What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
When Aiton hit first grade lots of people thought he was going to be a star, he turned out a solid hooker but he never really improved from his early form.

Egan could be that solid, honest hooker. But so far I don’t see much more than that.

Not just that touch wood it doesn't happen but a spine player could always miss the start of the season with injury.

Say Egan isn't there round 1. Then what? Same to Cleary. Luai would be the senior playmaker after what 10 starting games? A player or 2 will need to come in or we will struggle

betcats

Referee
Paul Aiton....there’s a guy I completely forgot existed. He was a decent hooker.

I think if there’s a good hooker out there who’s not still developing(ie Api) we try and sign them for whatever is a good price. Not giving up on Kenny or Egan by any means but depth and experience and valuable.

The way I see it we’re a team on the cusp of the top 4 that’s about to lose its most influential player, you can’t just automatically fall back on the next guys coming through. You need to keep pushing to make the team better now.

If we can’t find the right guy at least we’ve got options.

Panther Pete

Juniors
So we have released Cartwright, Merrin, Peachey, CHN, Waqa, DWZ and now Maloney. In that time we have bought Winterstein, resigned Mansour and I am guessing moderate upgrades to To’o and Nader but unless I have missed someone we must have a heap of cash to spend.

So we have released Cartwright, Merrin, Peachey, CHN, Waqa, DWZ and now Maloney. In that time we have bought Winterstein, resigned Mansour and I am guessing moderate upgrades to To’o and Nader but unless I have missed someone we must have a heap of cash to spend.

Kikau, Cleary & RCG got big upgrades.

It’s all guesswork but I’d say we have in the vicinity of 900k to 1.3m free, after we fill top 30 with upgrades from within.

If we don’t spend much of it, we could have around $2m free for 2021 with Tamou coming off the books.

Although if guys like Naden & Luai keep improving you’re going to have to upgrade them.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
There is no doubt allowing Maloney to leave 1 year early will have given the club some salary cap space to go into the market place and recruit from outside the club for 2020.

I think there is a likelihood there will be more players released at the end of the season, those seeking opportunities elsewhere where they perhaps are more likely to get a crack at playing in the NRL. Nic Lou Toso is one such prime candidate, has some ability but has dropped down the pecking order here and is probably surplus to requirements.

Given the necessary upgrades to at least half a dozen or more young players who will be in our top 30 for next year I don’t think we will have as much money as many believe but hopefully enough for two or three good quality experienced NRL players to add to our depth.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s all guesswork but I’d say we have in the vicinity of 900k to 1.3m free, after we fill top 30 with upgrades from within.

If we don’t spend much of it, we could have around $2m free for 2021 with Tamou coming off the books.

Can’t remember the specific figure, but is there not a requirement that each club has to spend a specific amount of there salary cap ie 90%. Cap space that is not used cannot be ‘saved’ or used in the following season or seasons which is why some clubs have been known to front load or upgrade a players contract when there is free cap space. I probably haven’t worded this that well but I’m sure you get my meaning.

For example, if we have free space for 2020 we can give Tamou a one year deal for 2021 at say $300K for the season but upgrade him for 2020 and give him an extra 200K next year that way he is getting $500K overall. The same would apply to any player just using Tamou as an example.

There is a minimum spend, but you can simply plug the gap with some short term signings.

or knowing that you’ve got $2 million free in 2021, you can offer a deal after nov 1 for a guy who’s not off contract until the end of 2020, and try to negotiate for him to come early in 2020. That’s getting more common now.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m sure the club may have specific potential recruits identified but looking at a list of players off contract at the end of this season there doesn’t appear to be too many standouts.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m sure the club may have specific potential recruits identified but looking at a list of players off contract at the end of this season there doesn’t appear to be too many standouts.

Contracts rarely expire. Given we are after short term deals better bang for buck is too get cast offs that other clubs are subsiding.

For example I'd pay $300k for Reynolds... Get the Tigers to pay the rest. A few of those deals for 1-2 years.

Still gives cap space long term as guys develop or to go after Elite players but we have options for next year

Panfa

Juniors
Our top 30 should look something like this = edwards laurie mansour too chrichton whare naden mcgrady luai burton cleary may Cartwright johns fisher harris yeo kikau tamou kenny egan leota Campbell gillard leniu martin burns blore blore winterstein sele ellis

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Maloney to Catalan Dragons was a done deal months ago although only being made official today.

The decisions to release DWZ and Blake were made well and truly after the club was well aware Maloney was not going to be at the club in 2020 so there being released was not just about the salary cap it was also about attitude and what they brought to the side going forward.

There will no doubt be one or two fresh faces for 2020 but I am not expecting any big name or big money signings.

I Totally agree. There will also be some new kids comming through too.

Fangs

Coach
Contracts rarely expire. Given we are after short term deals better bang for buck is too get cast offs that other clubs are subsiding.

For example I'd pay $300k for Reynolds... Get the Tigers to pay the rest. A few of those deals for 1-2 years.

Still gives cap space long term as guys develop or to go after Elite players but we have options for next year

If it's 300k for a back up half/utility id look at Blake Austin. 28, experienced and not as injury prone as Reynolds.

I know that's not really your point but the Josh Reynolds situation has me thinking: what club would would sign him? He and Foran are just way too injury prone to justify even that amount of money.

If it's 300k for a back up half/utility id look at Blake Austin. 28, experienced and not as injury prone as Reynolds.

I know that's not really your point but the Josh Reynolds situation has me thinking: what club would would sign him? He and Foran are just way too injury prone to justify even that amount of money.

I’d welcome an Austin comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts