What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan to Dragons - Suggested in yesterdays Daily Telegragh

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Top idea.

We should also sign Slater to work with our young fullbacks, Smith to work with McInnes, and GI to teach our centres.
You are not going to get them all, but I think Sullivan being a young indigenous kid and on the smaller side might be the sort of kid Thurston may have a soft spot for and could mentor him even part time maybe once a month do a session with him.

Dragsters

First Grade
Several things to think about with this:

1: Flanagan would have to get clearance from the NRL to coach again (that ain't Earth shattering news).
2. Flanagan, if given permission, may have some restrictions put on his coaching.
3. Flanagan, I given permission, what salary would he be asking, or better still, what would the Dragons consider to be a decent offer given his background?

Looking at this in retrospect:
The Dragons may be waiting for some clarity from the NRL before making any move on Flanagan. That may be in the form of either assistant to McGregor, hence the clearing of the support staff McGregor currently has (Hornby etc), a return to coaching but only at CC level, hence the rumours surrounding Head, or ultimately as head coach, however, the restriction hear maybe in the form of an overseer such as Furner to keep him in check, hence also the move on of the current coaching staff.

The fact nothing has been said regarding the teams performance this year from senior management, could spell that they are in a waiting game regarding Flanagan and McGregor. Basically, how I read this is, if Flanagan is given the green light (or even an amber one) to return to coaching, we will move on that quickly. If Flanagan doesn't then McGregor is still signed as coach. So, really hedging bets here.

Another thing to consider is, if Flanagan has been seen in talks with Greenburg, then to me this indicates he has a job to return to, otherwise why else would he bother. There aren't many NRL coaching positions up for discussion only really Us, Cowboys and Warriors. The Knights position has been filled, Arthur looks more secure, Titans have a new coach, etc, and further, does he need NRL permission to coach overseas?

This may turn out to be another wild goose chase, but there are enough reasons to be optimistic imo.

FWIW, Greenberg was reportedly "very impressed" with Flanagan after their meeting, according to ch7, whatever that means...

Top idea.

We should also sign Slater to work with our young fullbacks, Smith to work with McInnes, and GI to teach our centres.

We could also get SBW to work with our backrow, Cameron Smith to work with our hooker and Hasem El Masri to work with our goal kicker.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He doesn't let the ones he wants go.
Sometimes he gets it wrong..

images

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Of course he does. He makes judicious decisions based on their value.
What is your point mate? Seriously did you get bullied at school or something I just mentioned Sullivan is a similar player to JT in terms of being on the smaller side and has been compared to a young JT would be nice to hook them up even for some free advice.

SBD82

Coach
What is your point mate? Seriously did you get bullied at school or something I just mentioned Sullivan is a similar player to JT in terms of being on the smaller side and has been compared to a young JT would be nice to hook them up even for some free advice.
You understand that having opinions challenged is part of being on a forum, yeah?

Of course it would be nice to have Thurston mentor a young half, but is it realistic?

Between his commentary commitments and the academy that he has already set up to help disadvantaged youth, where do you think he is going to find the time to come and coach a young footballer? And for free? Based on what? That they’re both indigenous?

Latest posts