What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Eelementary

Post Whore
I’m happy with the fine (cause I don’t have to pay it) but what are they fining him for? Bringing the game into disrepute for Holding a bag of some kind of white powder?

I think that's the crux of the issue; they argued that he brought the game into disrepute, and should have been more aware of what he was doing (and how it could have been perceived).

A fine is punishment enough - it wasn't a big issue (good luck proving what was even in the bag).

Gronk

Staff member
Absolutely!

I have been pretty annoyed if he got suspended.

Let’s not forget the reality of the fine. Doesn’t matter how much Lane is on. $17,500 is a lot of cash. Not sure how it works. Hope it is pre-tax. Like a reduction in his salary and not paid from his nett income. Hope the reduction in salary is incremental over a number of contract months.

BTW it was explained to me by one of my kids that Lane sent the message by snapchat. The app works so that the image dissolves after being viewed. So unlike instagram, there is no image archive on snapchat. That means that a merkin would need to have screenshoted it AND the App tells Lane who did it.

Noise

Coach
Let’s not forget the reality of the fine. Doesn’t matter how much Lane is on. $17,500 is a lot of cash. Not sure how it works. Hope it is pre-tax. Like a reduction in his salary and not paid from his nett income. Hope the reduction in salary is incremental over a number of contract months.

BTW it was explained to me by one of my kids that Lane sent the message by snapchat. The app works so that the image dissolves after being viewed. So unlike instagram, there is no image archive on snapchat. That means that a merkin would need to have screenshoted it AND the App tells Lane who did it.
Yep that’s how it works. They def know who originally screenshot the image and passed it on the first time.

IFR33K

Coach
Absolutely!

David Gower is a class act, on and off the field, and I am so proud that he is an Eel!

He says he is not the most naturally gifted player around - well, David, I appreciate your humility, but some of the passes and offloads you've thrown over the years have been sublime!

A massive congratulations on a well-deserved 100-game career, and I sincerely hope he can remain an Eel after he retires.

Couldn’t of said it better myself. Not the most talented yet imo we are very lucky to have him on our books

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think that's the crux of the issue; they argued that he brought the game into disrepute, and should have been more aware of what he was doing (and how it could have been perceived).

A fine is punishment enough - it wasn't a big issue (good luck proving what was even in the bag).
When it comes to disrepute it doesn't matter what was in the bag. Simulating or making light of drug use brings the game into just as much disrepute as if he was actually using drugs.

Kornstar

Coach
When it comes to disrepute it doesn't matter what was in the bag. Simulating or making light of drug use brings the game into just as much disrepute as if he was actually using drugs.

I agree and i also think the player that leaked should also face a sanction, they equally contributed to disrepute......what a f**king low life!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I find it odd that we fined him when the action occurred before his contract with Parra started. I guess it's his Eels contract that the fine will be paid from.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I find it odd that we fined him when the action occurred before his contract with Parra started. I guess it's his Eels contract that the fine will be paid from.
Maybe if our club fines him the money is paid to the club and then can be left in the back seat of his Toyota?

Soto

Bench
Couldn’t of said it better myself. Not the most talented yet imo we are very lucky to have him on our books
It seems Gower is getting better with age.
When we have all players available he will be on the bench with Niukore, Terepo and Taka.
In the last month or so Niukore has been excellent