What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

OldPanther

Coach
Seems like everyone has got it in for us this yr from the refs to video refs to judiciary to jounalist :laughing:

The fox side definitely seem to. They stuck it to the club over Griffin and now this. Hope everyone enjoys the video. It's not something I ever had practice at before the last few weeks.

Panther FIRE

Juniors
Hmm, I think finishing in the top 8, 4 out of 5 years, is better achievement than finishing second once. Not to mention the juniors success and the number of Panther juniors in the team. We had one-off success with Elliot, what we have now is a platform for sustained success. If we don't blow it, that is.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I tend to agree that a bit of consistency is better than a roller coaster ride. But that 2010 team is underrated in my opinion. Waterhouse, Lewis, Petro, Flash, Coote, Jennings, McKendry (a young aggressive version), even Wade Graham got a few good games in... I was a closet fan of Walsh too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Elliot as a coach at all. But I'm not a fan of Cleary either. Seems like a top, top bloke but not an elite coach. Hook was an improvement on both but with obvious, big faults. But he got a lot right. The level of fitness the boys had and their ability to run over the top of teams in the last twenty was spot on. Somehow that became a negative. As he kept saying, the game goes for 80 minutes. His teams offered up a lot more that Cleary's did tonight. That's for sure.

The amazing thing was that there were too master coaches without a job that we overlooked to bring Cleary back. Crazy, crazy stuff. Not much better than what Leary and co did I reckon. We all know how that turned out.

Now on to the inevitable 're-build' while the current PTB buy some time. Well, I'm a Penrith man and will stick solid while this all takes its course. Frustrating though.

Pomoz

Bench
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I tend to agree that a bit of consistency is better than a roller coaster ride. But that 2010 team is underrated in my opinion. Waterhouse, Lewis, Petro, Flash, Coote, Jennings, McKendry (a young aggressive version), even Wade Graham got a few good games in... I was a closet fan of Walsh too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Elliot as a coach at all. But I'm not a fan of Cleary either. Seems like a top, top bloke but not an elite coach. Hook was an improvement on both but with obvious, big faults. But he got a lot right. The level of fitness the boys had and their ability to run over the top of teams in the last twenty was spot on. Somehow that became a negative. As he kept saying, the game goes for 80 minutes. His teams offered up a lot more that Cleary's did tonight. That's for sure.

The amazing thing was that there were too master coaches without a job that we overlooked to bring Cleary back. Crazy, crazy stuff. Not much better than what Leary and co did I reckon. We all know how that turned out.

Now on to the inevitable 're-build' while the current PTB buy some time. Well, I'm a Penrith man and will stick solid while this all takes its course. Frustrating though.
The 2010 team wasn't bad, but ageing. Waterhouse and Petro were in the twilight of their careers and young Grham left the next year. With the right coach they could have done better in 2011.

I agree with your rating of Cleary and the process that led to his appointment. I called him "Dave's mate" on this forum because he is a friend of the Chairman Dave O'Neill and that seems the principle reason he was hired. The name seems to have stuck and is a searing indictment of the unprofessional cronyism that has blighted the Panthers over many years.

As Martie Lang said. Griffin in comparison to Dave's mate is a coaching genius.

Panfa

Juniors
There was no urgency in our performance tonight we had a great opportunity to kick clear in the top 8 and we fumbled our way to this yrs wooden spooners.Mansour whare need to go out backline is crap and our halves are incompetent got no idea.20 sets on the dogs line and couldn't score if we played till midnight useless.

Dave's mate

Juniors
If Matt Elliott died id smile for a week. Wade Graham is a f**king freak and its so sad hes not a all time great Panther. Imagine not rating him?

Panfa

Juniors
I think our season has ended tonight we wont beat the sharks next week they just pumped souths and jumped us in the 8.We are not serious about playing semis if we were we would have smashed the dogs tonight.Cleary and maloney should be nicknamed dumb and dumber 2 state of origin halves outplayed by lewis and cogger f**k me.Martin tried hard but geez hes clumsy got terrible hands,kikau cant come back quick enough.Surely jed Cartwright or chrichton could come in for dean whare hes got no speed and his defence was terrible.

Panfa

Juniors
Maloney charged with tripping hes got carry over points even with an early guilty plea hes out for 1 week these suspensions are killing our top 8 chances lose to sharks friday and we are good as gone.

TheFrog

Coach
The fox side definitely seem to. They stuck it to the club over Griffin and now this. Hope everyone enjoys the video. It's not something I ever had practice at before the last few weeks.
Those I know who've done this sort of thing have improved the quality markedly over time. Practice makes perfect. You should try skits a la Natalie Tran, such as interviewing people like Paul Kent and Graham Annesley, with yourself playing both roles of course. Only if you are happy to have your mug in the video. Natalie has the advantage of being quite cute.

OldPanther

Coach
Those I know who've done this sort of thing have improved the quality markedly over time. Practice makes perfect. You should try skits a la Natalie Tran, such as interviewing people like Paul Kent and Graham Annesley, with yourself playing both roles of course. Only if you are happy to have your mug in the video. Natalie has the advantage of being quite cute.

Yeah I lack the cuteness haha.

Crashtest

Juniors
How much is a star fullback worth these days? $1.5 million a season apparently if your Kalyn Ponga.

Hooper reporting that Ponga's management are chasing a $6 million four year extension with the Knights.

Does that figure increase the amount Tom Trbojevic can ask for, given the reported Manly offer will be $1.1 million to keep him?

Lets hope that Staines or Laurie turn into an elite ball playing NRL fullback, as we certainly can't afford to buy one if these are the going rates for the best fullbacks to stay with their current clubs. Imagine what the offers would need to be from clubs trying to pinch them?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a9c32938c509c472743b6b026cc950ea

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
How much is a star fullback worth these days? $1.5 million a season apparently if your Kalyn Ponga.

Hooper reporting that Ponga's management are chasing a $6 million four year extension with the Knights.

Does that figure increase the amount Tom Trbojevic can ask for, given the reported Manly offer will be $1.1 million to keep him?

Lets hope that Staines or Laurie turn into an elite ball playing NRL fullback, as we certainly can't afford to buy one if these are the going rates for the best fullbacks to stay with their current clubs. Imagine what the offers would need to be from clubs trying to pinch them?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a9c32938c509c472743b6b026cc950ea

Even if he is personally worth that he needs to realise he has to have a good team around him which can't happen if he takes all the cap.

Flashstep

Juniors
Well our club are and will forever be complete f**kwits when it comes to running things, not like there was any good coaches on the market, well besides Hasler, Bennett and Maguire...

We would have been much better off just giving Nathan Cleary to the Tigers. Now Ivan is gonna continue releasing overpaid players and use the good ol rebuilding phase line to buy time, strangely though there will always be 1 overpaid player safe from the chopping block.

chrisD

Coach
I don't see any reason to have faith in Cleary being able to fix our attack, but I have no reason to think other coaches could have. The problem existed before Cleary1, persisted after Cleary1 and remains now in Cleary2. Moylan was the only thing that made a difference.

Hasler left the Dogs a rabble. He's walked in to Manly with a great roster and the win brothers hitting their straps. Bennett left the Knights and Broncos f**ked and walked into a premiership ready roster at Souths.

Cleary walked into DWZ on top tier fullback money and RCG a best prop in the world contract, no hooker, a worthless backline and no Matty.

I don't see any reason to have faith in Cleary being able to fix our attack, but I have no reason to think other coaches could have. The problem existed before Cleary1, persisted after Cleary1 and remains now in Cleary2. Moylan was the only thing that made a difference.

Hasler left the Dogs a rabble. He's walked in to Manly with a great roster and the win brothers hitting their straps. Bennett left the Knights and Broncos f**ked and walked into a premiership ready roster at Souths.

Cleary walked into DWZ on top tier fullback money and RCG a best prop in the world contract, no hooker, a worthless backline and no Matty.

Moylan doesn’t explain the difference between this year & last year in attack, and then you also have the Tigers attack improving without Cleary.

21.5 point per game last year wasn’t amazing or anything, but significantly better than this year.

BxTom

Bench
Moylan doesn’t explain the difference between this year & last year in attack, and then you also have the Tigers attack improving without Cleary.

21.5 point per game last year wasn’t amazing or anything, but significantly better than this year.
But, but, but, we've taken a step forward!

Thanks Dave.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I rate Ivan and Hook pretty much the same. The real loss was Moylan and picking up a declining Jimmy. His 2017 season was awful for the Sharks and we still signed him

Latest posts