What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs the Donkeys

Panther FIRE

Juniors
Great win on the weekend! One of the best I have seen in a few years from the Panthers. I enjoyed it so much mainly due to the fact that there were so many young guys playing.

Hopefully that was our ‘Baby Broncos’ game and the club can build the next few years on the character some of the first season guys showed/are showing. I remember 2003 when we had 19 yo Lewis and Rooney on the wings along with young cubs Rodney, Waterhouse and Swain adding much needed energy and enthusiasm from the bench.

Having said that, I’m not confident about this week. Especially with the Broncos in Brisbane. They’ll get the rub of the green with the refs for sure. In any case, it is going to be good to watch the newer boys go around again and get another chance to see what they’re made of.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Obviously

giphy.gif

OldPanther

Coach
So the short version is Panthers are more at fault not the refs based on all the variables I can calculate. Will post the video when I'm done but it'll take hours.

tripster

Juniors
I don't think the ref has it in for us (though some are incompetent) but all referees have different interpretations and styles.

Some referees keep strict 10 metres others not so. Some left let the defenders hold down a little longer, others are more stricter making harder to reset defensive lines. Thereby incurring penalties.

Something to look into maybe Klein's style doesn't suit ours?

I think there is definitely something in this. I reckon a reason we do so bad with Cummins as ref is that - at least my perception is - he allows a slower ruck than many other refs. He will blow a penalty or two early but if a team is determined to slow it down and keeps pressing it the game will get slower and slower. Penrith as a team does very badly against a slow ruck. We need fast play the balls more than other teams to score our points.

forby

Juniors
A good analysis’s.
Dig a bit deeper and see where those penalties are given when he referees us. I would bet that the vast majority are given in the opposition 20 allowing them to set their defence. Also a lot of the opposition penalties seem to be late in count, or when they are having trouble getting out of their own end.
There is also no mention of sin bins which would be interesting as we seem to be on the end of a few when he refs.

OldPanther

Coach
A good analysis’s.
Dig a bit deeper and see where those penalties are given when he referees us. I would bet that the vast majority are given in the opposition 20 allowing them to set their defence. Also a lot of the opposition penalties seem to be late in count, or when they are having trouble getting out of their own end.
There is also no mention of sin bins which would be interesting as we seem to be on the end of a few when he refs.

During Klein officiated games we have had 3(Panthers) sin bins to 2(opposition) from 2016 to now.

TheFrog

Coach
Not really wanting to comment in the game day thread on this. The ref whose favourism can be so easily quantified by referring to penalty counts doesn't last long in first grade (although they do seem to get away with the occasional 10-2 count). Where I think you've hit paydirt is errors and completion rates. Am I right that these are measurably inferior under this ref (and Cummins to a lesser degree) than in all games? What does this tell you? We drop the ball heaps more under Klein and Cummins? Or do we get hammered in the 50/50s?

OldPanther

Coach
Not really wanting to comment in the game day thread on this. The ref whose favourism can be so easily quantified by referring to penalty counts doesn't last long in first grade (although they do seem to get away with the occasional 10-2 count). Where I think you've hit paydirt is errors and completion rates. Am I right that these are measurably inferior under this ref (and Cummins to a lesser degree) than in all games? What does this tell you? We drop the ball heaps more under Klein and Cummins? Or do we get hammered in the 50/50s?

We have terrible completions and errors(obviously these are linked) as standard. It's something the club needs to address. At a guess I would say we are costing ourselves at least 2 or 3 games a year because of it and that's a modest estimate. We are a very good team at getting down field when we control things. We are also bottom 5 for attack inside the 20m if the analysts are to be believed and I do since it cost us the Raiders and Dogs games recently among other things.

If we fix errors and attack we become top 4 based on various stats. The question is why are they bad and how to fix them

OldPanther

Coach
But are they worse under Klein?

No. We have high errors rates all round. We often lose on error rates to our opponents.

Tigers game which we won by a single point we had 7 more errors and a completion rate of 60%(Panthers) Vs 78%(Tigers)

We won run metres though Panthers: 1,616 from 181 runs Vs Tigers: 1,469 from 186 runs. Plus we won the play the ball speed with Panthers 3.47s Vs Tigers 3.57s

We also suck at missed tackles having more than our opposition on the majority of games. We had 30 to the Tigers 18 and it was similar through the Klein games.

There is a clear pattern across our game's that we are a top team for getting down field but are let down by errors and missed tackles along with an inability to attack from good field position.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
No. We have high errors rates all round. We often lose on error rates to our opponents.

Tigers game which we won by a single point we had 7 more errors and a completion rate of 60%(Panthers) Vs 78%(Tigers)

We won run metres though Panthers: 1,616 from 181 runs Vs Tigers: 1,469 from 186 runs. Plus we won the play the ball speed with Panthers 3.47s Vs Tigers 3.57s

We also suck at missed tackles having more than our opposition on the majority of games. We had 30 to the Tigers 18 and it was similar through the Klein games.

There is a clear pattern across our game's that we are a top team for getting down field but are let down by errors and missed tackles along with an inability to attack from good field position.

NRL stats guru David Middleton had better watch out it would appear you are after his job although I will say I don’t need to learn of the stats to know we are useless inside our opponents 20, are ill disciplined and make lot’s of errors.