What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Have An Idea For Finals Football; It's Controversial, But I Reckon It Would Be Great; Help Wanted!

Eelementary

Post Whore
So, basically, my controversial idea is that the Minor Premiers automatically qualify for the Grand Final.

My thinking is that if they are the best side over 25 weeks, it would be criminal for them not to make the big dance at season's end.

But what to do with the other Finalists?

Tbh, I've no idea. Enter you guys!

So, basically, my controversial idea is that the Minor Premiers automatically qualify for the Grand Final.

My thinking is that if they are the best side over 25 weeks, it would be criminal for them not to make the big dance at season's end.

Well the other finalists don't actually have to be finalists. For instance you could make it so that only three teams go through to the finals, and second and third play off to meet the minor premiers in the grand final. It's an interesting idea but I doubt it's got a snowball's chance because less matches, particularly finals matches, means less money. Personally I think it's ridiculous that we play an entire season and then half the teams play the finals.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well the other finalists don't actually have to be finalists. For instance you could make it so that only three teams go through to the finals, and second and third play off to meet the minor premiers in the grand final. It's an interesting idea but I doubt it's got a snowball's chance because less matches, particularly finals matches, means less money. Personally I think it's ridiculous that we play an entire season and then half the teams play the finals.

Yeah, it'll never happen in a million years.

I have just always thought that the Minor Premiers should be rewarded; they are the most consistent side all year, and it would be just reward for that, imo.

But the NRL would never go for it.

I suppose it is exciting that, even if you finish as Minor Premiers, you may still not make a Grand Final.

Although maybe you could add finals series's, much like origin. And then the grand final would also be a series of games. The bonus would be that we'd have footy almost the entire year.

Yeah, it'll never happen in a million years.

I have just always thought that the Minor Premiers should be rewarded; they are the most consistent side all year, and it would be just reward for that, imo.

But the NRL would never go for it.

I suppose it is exciting that, even if you finish as Minor Premiers, you may still not make a Grand Final.
I agree that the minor premiers aren't rewarded near enough. In fact I think they should probably just be the premiers. But I don't think they like that cos it brings less money and also a finals series makes it more of a lottery, so the poorer teams still have a shot. Which is good for us I guess.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, I agree with you guys - I started watching footy seriously in 2000.

During the 2001 season, I was celebrating like an idiot, because I thought we were the champions after the final round.

My cousins then explained to me that we had to play some Finals games, and I was confused as anything.

I agree that Minor Premiers should be champions - they're the most consistently good team over the season, and deserve it.

But if the NRL won't allow that, I was trying to think outside the box a little.

Not that they'd go for my idea, anyway.

Incorrect

Coach
Our game has never been about first past the post ... so no need to reward em more than home finals games .... the aim is to win a GF and that requires making the finals in as best shape you can and winning finals games
My suggestion was pretty much tongue in cheek. The home and away format with no finals wouldn't work for our game. Unlike most domestic soccer comps where that format is the norm, we don't have the incentive of Top 6 finishes to play Champions League/Europa Cup for instance, or the threat of relegation at the other end....

Unless we expand and split in to 2 10 team comps with promotion/relegation.... Can't see it happening.... We're flat out running the game as it is, no room for anything beyond what happens tonight or next week at best....

These are, in fact, one step back from the original rules of the NSWRL. It was a little bit different, but IIRC the GF was only played if the Minor Premiers lost their semi-final....or something like that.

JokerEel

Coach
Semis with 5

Week 1
Team 1 bye
Teams 2 v 3
Teams 4 v 5 Loser out

Week2
Team 1 v winner of 2/3. Winner to GF
Loser of team 2/3 v Winner 4v5

Week3
Loser of Team 1, 2/3 v winner of the other game... Winner through to GF

Week 4 GF
Winners of the previous games
you work it out I am tired.

Noise

Coach
The NRL are never going to reduce the top 8 because it means less games and more fans lose interest earlier if their team can’t make the semis - see the dragons crowd at home yesterday for an example.

If anything the NRL are more likely to increase the teams in the semis (eg that stupid wildcard thing that has been proposed).

Top 6 would be best IMO but as I said will never happen.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The NRL are never going to reduce the top 8 because it means less games and more fans lose interest earlier if their team can’t make the semis - see the dragons crowd at home yesterday for an example.

If anything the NRL are more likely to increase the teams in the semis (eg that stupid wildcard thing that has been proposed).

Top 6 would be best IMO but as I said will never happen.

Well, I mean, making the Minor Premiers go straight to the Grand Final doesn't reduce the top 8 per se (ok, it does, by one); it adds extra incentive for the team coming second to push extra hard to try to finish in first place, and it rewards the Minor Premiers for being the best.

I know it will never happen, but I just thought it would add extra spice to the race to the Minor Premiership.

Noise

Coach
Well, I mean, making the Minor Premiers go straight to the Grand Final doesn't reduce the top 8 per se (ok, it does, by one); it adds extra incentive for the team coming second to push extra hard to try to finish in first place, and it rewards the Minor Premiers for being the best.

I know it will never happen, but I just thought it would add extra spice to the race to the Minor Premiership.

It would also means the minor premiers sit around doing nothing for 3-4 weeks. And so would their fans.

Kornstar

Coach
The problem is that you can't have the minor premiership winning team wait 4 weeks to play their next game.

I agree that the minor premiers should get the best road through, i just don't know how it is possible with the fact that they want more games played, not less.