What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji's 300th Game

Wizardman

First Grade
Benji's running game is not what it was but I cannot remember him being a better ball player or game manager than he is at the moment. I have no doubt his stint at the Broncos under Wayne Bennett did him a lot of good. Great to see this from our champion!

Front-Rower

First Grade
Benji's running game is not what it was but I cannot remember him being a better ball player or game manager than he is at the moment. I have no doubt his stint at the Broncos under Wayne Bennett did him a lot of good. Great to see this from our champion!

Disagree. The guy played well last night at 9 because he was forced to pass or run straight. He isn’t the game manager he’s made out to be.

To give him credit, his service out of dummy half was first class and Brooks, with space, broke that game open.

In saying that, the opposition was beyond poor.

macnaz

Staff member
Oh ok.. I guess it doesn't matter what he does good , people will always find the 1% negative to knock him.
I agree he probably hasnt always nailed a game when it's on the line , but fmd we wouldnt have even been in the majority of them games without him.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Oh ok.. I guess it doesn't matter what he does good , people will always find the 1% negative to knock him.
I agree he probably hasnt always nailed a game when it's on the line , but fmd we wouldnt have even been in the majority of them games without him.

He’s not a game manager, never has been, never will be. Last night he played well because he had to play to his strengths, passing and running straight.

He’s not immune to criticism because he was part of the premiership side 14 years ago.

macnaz

Staff member
He’s not a game manager, never has been, never will be. Last night he played well because he had to play to his strengths, passing and running straight.

He’s not immune to criticism because he was part of the premiership side 14 years ago.
Ok you win , if you honestly think I need to reminisce all the way back to 2005 glory days to defend and discuss Benji's positives in 2019 you are just wasting my time trying to debate things .

Wizardman

First Grade

Your assessment about Benji is as harsh as it is inaccurate.

I admit that the Benji who left our club was not a game managers asshole. Gifted runner with great skill but definitely did not manage games well. It is a totally different Marshall that has come back. I think he manages things pretty darn well these days. It is a shame that he never focused on that side of his game while his running game was on point.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Ok you win , if you honestly think I need to reminisce all the way back to 2005 glory days to defend and discuss Benji's positives in 2019 you are just wasting my time trying to debate things .

It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about being accurate. And sadly, you and the others who claim he is a game manager are incorrect.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Your assessment about Benji is as harsh as it is inaccurate.

I admit that the Benji who left our club was not a game managers asshole. Gifted runner with great skill but definitely did not manage games well. It is a totally different Marshall that has come back. I think he manages things pretty darn well these days. It is a shame that he never focused on that side of his game while his running game was on point.

LOL

macnaz

Staff member
Yep he’s on fk all money he’s the best performed & most significant part of our spine & he’s a priceless mentor for the kids from our Harold Matt’s teams to our NRL squad.
Tiger Ted your post pretty well said all that needs to be said about Benji 2019 .. thanks mate , what a simple short yet perfect summation on what he means to the club and team :thumbsup:

macnaz

Staff member
Best player doesn’t mean game manager
FR I dont think anyone here thinks he is a brilliant game manager, but who is ? Or who would you replace him with that is ?
Currently he is getting us at least in a position to win a game , even if he cant go that extra bit to win it . SO unless we can find a game winner and a game manager all in the same body I really dont know what else we can do.

Front-Rower

First Grade
FR I dont think anyone here thinks he is a brilliant game manager, but who is ? Or who would you replace him with that is ?
Currently he is getting us at least in a position to win a game , even if he cant go that extra bit to win it . SO unless we can find a game winner and a game manager all in the same body I really dont know what else we can do.

The coach has a job to do. He has been here twelve months, time to start making wiser choices. The way Marshall played last night at 9 was better than anything Farah has dished up in the last 5 years.

2020 with Liddle out we need to look at;

1. Thompson
6. Reynolds (why the club want to ship him off is beyond me)
7. Brooks
9. Marshall

Between the 6, 7 and 9 they need to share game management role. Giving sole ownership to just one of these guys will not work.

What we do from 2021, I haven’t looked at a list of off contract talent, but the coach needs to make a big marquee signing

macnaz

Staff member
I respect you opinions but I personally think his skills are better served at 6 then just shuffling the ball out from the dummy half and also his shoulders probably wouldnt stand up to the 50 tackles a game expected from a 9

The unknown

Juniors
10 odd games in 2 years on big money might have something to do with it lol

Don't get me wrong I love Reynolds but he breaks down more than a thrashed out1996 honda civic

WA Tiger

Bench
The coach has a job to do. He has been here twelve months, time to start making wiser choices. The way Marshall played last night at 9 was better than anything Farah has dished up in the last 5 years.

2020 with Liddle out we need to look at;

1. Thompson
6. Reynolds (why the club want to ship him off is beyond me)
7. Brooks
9. Marshall

Between the 6, 7 and 9 they need to share game management role. Giving sole ownership to just one of these guys will not work.

What we do from 2021, I haven’t looked at a list of off contract talent, but the coach needs to make a big marquee signing
I don’t mind that team u picked..Better than Farrah ok ...It could happen...Madge said Benji had given him some real options...One things for sure he won’t pull Benji from 6 now the way he’s playing ...I don’t know if u saw it but his play at 6 last night was poetry.. ...I liked Braith Anastas comments about Benji he said Benji is just fooling the opposition and just keeps pulling their pants down time and time again. ...He was that dominant ..... ...Benji prob couldn’t handle the physical toll iether at hooker ...so half each might work for a while...Madge wouldn’t order Brnji to hooker full time if he didn’t want to go there ...as we know what Benji wants Benji gets

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I don’t mind that team u picked..Better than Farrah ok ...It could happen...Madge said Benji had given him some real options...One things for sure he won’t pull Benji from 6 now the way he’s playing ...I don’t know if u saw it but his play last night was poetry.. ...I liked Braith Anastas comments about Benji he said Benji is just fooling the opposition and just keeps pulling their pants down. ...He was that dominant .....Anyway Madge loves what Benji brings ...Benji prob couldn’t handle the physical toll iether so half each might work for a while...
I think if your going to try to shut Marshall up ...things will turn for the worse ...Benjis not a Tyrant like Smith at the storm...If Reynolds and Brookes wants to chip in I bet they know they can...When I see that warrior look on his face and he’s blabbing I know we are likely to win..

WA Tiger

Bench
I just watched the game again and yes Brooke’s kicked butt ...but Benji was on a level of his own as well. ...If Benji could hack it at hooker it wouldn’t hurt him to be there...The more he touches the ball the better..His passing. at hooker was immaculate...He’s got so many variety’s of passing technique...Fast slow stalled lobbed..I think he set up all the tries except the Brooke’s Garner one and the other one Brooke’s created but even then Benji had to chime in outside Brooke’s from nowhere at the right speed and timing to catch and pass to Nofo .TRY...Brooke’s was brilliant but Benji was always right there when the tries were scored...He has a magic MF wand out there I swear.

Last edited:

Latest posts