What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's Next?

Who do you want to see replace Brown?

• Geoff Toovey

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Adam O'Brien

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Anthony Griffin

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Craig Fitzgibbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Walters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trent Barrett

• Shaun Wane

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Kristian Woolf

• Garth Brennan

• Jason Ryles

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

PhilGould

Bench

Woosh

Head Moderator
Levi the jokes to the comedians.

Go Ese’ese on me mate.
I didn’t say I was the King of comedy.
But according to the Australian Buhrer of Statistics if you eat Ramien then you’re more likely to be a Lee than a Jones.
Anyways Watson tv tonight? Dancing with the Star?
I guess I better Tex Browny and wish him all the Best.
Hopefully all is Fitzgibbon.

Knight76

Juniors
Go Ese’ese on me mate.
But according to the Australian Buhrer of Statistics if you eat Ramien then you’re more likely to be a Lee than a Jones.

Geez that post was a bit of a ponga.

Go Ese’ese on me mate.
Are they all supposed to be good puns? Because I can Sione one

Spot On

Coach
Go Ese’ese on me mate.

Absolute gold!!!

Nearly worth going Gaga over.

Knight Vision

First Grade
You gone off Kevvie Walters?????
He's come out and said wouldnt take it anyway. But yeh I have gone off old Kevvie. SOO antics turned me off him as a prospect.

The real problem is there doesnt appear to much proven quality out there. Guess they may go for an unproven head coach? I hope who ever it is doesnt root our cap to buggery

Silent Knight

First Grade
Do the NRL actually have a list of conditions that would allow Shane Flanagan to return as a first grade coach? Because all I’ve read is that there is an “indefinite ban” on his return and nothing more than that.

And now they’re blocking his potential return on the basis of an “indefinite ban” that has no conditions attached and no specific deadline. All because he upset Toddles.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Don’t want anything to do with Flanagan, not that the NRL would register him anyway.

Shaun Wane is interesting and has had a ton of success. However he was often criticised for a very boring style of rugby league. Not that we should be worried about that with our win percentage.

Adam O’Brien and Craig Fitzgibbon are still my favourite options. Both highly regarded assistants in good systems.

Please no to a recycled coach like Griffin or Barrett

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think we take the punt on a new guy like O’Brien or Fitzgibbon. They’re both in a great system and have done a lengthy apprenticeship and have big wraps on them. Besides it’s not like rookie coaches haven’t won premierships before. Robinson did it at the Roosters and most recently Green did it at the Cowboys. I understand that people want results but most of the guys who have already coached at NRL level seem to have more downside than upside.

If we were to go with one of those guys who has NRL experience already then I would lean towards Griffin. He’s got a decent winning record and even though he was sacked at the Panthers he had them playing finals footy. He comes across as a very dry character but he seems pretty straight down the line and would hopefully instil a bit more toughness in the team. I’m not sure how well liked he is among players though so weather he would galvanise the team or not is a big question mark.

That being said I’d be happy with either O’Brien or Fitzgibbon.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Anything short of O'Brien and this is a poor move.
Maybe Wane at a pinch.

Doing this without the replacement lined up is what bad clubs do.

Outside of those two we may as well have stayed with Brown.

Alex28

Coach
Browny has a pretty unique view of his job. He is essentially a fixer - come in, rebuild, move on.

Shame he wasn’t the right guy to take us forward.

Silent Knight

First Grade
That presser was good viewing. Can't fault the guy at all.

One line stood out at me from this article:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/89fa83798607a2b55395033ff55ea960

This one:

He also confirmed any new coach would need to pass ‘the character test’.

I'm thinking that Phil Gardner is alluding to Shane Flanagan there. So if that's the club's position I'll respect it and would suggest this means that Adam O'Brien is in the box seat, if sanity prevails.

And I can't stand these so-called "experts" who reckon we should go with an established (read: failed) NRL coach. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

What NRL coaching experience did Trent Robinson have before he joined the Roosters?
What NRL coaching experience did Michael Maguire have before he joined the Rabbitohs?

In fact the last 8 premierships were won by coaches who started their careers at that club (by career I mean as head coach, not assistant). Robinson, Maguire, Bellamy, Flanagan, Hasler and Green.

The last established coach that went to another club and won a premiership? Wayne Bennett at the Dragons in 2010. In fact since the inception of the NRL there have been 4 head coaches who went to another club and won a premiership:

Chris Anderson, Storm 1999.
John Lang, Penrith 2003.
Tim Sheens, Wests Tigers 2005.
Wayne Bennett, Dragons 2010.

That is 4 premierships for coaches who came from another club over 21 seasons. A staggering 17 premierships for coaches who started their careers at their first club. My position is if we can't jag a coach like Flanagan who has actually won a premiership this decade, then we have nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain if we go with a new prospect. We gain nothing if we go for a Griffin, Brennan or Barrett, because all you'll get from them is more of the same.

slotmachine

First Grade
O'Brien knocked back the Sharks job earlier this year, so he might want to stick around with the Chooks.

Not many options if that is the case.