What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will you be on the Day Cameron Smith plays his 400th NRL Game?

TheRam

Coach
The NRL have given a ring as a gift to Barbara Smith for recognition for her efforts as the woman behind the man.

I believe that the NRL is taking a step towards greater recognition for the Women in our game and this is a part of a wider pattern to reconise the people who make our game great.

Things such as expanding the Immortals, setting rules around induction to the Hall of Fame including non players such as Ray Warren.

Most other Roosters fans seem to think its another Storm gift, exemption from the salary cap, Cam Smith getting what he wants from the NRL, an offence because a Roosters player's wife wasn't recognised, a kick in the teeth for bush footy, an offense to every other woman who hasn't been recognised etc etc

My main criticism is that it was a rather expensive present. Other than that , I thought it was nice during Women in League round that a woman was recognised

Tboughts?

Mate it wasn't presented to her in women in league round, it was given to her weeks ago on the quiet for his 400 games celebration without the NRL signing off on it. They are now spinning it that way because the ring is out of the box so to speak. So it was simply a gift by Greenberg to Smiths wife on his own bat, using NRL funds to do it.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Mate it was done on the down low, it wasn't celebrating anything. It was Greenberg doing his own thing without telling anyone else on the commission. If it wasn't for at leak to the press, no one would of known. So how can anyone say it is to celebrate anything other then simply another gift/rort to the Smith family?

It is an utter disgrace and no amount of mates in the media defending Smith will change that.
That’s a fair argument.

I guess for me it’s just a bit of a storm in a teacup. I know $15k is a lot of money, but in the context of an organisation that has an annual turnover in the hundreds of millions it’s not huge.

I know that money could be better spent elsewhere, but I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. The NRL has had the resources to help out grassroots for a long time. If they’re not doing that adequately I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the Barb fund.

TheRam

Coach
That’s a fair argument.

I guess for me it’s just a bit of a storm in a teacup. I know $15k is a lot of money, but in the context of an organisation that has an annual turnover in the hundreds of millions it’s not huge.

I know that money could be better spent elsewhere, but I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. The NRL has had the resources to help out grassroots for a long time. If they’re not doing that adequately I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the Barb fund.

Sorry mate I misspoke slightly. It was given by Greenberg for Cams 400 games celebrations, but without the knowledge of the NRL initially. But the point is that yes, $15k in the big scheme of things for a billion dollar business seems very small, except that Greenberg and anyone else on the commission are always stating that the financial resources of the NRL are very thinly stretched and that there isn't enough money for proper and adequate funding of the game at grass roots level and that the AFL are dumping 10 and 20 to 1 dollars into junior development in regions all over our 2 RL playing States.

So sorry, $15K is huge in the context of things that could of helped save a small region for example from extinction otherwise. But Greenberg couldn't give a toss about the actual game. He is more concerned about pomp and ceremony on black tie nights and another feel good story for the guy and his wife that already have everything from the game.

Smiths own club only gave her a bunch of flowers ffs.

Lambretta

First Grade
Mate it wasn't presented to her in women in league round, it was given to her weeks ago on the quiet for his 400 games celebration without the NRL signing off on it. They are now spinning it that way because the ring is out of the box so to speak. So it was simply a gift by Greenberg to Smiths wife on his own bat, using NRL funds to do it.

If that's the case it makes it seriously suss

Lambretta

First Grade
But it was given to her weeks ago at Cam's 400th game dinner, nothing to do with WiL round. If it were meant to be a recognition you gotta wonder why it didn't get a mention anywhere until a small, negative article in the DT.

You'd do more good giving 1500 volunteering RL women a $100 gift card than a diamond ring to the wife of a millionaire.

If that's the case then I agree its totally suss.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
68904222_2248897708699702_2864088165264654336_n.jpg

One of the reason why Parra got in trouble with the salary cap because it didn’t declare that they flew Rardrada family from Fiji to watch their son play, ithe Irony
They did the same when Parra brought out Fui Fui Moi Moi's family from Tonga. And when Hindy released his auto biography that had to be included in the cap as well because he was still playing

Generalzod

Immortal
What do you mean imagine?
Ennis, Gallen and Fafita did it throughout their career too... Only they didn't have 37 threads dedicated to it lol
Exactly my point there a 3700 dedicated to Gallen and Fafita, but when it comes to Cam Smith oh well nothing to see here.

Latest posts