What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Travitoh

First Grade
Phil Gould unloads on NRL, saying "doctors and lawyers will end the game in 20 years": https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/go...s/news-story/c1a8ed9cd8681661e3d0dec788af4dc1

The problem isn't the doctors and lawyers. The problem isn't the NRL.
The problem is fans, pundits like Gould and players that just refuse to accept that player safety is the most important thing in any professional sport.
Players getting concussions after being hit recklessly or carelessly by 'heroes' is not ok. When did sport become it's own law above society?
Duty of care is a responsibility of everyone that takes the field just like it is the responsibility of everyone in our workplaces.
The only way that doctors and lawyers will end the game in 20 years is if the game and those involved in it refuse to accept the changes that need to be made to ensure the welfare and safety of the players as much as they possibly can.

Bobby Moses

Juniors
The problem isn't the doctors and lawyers. The problem isn't the NRL.
The problem is fans, pundits like Gould and players that just refuse to accept that player safety is the most important thing in any professional sport.
Players getting concussions after being hit recklessly or carelessly by 'heroes' is not ok. When did sport become it's own law above society?
Duty of care is a responsibility of everyone that takes the field just like it is the responsibility of everyone in our workplaces.
The only way that doctors and lawyers will end the game in 20 years is if the game and those involved in it refuse to accept the changes that need to be made to ensure the welfare and safety of the players as much as they possibly can.
Absolutely well said. Gould is a dinosaur puffed up with his own self importance and unchallengeable “knowledge “ of the game.

callmack1

Staff member
Nothing to see ear! Shocking vision exposes Cameron Smith’s dirty tricks: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/734a9022323e89cf7d90d6b26fee5bce

This is getting beyond bullshit!!! How the hell do the Storm get away with things like this while other teams are knit-picked over every little thing?!!

Also, according to Sporting News, the Nines will be returning next year!

Perth to host the 2020 edition of the NRL Nines

Perth will host the next edition of the NRL Nines when it returns from a two year hiatus in 2020.

The news is expected to be announced this week.

Perth won the right to host the pre-season tournament ahead of Newcastle and Melbourne, with the event moving away from Auckland after four years.

The Nines tournament won't be held at Perth's new Optus Stadium, instead it will be staged at the 20,000-seat HBF Stadium.

The ground plays host to the Perth Glory.

The Western Australian government went hard at winning the right to host the two-day tournament after the success of the second State of Origin this year.

The Bulldogs have recently signed off on taking one match per season to Perth, while the Rabbitohs and Warriors played the first NRL game at Optus Stadium last season.

The Cowboys won the inaugural NRL Nines tournament, which was held at Eden Park in Auckland.

The Rabbitohs edged the Sharks in extra-time in the final of the second tournament, before the Eels won in 2016.

Parramatta's title was later stripped after a salary cap scandal.

In 2017 there was a marked decrease in attendance and interest as the Roosters beat the Panthers in the decider.

The concept was scrapped in 2018 after the Rugby League World Cup, which was held at the end of the 2017 season.

Travitoh

First Grade
Playing the 9's in Perth is great and i hope there are plans to bring it to Adelaide too at some stage in the future.
I believe it would help to really grow the game to include a local rep side in the tournament too.

callmack1

Staff member
No official word on any of the injuries from the weekend yet but I see Burnsy made a post on his Instagram kinda saying, "tough year, I'll be back." I think that implies that he's out for the rest of the Season. I'm so gutted for him and that's a blow for us.

Also some talk that Tom has picked up a knee injury.

The injuries just won't go away at the moment!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Brydens Lawyers Injury Report Round 23: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/20/injury-report-round-23/

Very mixed report. Sam might be good to go for this week which is good, will certainly be fine for next week. Burns' injury wasn't as bad as expecting, about four weeks out for him but that could well be the Season the way we're heading. AJ back next week hopefully too. But then some bad news with Tom set to be out two to four weeks. That's a massive blow, We just can't get a break at the moment!!

handyman2190

Bench
Doesn’t take a genius to see what’s going on. Takes someone with a bit of class to continue to support them though. Not death ride them to the end. Which one are you?
Im a platinum member, been a member since i was 5, 55 years ago, i bleed red and green, i love this club, i look at reality i dont fantasise, by stating the truth your saying im death riding them your joking, anyone who watchs the game can see whats happened even yesterday so called geniuses and an immortal of the game have come out and said what i have been saying. If u want to delude yourself go right ahead, you have no idea my disappointment and anger about what has happened to our roster, its been reported we have 4.5mill sidelined with injury, i cant stop obsessing about it.
Sure i can continue here and say no problem we will kick horse arse friday,and noone would rejoice more than me, but im not setting myself up for the massive fall,im going to pray bennett has seen our weaknesses and will recruit players like prop thompson from uk, fafita and mago from broncos and a couple of backs.
And yes ill support them till my death werever they sit on the table,my rabbitohs coffin has been ordered, ill go down with my scarf guernsey cap and blanket, is that enough for you?

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Im a platinum member, been a member since i was 5, 55 years ago, i bleed red and green, i love this club, i look at reality i dont fantasise, by stating the truth your saying im death riding them your joking, anyone who watchs the game can see whats happened even yesterday so called geniuses and an immortal of the game have come out and said what i have been saying. If u want to delude yourself go right ahead, you have no idea my disappointment and anger about what has happened to our roster, its been reported we have 4.5mill sidelined with injury, i cant stop obsessing about it.
Sure i can continue here and say no problem we will kick horse arse friday,and noone would rejoice more than me, but im not setting myself up for the massive fall,im going to pray bennett has seen our weaknesses and will recruit players like prop thompson from uk, fafita and mago from broncos and a couple of backs.
And yes ill support them till my death werever they sit on the table,my rabbitohs coffin has been ordered, ill go down with my scarf guernsey cap and blanket, is that enough for you?
Praying won’t solve the problem, it’ll make you feel better though.
Couldnt care less how long you’ve been a member for throwing your arms in the air and giving up on the season now, while we are firmly in the 8 and have semis to play is not only sad but shows 0 support, which if you bleed red and green, to me shows a massive amount of hypocrisy.
Sure some of those players you mentioned might be good but it ain’t gunna help now is it.
Is that enough for me? Ain’t me who need the support is it?

Travitoh

First Grade

If you've supported the club for that long then surely the current predicament the club finds it's self in is fantastic compared to what the club and it's supporters endured in the 90's and 00's.
Only one club of sixteen wins each season and as much as we would love to be that club every year, it won't happen.
Across the NRL, Souths are currently an easy club to support compared to Gold Coast, St George-Illawarra and New Zealand, amongst others who won't be playing finals this year and potentially for a few years after.

Last edited:
Fwiw I actually think the club is in great shape for the future. Sure, we're probably not going to get the result we were all hoping for this year but we have some fantastic young talent coming through the place. For a while there, I think we kind of lost our way with our juniors and Penrith stole our thunder as the best development club in the league but if you look at the results for all our junior teams this year, I think we've taken that mantle back.

We are definitely getting back to what has been our strong point for 100+ years. A great junior setup, breeding good footballers who grow up bleeding red and green and never have to wear another teams badge.

If you look at the types of kids we are recruiting... The likes of Suaalii, Ilias, Dargan... These are all kids who have played rep footy since they were able to. They're all kids who have any number of league and union clubs lining up to sign them and yet they come to us because they know that we will develop them into genuine first graders.

As far as first grade goes, we've been doing the same thing since 2014... Relying on the Burgess boys to bash our opposition and then playing off the back of that. Letting George go at the end of this year is a clear sign that Wayne wants to take us in a different direction and I think it will take a while for his plan to take shape. As long as we keep making finals in the meantime, I'm happy with that.

handyman2190

Bench
Praying won’t solve the problem, it’ll make you feel better though.
Couldnt care less how long you’ve been a member for throwing your arms in the air and giving up on the season now, while we are firmly in the 8 and have semis to play is not only sad but shows 0 support, which if you bleed red and green, to me shows a massive amount of hypocrisy.
Sure some of those players you mentioned might be good but it ain’t gunna help now is it.
Is that enough for me? Ain’t me who need the support is it?
No its not you,but its you carrying on,good luck and im glad your not my judge and jury, live in fantasy,its your choice. I know i support my team through thick and thin, your attack has no effect on me as i know the truth.

Last edited:

Rabbit toes

First Grade
No its not you,but its you carrying on,good luck and im glad your not my judge and jury, live in fantasy,its your choice. I know i support my team through thick and thin, your attack has no effect on me as i know the truth.
You don’t know your ass from your elbow

Latest posts