What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Sure - I think it's good to get some depth but I don't think we should give up on Naden just yet. He can do some incredible things and admittedly some dumb things. It's his first season of semi-consistent first grade. He can hopefully improve his defence in the off-season. Think it's worth persisting with him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Team for round 1, 2020 based on current roster - to be updated as signings
  1. Edwards
  2. To'o
  3. Whare - but would love a Curtis Scott or Jack Bird.
  4. Burton
  5. Crichton
  6. Luai
  7. Cleary
  8. Tamou
  9. Egan - I'm backing him to step up next year. Been carrying a shoulder injury.
  10. JFH
  11. Kikau
  12. Martin
  13. Yeo - again giving him benefit of the doubt given he's been carrying a shoulder injury.
  14. Kenny
  15. Burns
  16. Leota
  17. Leniu
I think we'll need all 3 of Cleary, Luai & Burton on the field in 2020 so Burton at left centre seems the easiest way to achieve this.

While I have Kikau named at 2nd row, I'd be defending him in the middle with Yeo defending on the edge.

I'd go Crichton centre/Naden wing over Whare. I think we make atleast decent signing that said.

Kilkenny

Coach
[QUOTE="Abacus, post: 13761102, member: 41039"

So if Cleary is stagnating young players coming to the NRL, why sign more young guys for Dave's mate to stagnate? This is "definition of insanity" stuff. [/QUOTE]

Maybe a little over the top there Abacus.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sure - I think it's good to get some depth but I don't think we should give up on Naden just yet. He can do some incredible things and admittedly some dumb things. It's his first season of semi-consistent first grade. He can hopefully improve his defence in the off-season. Think it's worth persisting with him.

All the rookies need time. 1-2 seasons to know for sure

Abacus

Juniors
Not so much giving up on Naden - just not putting all my eggs in that basket.

Really he misses out because I'd prefer Burton in the side. At left centre we can call on his kicking game and I think I've seen highlights where he has decent pace. If Cleary or Luai are off, we don't need to go to the bench for another option.

Naden is still part of the squad and at this stage interchangeable for Crichton and covering outside backs. But if we can upgrade right centre, we shouldn't be too protective of Naden.

Abacus

Juniors
[QUOTE="Abacus, post: 13761102, member: 41039"

So if Cleary is stagnating young players coming to the NRL, why sign more young guys for Dave's mate to stagnate? This is "definition of insanity" stuff.

Maybe a little over the top there Abacus.[/QUOTE]
OTT on a forum? Is there such a thing?

But bringing in more young guys is not what this squad needs. Let alone expecting a different result from it.

ashton

Juniors
The raiders signed 5 players from England........why don't we look there for a couple of quality players. Need to go in a different direction.

BxTom

Bench
So if we are getting rid of players that are overpaid and under performing or on long contracts, why are we not getting rid of Nathan Cleary? He is on a long contract, big money and under performing. Or doesn't the rule applying to Waqa Blake, DWZ and RCG not apply equally?

age.s

First Grade
So if we are getting rid of players that are overpaid and under performing or on long contracts, why are we not getting rid of Nathan Cleary? He is on a long contract, big money and under performing. Or doesn't the rule applying to Waqa Blake, DWZ and RCG not apply equally?

Cause there's no point in fantasizing. I'd love to sign Cook, Teddy, JT and both the Turbos but it isn't going to happen.

OldPanther

Coach

Pretty sure that's treason.

Seriously though I'd rather break the cycle eventually. No more long contracts hopefully.

TheFrog

Coach
He had a blinder last week.

Pomoz

Bench
Any new coach takes 2-3 seasons to get the roster right. A rebuild was always needed given how poorly it was built
Stop it. You're making excuse for Dave's mate. I just can't accept that the roster was that poor. It has delivered semi-final football 3 years on a row. Dave's mate comes on board, changes the fitness regime to Pie Face after training and a gentle stroll around the pitch, decides he doesn't like DWZ, Blake and RCG and makes Nathan the centre of attack. Voila, sh*t on a stick for most of 2019 including embarrassing floggings and losing to the wooden spooners. 15th or 16th for most key stats.

The is a monumental cluster*ck and we don't need CSI to test for DNA. It has Dave's mate and the "committee's" fingerprints all over it. They have no alibi and there are several thousand witness to the turgid horror that is the Panthers attacking in 2019. Last year, we may have been heart attack material, getting behind on the scoreboard until late in the game, but once we got fired up we were fun to watch.

Gus may have overpaid some of our players, but what we know about Gus is if he was still here, he would be moving players and wheeling and dealing to get the cap back in line. It's very convenient to blame somebody who is no longer here. Especially since the same people who are "the committee" are the same people who oversaw Gus and approved the contracts he wrote.

OldPanther

Coach
He did, but the trouble is it's once every 15 games if we are lucky.

Drop Maloney and we'll see that Cleary again. Won't happen and we'll continue to look like crap even though we can't win it and Maloney is gone next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Stop it. You're making excuse for Dave's mate. I just can't accept that the roster was that poor. It has delivered semi-final football 3 years on a row. Dave's mate comes on board, changes the fitness regime to Pie Face after training and a gentle stroll around the pitch, decides he doesn't like DWZ, Blake and RCG and makes Nathan the centre of attack. Voila, sh*t on a stick for most of 2019 including embarrassing floggings and losing to the wooden spooners. 15th or 16th for most key stats.

The is a monumental cluster*ck and we don't need CSI to test for DNA. It has Dave's mate and the "committee's" fingerprints all over it. They have no alibi and there are several thousand witness to the turgid horror that is the Panthers attacking in 2019. Last year, we may have been heart attack material, getting behind on the scoreboard until late in the game, but once we got fired up we were fun to watch.

Gus may have overpaid some of our players, but what we know about Gus is if he was still here, he would be moving players and wheeling and dealing to get the cap back in line. It's very convenient to blame somebody who is no longer here. Especially since the same people who are "the committee" are the same people who oversaw Gus and approved the contracts he wrote.

There is no person that rates Ivan less then I do but when has a coach came in and the team has instantly gone better?

Who do we blame if not the players? The last 3 years we have conceded the most penalties and most missed tackles and in the bottom 3 for completion rates. Hook was seen as the one. Gus takes over the same continues. Now Ivan and the same.

We were on the cap. Had no decent hooker. Holes in fullback and no backup centre. So there was always going to be some movement. The form of those locked in long term have sped up the process.

So Brandy is qualified enough to pick a NSW team but not have a say in who should play for the club he loves?

The board picked Ivan. Why shouldn't they have a say in ensuring he gets the players he needs?

Drop Maloney and we'll see that Cleary again. Won't happen and we'll continue to look like crap even though we can't win it and Maloney is gone next year.

It’s not a guarantee that’ll happen.

Honestly think we’re putting too much stock in this idea it’s all Maloney holding Nathan back. Nathan’s biggest asset is his running game, there’s no reason he can’t employ that with or without Maloney.

Abacus

Juniors

Come on OP, you know it was more than Maloney being out last week. The team fired up for 3 debutants so Cleary had a mile of time. This week was the flipside - back to the low energy plodding we've been producing for most of the season with a stack of early handling errors. So neither half had any room or momentum to play off the back of.

The question to be asked is who's job is it to have the team motivated and ready to play? No one at the club wants to ask it because the truth is too close to home for the decision makers.

BxTom

Bench
There is no person that rates Ivan less then I do but when has a coach came in and the team has instantly gone better?

Who do we blame if not the players? The last 3 years we have conceded the most penalties and most missed tackles and in the bottom 3 for completion rates. Hook was seen as the one. Gus takes over the same continues. Now Ivan and the same.

We were on the cap. Had no decent hooker. Holes in fullback and no backup centre. So there was always going to be some movement. The form of those locked in long term have sped up the process.

So Brandy is qualified enough to pick a NSW team but not have a say in who should play for the club he loves?

The board picked Ivan. Why shouldn't they have a say in ensuring he gets the players he needs?
Panthers finished 11th in 2015 under Cleary. Griffin took over the team in the next year and they finished 6th in 2016, 7th in 2017 and 5th in 2018. We had as many injuries under Griffin as under Cleary. That's pretty instant improvement.

Latest posts