What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

Dark Corner

Juniors
Most forward thinking folks see the NRL as having 4 future expansion targets
Brisbane/SEQLD
Perth
Adelaide
NZ-South

I think most have accepted that Central Coast is a relocation at best, PNG is unsuitable and Darwin/Tasmania/centralQLD are pipe dreams

If you have 1 Sydney team relocate or partial-relocate to central coast, and exclude Dragons as a Wollongong side, that leaves 7. It is unreasonable to relocate 4 teams to service the above locations, leaving only 3 in Sydney.

Which means that 18 teams is a necessity. So lets start with expansion first and see what comes later regarding moves or rationalisation.
We're supposed to beleive the Lions make more revenue than the Broncos who have bigger crowds, more members and sell more merchandise?
Looks like more fudged figures from AFL land.
There was a report a few years ago that had the Penrith Panthers as the most valuable sporting brand in the country but thats only because they have 6 or 7 Leagues clubs with over 150,000 members in total. Not hard the twist numbers to make something look bigger than it is.
And can only get 12000 fans to tune up at games.

Dark Corner

Juniors
yep such a tiny nothing city

stargc.png
Mental how sports have failed in that postcard city.

carcharias

Immortal
We go up to Broadbeach every year in Oct to visit the missus’ family.
Stay right on Kurrawa
I don’t mind it.
Weathers good
Heaps of bars and stuff.
Always seem to get good waves too.
It’s weird for me having surfed at Garie for the last 30 years.
Look back towards national park
No buildings.

Up there
Look back to a bizarre scenery
It’s like a huge silver and glass wall.

You’d think footy would work up there

T-Boon

Coach
There's no way I'd follow another team in the NRL if the Panthers were cut (or relocated for that matter). I watch a lot of NFL and NBA so would just be more active in those rather than follow another NRL team (I consider relocating a team to be essentially creating a new team, and I couldn't follow another team other than the Penrith Panthers)

What if they stayed the Penrith Panthers but decided to move all their home games to the fantastic Bank West Stadium?

Just f**k off those coastal clubs that don't have real beaches.

That's goodbye to the Storm, Broncos and Cowboys.

Define "real" beaches. I only ask as having been to Townsville plenty of times over the years, they do have plenty of beaches. Go along the Strand, or up Heatleys Parade or Cape Pallarenda Road and you will find heaps of them. Then there are heaps more out on Magnetic Island.

adamkungl

Immortal
What about the current black holes in Sydney that dont have a club on their doorstep? Why do you feel ok about creating a massive black hole on the Gold Coast handing afl the region, why do you think Sydney nrl fans can’t travel 45mins but fans in other cities can? So many questions.

A blackhole is anyone who can't walk to a game and Sydney can't have any but the rest of Australia can be entirely blackholes.

Frailty

First Grade
You do realise that that description describes the initial core support base of almost every club right!?

Almost all the people who became the Raiders, Knights, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, fans already 'supported' other clubs in the competition.

Even some of the younger Sydney clubs like Penrith and Cronulla were the same. Like do you seriously believe that Cronulla popped out of a vacuum, because they didn't, in the beginning most of their fans were ex St. George fans.

Absolutely, but in the case of the Raiders, Knights, Titans, Cowboys and Storm - there was no other team playing in those cities at the time. In terms of younger Sydney clubs, aren't we really acknowledging that these teams have limited ability to grow in a crowded Sydney market? Expansion should be about growth, not just a surviving club.

Probably a lot more demand than there is in sydney for the 100+ games a year or whatever they get.

Absolutely. But if the game were starting fresh, would anyone suggest having 9 Sydney teams? I wouldn't think so.
The afl perth and Adelaide experience would suggest if done well both the existing club and the new club will see significant crowd growth. There’s 2.5million people in Brisbane, only 35k of them currently go to a game once a fortnight.

Potentially, but when the second teams in those cities were brought it, the AFL had already expanded to Sydney and Brisbane. If the NRL had a team in Perth and Adelaide, then I could see the benefit of a second Brisbane team for expansion.

I think a second team would be fine in Brisbane, but I don't necessarily believe the assumption it would be a sure thing success. South Queensland Crushers failed miserably, so that experience can't just be ignored - especially when other expansion teams at the same time succeeded.

Saying there are too many teams in Sydney isn't the same as killing one or more of them off when they are all perfectly viable.

I've never advocated for the killing of any Sydney team. I acknowledge that there are too many Sydney teams, and think the game needs to learn from crowding a market.

carcharias

Immortal
Define "real" beaches. I only ask as having been to Townsville plenty of times over the years, they do have plenty of beaches. Go along the Strand, or up Heatleys Parade or Cape Pallarenda Road and you will find heaps of them. Then there are heaps more out on Magnetic Island.

TheFrog

Coach
What if they stayed the Penrith Panthers but decided to move all their home games to the fantastic Bank West Stadium?
They didn't do it last time they build a new ground at Parramatta, why would they do it now?

Latest posts