What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY

Johnston and the Board must also take responsibility for their poor management of this issue. They extended Mary another two years early in the season for no apparent reason other than to say he is the best man for the job.

As I have said on many occasions before, deals were done and Mary's will be on his way; with over 1m in his pocket as a golden handshake.

On the bright side, we may be now able to hold onto some discontented players and get rid of some very poor performers.

There is no real reason to wait until after next week's game to start the review. Management can start it now so that the new coach can start the huge job of sorting this mess.
You’re right possum but you know they won’t take any responsibility because they’re like corrupt politicians

Red V for life

Juniors
This would be an unmitigated disaster for us!

I mean what would become of the Sack McGregor thread????
I can see people aimlessly logging on to see if the imposter has been sacked, then realizing he had!

If it did come to pass, I think the admins of this forum should pin the Sack McGregor thread to the top of the page as a constant reminder of how polarizing one coach could be, as serve as a warning for our new coach.
Not to worry Dragonslayer. I for one look forward to the new “Mary Sacked” thread where we can all give thanks for the miracle of us parting ways with the ‘coach’.

I reckon it would have twice the number of posts as the Sack Mary thread in a few days.

hermidale1

Juniors
Jason Demetriou - totally enamored by the style of football he coaches. Will be good to watch.
1000% JD should be offered the job.
The teams he has had a hand in have been entertaining to watch, and from what I hear he has had the respect of the players each time.
The Cutters had a team of no names that performed well under him.
Offer him the job.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
This would be an unmitigated disaster for us!

I mean what would become of the Sack McGregor thread????
I can see people aimlessly logging on to see if the imposter has been sacked, then realizing he had!

If it did come to pass, I think the admins of this forum should pin the Sack McGregor thread to the top of the page as a constant reminder of how polarizing one coach could be, as serve as a warning for our new coach.

We could have, 'We Sacked McAGregor Thread' and reminisce each week, so its a win win for us!

TheFlash

Juniors
don't get our hopes up, review will say something like, Mary is the best candidate due to issues beyond he's control we had a shit season, he wants to make amends and will increase he's work hours to 18hours per day and will also paint the toilets, plus we dont have $1.2m to give away...
## Not only did we sign him up for a further 2 years, we gave him an upgrade LOL!!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
don't get our hopes up, review will say something like, Mary is the best candidate due to issues beyond he's control we had a shit season, he wants to make amends and will increase he's work hours to 18hours per day and will also paint the toilets, plus we dont have $1.2m to give away...
## Not only did we sign him up for a further 2 years, we gave him an upgrade LOL!!

Unfortunately this is a very real scenario. The Board won't want to admit they got it wrong, won't want to throw away $1.2M, and won't want to shaft an Illawarra old boy.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Unfortunately this is a very real scenario. The Board won't want to admit they got it wrong, won't want to throw away $1.2M, and won't want to shaft an Illawarra old boy.
They can't afford not too, as they will lose sponsors, fans & players. It's past the point of no return now and the club must act or suffer even further.
Surely the Board cannot be that stupid 3 times!

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I agree it's important that the Board now swiftly and decisively so that the incoming coach has time to prepare for next year.
In order of preference:
Jason Demetriou - totally enamored by the style of football he coaches. Will be good to watch.
Craig Fitzgibbon - excellent credential and superb temperament.
Geoff Toovey - great football brain and infectious passion and heart.
Flannagan - considerable wrap sheet but undeniably astute coach.

Dennis, I would be happy with any on your list - would love to own a time machine which I could set back to October 2016 and have Jason Demetriou appointed. What a special three seasons we may have been able to have with his appointment.

Having said that, my preference, assuming the imposter goes, would be for a genuine selection process where the position is advertised and candidates for the position put up their hand and present their credentials. Opaque backroom deals got us into this mess so getting rid of Mary would be only part of the necessary clean up. Wer'e frequently told footy is a business these days so why not select the best candidate through a business like and professional process?

BBTB

Juniors
LINK COPIED

A post-season review at St George Illawarra could claim battling coach Paul McGregor

St George Illawarra’s subpar season could claim coach Paul McGregor’s job with the Dragons to embark on a post-season review which is expected to end his time at the club.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor could be one game away from being sacked as Dragons coach.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that, despite a two-year contract extension earlier this year, officials are resigned to having to make the difficult call after a disastrous season.

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston refused to guarantee McGregor’s future when contacted.

Johnston said there will be a review of the entire football department after their final game of the season against the Titans this weekend before the board will then make a decision on the coach.

“Nothing has changed,” Johnston said. “There will be no decision on any position until after the review.”

Sources have revealed McGregor was struggling to maintain support key powerbrokers before Sunday’s abysmal 42-14 loss to the Wests Tigers at the SCG.

They will finish the season in 15th position, ahead of only the Gold Coast Titans after being tipped as a top-four side and possible premiers earlier in the season. `It is their worst finish as a joint venture.

The Dragons have faced a massive social media backlash from their fans over the coaching position.

McGregor is rumoured to be on $600,000-a-season which would force the Dragons to pay out $1.2 million before signing a new coach.

Two names have been mentioned as possible replacements – Sydney Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon and former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan, who still has to be cleared.

McGregor could not be contacted for comment. He has coached the Dragons since 2014 when he took over from Steve Price.
Yey, u little beauty.

Latest posts