What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's Next?

Who do you want to see replace Brown?

• Geoff Toovey

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Adam O'Brien

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Anthony Griffin

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Craig Fitzgibbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Walters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trent Barrett

• Shaun Wane

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Kristian Woolf

• Garth Brennan

• Jason Ryles

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Haffa

O'Brien knocked back the Sharks job earlier this year, so he might want to stick around with the Chooks.

Not many options if that is the case.
In his defence he'd only just taken the role with Easts and it was a cronulla squad in turmoil.

Knight76

Juniors
Griffin had a chance to take us when Brown got the role and said no. Most likely because of the state of our roster.

He has a good winning percentage and has shown he can coach. Punted at penrith due to a personality conflict and penrith wanted Cleary. Did well with Broncs while there.

If we cant get a very good rookie in O'Brien, we should go with Griffin or maybe that English bloke. Mal Reilly can put in a good word for us.

Ryles, not enough experience yet for mine. All the rest, Walter's, barrett etc, no way!

Knight Vision

First Grade
One line stood out at me from this article:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/89fa83798607a2b55395033ff55ea960

This one:

He also confirmed any new coach would need to pass ‘the character test’.

I'm thinking that Phil Gardner is alluding to Shane Flanagan there. So if that's the club's position I'll respect it and would suggest this means that Adam O'Brien is in the box seat, if sanity prevails.

And I can't stand these so-called "experts" who reckon we should go with an established (read: failed) NRL coach. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

What NRL coaching experience did Trent Robinson have before he joined the Roosters?
What NRL coaching experience did Michael Maguire have before he joined the Rabbitohs?

In fact the last 8 premierships were won by coaches who started their careers at that club (by career I mean as head coach, not assistant). Robinson, Maguire, Bellamy, Flanagan, Hasler and Green.

The last established coach that went to another club and won a premiership? Wayne Bennett at the Dragons in 2010. In fact since the inception of the NRL there have been 4 head coaches who went to another club and won a premiership:

Chris Anderson, Storm 1999.
John Lang, Penrith 2003.
Tim Sheens, Wests Tigers 2005.
Wayne Bennett, Dragons 2010.

That is 4 premierships for coaches who came from another club over 21 seasons. A staggering 17 premierships for coaches who started their careers at their first club. My position is if we can't jag a coach like Flanagan who has actually won a premiership this decade, then we have nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain if we go with a new prospect. We gain nothing if we go for a Griffin, Brennan or Barrett, because all you'll get from them is more of the same.

Compelling stats those.

Yosh

Coach
This O'Brian lad sounds like he is 60% Bellemy, 20% Robinson and 20% his own man. Could be a lethal mix. Exciting if he does come.

Not that it's credible but The Mole is saying Woolf is going to St Helens as coach.
I wonder if Brown might be on the Titian's radar.

Silent Knight

First Grade

Knight Vision

First Grade
Sounds a bunch better than many of the other options hahahaha! What's the sentiment like on the other forums?
have to agree, there doesnt seem to be a lot of quality around and I suppose its a move into the vast unknown with the appointment of just about any coach.

I was not particularly over joyed when Brown was appointed but I was proven wrong so lets hope and pray to our sky daddy that the next guy is equally as good for what we need right now.

Burwood

Bench
LOL at Uncle Nick calling foul when he did the same thing to us leading into the 2009 finals series with Brian Smith. We were in the top 4 with a few rounds to go, Roosters signed Smith and then we dropped out of the 4 due to the circus and got bundled out week 1 of the finals.

Uncle Nick puts a get-out clause in his contract, and then is “livid” when O’Brien has the right to utilise it. If timing was such an issue, why not just have the clause only able to be activated in his 2nd or 3rd year?

Silent Knight

First Grade
Uncle Nick puts a get-out clause in his contract, and then is “livid” when O’Brien has the right to utilise it. If timing was such an issue, why not just have the clause only able to be activated in his 2nd or 3rd year?

Actually I should have done my due diligence on that article. It’s written by James Hooper, and there are no direct quotes from Uncle Nick in there. So it’s entirely plausible Hooper is once again talking out of his arse. I took the bait.

Alex28

Coach
Browny has been tremendous today. Hasn’t thrown the club under the bus. Been honest and upfront.

Personally, i’d offer him the head of recruitment job. Learnt plenty off Darren Mooney, can recruit some decent players, seems to have cap management ability.

macavity

Referee
Browny has been tremendous today. Hasn’t thrown the club under the bus. Been honest and upfront.

Personally, i’d offer him the head of recruitment job. Learnt plenty off Darren Mooney, can recruit some decent players, seems to have cap management ability.

Recruited Kurn Mann...

Woosh

Head Moderator

I must admit I grew some respect for Browny today.
He admitted he’s not the type of coach to win premierships but if you’re looking for a guy to collect wooden spoons and build a fair roster then he’s the man.

Latest posts