What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown to Depart at Season’s End

Red V for life

Juniors
To be honest, the team will need to be rebuilt once the current coach goes (hopefully as soon as possible).

Short of landing a Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson (which we are no chance of at all), I cannot see quality players following a proven coach to play for us, be it Toovey, Flanagan, Griffin or whoever.

I also don’t see the likes of Fitzgibbon wanting to take over a basket case of a roster to start their careers as he is ‘waiting for the ideal job’ (which probably is the Dragons in around 3 years time). Although, if Holbrook does well at the Titans, that may change...but that’s 12 months away :cry:

So, between now and then we’re likely going to be relying on our young players.

Brownie should be considered as all and sundry (including himself) accept this is what he does well.

No matter what happens though, there’ll be 2-3 years of pain. The question is will it be good pain (growth) or bad pain (nothing changes).

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
To be honest, the team will need to be rebuilt once the current coach goes (hopefully as soon as possible).

Short of landing a Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson (which we are no chance of at all), I cannot see quality players following a proven coach to play for us, be it Toovey, Flanagan, Griffin or whoever.

I also don’t see the likes of Fitzgibbon wanting to take over a basket case of a roster to start their careers as he is ‘waiting for the ideal job’ (which probably is the Dragons in around 3 years time). Although, if Holbrook does well at the Titans, that may change...but that’s 12 months away :cry:

Brownie should be considered as all and sundry (including himself) accept this is what he does well.

No matter what happens though, there’ll be 2-3 years of pain. The question is will it be good pain (growth) or bad pain (nothing changes).
This is a good point about good pain vs bad pain. It’s ok if we are in a rebuilding stage with a new coach and it feels fresh and as though we are building something but at the moment we are in purgatory and it feels as though we are just waiting for some big contracts coach included to end before we can even start that good pain.

TruSaint

Referee
Poorly handled by Newcastle.

And if the reports are to be believed, some of the senior / $$$ players think they are Gods gift.

I wish Nathan all the best. It was a big task he embarked on.

possm

Coach

We have some talented players and we have some deadwood. All we need to do is replace the deadwood with some more talented players; a mix of promising juniors and recruits from outside the Club.

I don't really see our roster as such a big problem as I believe that attitudes among our senior players wll change immediately on a new coach arriving.

Just get rid of this clown of a coach and we have made a giant step towards improving the quality of our roster.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Any coach would surpass the prick we have. Would prefer a non novice coach but would take Fitzgibbon. He has been in a good system. Take Griffin for a couple of years.
Furthermore don’t we have a finals squad ? It needs centres and wingers but they may be already in the club just not being coached properly or selected.
Would like Brownie as recruitment manager.

possm

Coach
Any coach would surpass the prick we have. Would prefer a non novice coach but would take Fitzgibbon. He has been in a good system. Take Griffin for a couple of years.
Furthermore don’t we have a finals squad ? It needs centres and wingers but they may be already in the club just not being coached properly or selected.
Would like Brownie as recruitment manager.
Brown as coach with the recruitment staff reporting to him. Let Brown pick his own coaching staff; there are plenty of suitable former first grade coaches who would make great assistants.

Brown is available right now and so he would be able to take the squad through off-season training. He would be great for the young juniors and he would provide game plans the NRL team could have confidence in. Forwards Vaughan, McInnes, the Sims Brothers and Frizell would benefit greatly from Brown's coaching.

Backs Dufty, Field, Aitken, Lafai may go looking for another Club and others like Pearson, Pereira and Ravalawa will have to lift there game or be shown the door.

I think Brown would make a good coach at SGI however, I also believe Griffin, Toovey and JD would also make a great improvement on what Mary is and what Mary has done.

Last edited:

Dragon for life

Juniors
We have some talented players and we have some deadwood. All we need to do is replace the deadwood with some more talented players; a mix of promising juniors and recruits from outside the Club.

I don't really see our roster as such a big problem as I believe that attitudes among our senior players wll change immediately on a new coach arriving.

Just get rid of this clown of a coach and we have made a giant step towards improving the quality of our roster.
Agree, there’s not too much that need to change with our team. The forwards are spot on. A few decent outside backs and a coach and this is a very competitive team. Not sure why they are performing the way they are but it usually leads back to one thing and we all know what that is. Pitty the board can’t see this.

As I commented when we first bought him Hunt is not worth the money we have spent on him but this is something that we will have to deal with for the next 3 years. A new coach may just be able to make him the superstar that we are paying him for.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Where did all this toxicity come from a split camp that's crazy. Brownie obviously wanted these guys and then the knives are in the back.
Kalyn Ponga is a deserter for sure IMO and others named.
Actually I would have stayed and dropped the pricks to Reggie's and bought up another bunch of youngsters.

epDragon62

First Grade
Agree, there’s not too much that need to change with our team. The forwards are spot on. A few decent outside backs and a coach and this is a very competitive team. Not sure why they are performing the way they are but it usually leads back to one thing and we all know what that is. Pitty the board can’t see this.

As I commented when we first bought him Hunt is not worth the money we have spent on him but this is something that we will have to deal with for the next 3 years. A new coach may just be able to make him the superstar that we are paying him for.
I don't agree with your assessment of our forwards. We need some mongrel in the pack.

Strangely enough, Timm probably fits the brief...

Dragon for life

Juniors
I don't agree with your assessment of our forwards. We need some mongrel in the pack.

I disagree. This is almost the same pack that dominated half of the season in 2018 and then fell away at the back end due to player management.

BLM01

First Grade

Where I disagree our plays 1-3 from our backs (as the norm for all NRL teams) do not get sets from our end off to a front foot start which quick play the balls and speed through the ruck running deep on the ball. Dummy half runs and one out from our backs does not cut it anymore. If we are going to use our backs for the 1st 3 plays..then throw soime football and moves at em.
Over to you Mary!

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
Well Browny reckons he's good at fixing clubs that are well and truly stuffed, so I'd take him, just not as coach. I think his future lies as an assistant coach/pathways director or whatever its called.

A team of Brown/Fitzgibbon works for me. But like everyone else, anyone would be an improvement on what we've got.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
The Dragons have no threat at dummy half. As much as I love how McInnes brings to the team in Defence, if we are being honest, he holds no fear for opposition players as a threat so it makes the job of the playmakers 5 times harder than it is for any other good team

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The way Browny has handled this is class. He saw his players lack interest at training and left. We see Saints players lack interest during games let alone training (would hate to think how they train watching the way they play). Anyway Browny took the hint and left. Now Mary needs to follow suit.

Browny would be ideal. No re-build required just getting players to play to their best which is way below what they are doing now. Browny would have flicked Lafai ages ago if he was coach. He can spot lazy players and usually drops them ala Ramien.

The calm one

Juniors
I understand no Mary..but why and a big NO to Brown?
Have not the past week and his own admissions meant anything.!
No No f#c* No. No more old players, rookies, relatives, wife's cousins 2nd half brother blah blah at this club. It's been going on far to long. I have said here before. New Broom Sweeps Clean. The only person who is drawing a wage from this football club and has not been put on notice, should be the ball boy