that’s done a more reasoned thread is good
Ffs that’s not one of the options. We will have to start a new poll now

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ffs that’s not one of the options. We will have to start a new poll now

Could be an option if the support is there.

There has been a case put forward that some people like to go through the matchday thread after the game, possibly because they were at the game, and reply to certain posts.

Some people like to reply to posts as they read them but there is another 10 pages or so. If we have a post match discussion and leave the game day thread then it allows every one to do both. If there is support for this we can make it happen.

Ultimately we want to be able to provide the best possible experience for everyone.

Gronk

Staff member
I’ve added your option

Thanks Twizzle.

I don't think we should be locking threads. Whether people want to reply to a post in the gameday thread immediately after the game, an hour after, the next day or 10 years from now, I think they should be allowed to. And tbh I don't see the need for a post match thread. The game thread becomes the post match thread anyway, and as I've said all along, it isn't hard to work out where post match discussion starts.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I don’t mind a post match thread but lean towards leaving the game day thread open. I voted no.

Great stuff allowing this to go to a poll though Twizz. If most people want it closed then that’s what should happen. Similarly, if people want it left open then thats what should happen.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don’t mind a post match thread but lean towards leaving the game day thread open. I voted no.

Great stuff allowing this to go to a poll though Twizz. If most people want it closed then that’s what should happen. Similarly, if people want it left open then thats what should happen.
My thoughts as well, yesterday I was just happy to post in the NRL thread. If they won’t be locking the thread I’ll happily post in here.

Dibs

Bench
I voted no but my true position is somewhere between no and I couldn’t give a shit.

strider

Post Whore
I voted No

but I am fine with locking 30 mins to 1 hour after the game finishes if there is a good reason to do so

TheParraboy

Staff member
Looks like we wont be locking the game day thread, unless there be a liberal type ambush on its way :D

All good, thought it was a great idea when it was initially mentioned. Clear cut difference between the two type of threads, anyway...

There is a lot of post match discussion in yesterdays game with no quotes from the game (as there has been in the past), so to me if we are not locking the game at FT, then pointless locking the game thread anytime afterwards and creating a post thread because here is where quoting will actually be needed.

onward and upward

Go Parra :sunglasses:

The gameday thread is just the place where we discuss the game. It doesn't become a more mature or rational discussion by chopping it off and holding the discussion in a different thread. It is simply the passing of time that does that.

And locking legitimate threads seems like massive overkill to me. Unlocked threads are obviously no danger because every thread remains unlocked. What if someone was away for a couple of games and wanted to read through the gameday thread and then reply to some posts? No danger in that at all and it's exactly what this place should be about. And we all remember Maroubra Eel, who'd want to stop what he used to do? Or anyone else? There could be tonnes of reasons that nobody has even thought of yet where someone might want to post in an old thread. Let's not make it impossible.

Looks like we wont be locking the game day thread, unless there be a liberal type ambush on its way :D

All good, thought it was a great idea when it was initially mentioned. Clear cut difference between the two type of threads, anyway...

There is a lot of post match discussion in yesterdays game with no quotes from the game (as there has been in the past), so to me if we are not locking the game at FT, then pointless locking the game thread anytime afterwards and creating a post thread because here is where quoting will actually be needed.

onward and upward

Go Parra :sunglasses:
Great news. Thankyou sir!

Gronk

Staff member
The gameday thread is just the place where we discuss the game. It doesn't become a more mature or rational discussion by chopping it off and holding the discussion in a different thread. It is simply the passing of time that does that.

It's all good and back to the way it was. I totally understand that merkins felt that they needed to be able to quote comments in the game day thread after full time. The thing is that they didn't much yesterday and historically don't.

And locking legitimate threads seems like massive overkill to me. Unlocked threads are obviously no danger because every thread remains unlocked. What if someone was away for a couple of games and wanted to read through the gameday thread and then reply to some posts? No danger in that at all and it's exactly what this place should be about. And we all remember Maroubra Eel, who'd want to stop what he used to do? Or anyone else? There could be tonnes of reasons that nobody has even thought of yet where someone might want to post in an old thread. Let's not make it impossible.

Hardly a reason to go all not happy jan all week.

Anywho the Poll has spoken. I will leave it to @Poupou Escobar to comment on the sample size.

It's all good and back to the way it was. I totally understand that merkins felt that they needed to be able to quote comments in the game day thread after full time. The thing is that they didn't much yesterday and historically don't.

Hardly a reason to go all not happy jan all week.

Anywho the Poll has spoken. I will leave it to @Poupou Escobar to comment on the sample size.
Let's not spoil the moment mate. Everybody's happy now.

Gronk

Staff member
Let's not spoil the moment mate. Everybody's happy now.

giphy.gif