What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

possm

Coach
‘This has got nothing to do with Paul’s future’: Gus opens up about Dragons season review
1 HOUR AGO
GUS GOULD

DRAGONS.GUS GOULDRUGBY LEAGUE
GettyImages-1145570318.jpg

Gus Gould has shed light on his role in the St George Illawara Dragons end of season review after reports surfaced this week that the former Rugby League administrator will perform an independent evaluation of the club.

Speaking with Julian King, Gould opened up about the ongoing conversations he has had with Dragons officials, and claims that Dragons has nothing to worry about with the incoming review.

“Over the last few weeks, I’ve had a couple of conversations with Paul McGregor and he indicated that after their last game against the Titans, that there would be an end of year review”, Gould said.

“Every club goes through a season review, it’s not unusual and it is part of your forward planning for the next twelve months. As the CEO Brian Johnston indicated, the review takes on more significance when you’ve had a disappointing year, so it’s usually an internal review”

“It was mainly Paul McGregor saying that we just want an independent set of eyes and ears over the situation. I went and had a meeting with Brian Johnston this week about whether or not they needed this review, and whether or not I was the right man to conduct it as well”.

After finishing this season in 15th place, Gould claims that although the findings in the review will be of huge significance, he won’t be talking about it with anyone else other than Dragons officials.

“I won’t be discussing with anyone about what I find in the review. That will be for whoever I have to report too at the Dragons. This is not a paid exercise, this is merely a favour to a bloke I used to coach in Paul McGregor”, Gould stated.

“There’s no worse place in an NRL club when you are struggling and you can’t see the forest from the trees and you feel like the world is closing in on you. I know what the Dragons are going through”.

After signing a new two-year deal earlier in the year, Dragons Coach Paul McGregor has come under fire for his sides lacklustre performances, but Gould says this review will have nothing to do with future of McGregor.

“The review has got nothing to do with Paul’s future as it has been described to me. There has certainly been no indication in any conversation I’ve had with people at the Dragons that Paul McGregor’s position is in doubt or in jeopardy”, Gould stressed.

“I think the whole review is about future planning and making sure the club can do everything they can to provide the right resources around Paul, his coaching staff and his players, so they can achieve their best.”

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/this...tYlox2Z3qzxyH5J076binYD-hh48O6y6cGQ7Gkvm6jhS8
Gould sacked Griffin even though Griffin had the Panthers qualifying for finals football. His remark was that Griffin would never coach a team to win a grand final.

Any person who knows anything about rugby league can see that Mary has not got a clue and has been clueless the past 6 years. Griffin is 10 times the coach Mary is so for me, someone needs to really ask Gould the tough questions and press him on the rubbish he is dishing up at the moment.

God save the Dragons; nothing will save Mary McGregor.

Well I just listened to Gus and a caller asked how in hell can it be a transparent review when Gus is mates with McGregor and McGregor call him about it.

Gus’s reply geez these saints supporters and a crazy bunch.

No we are realists and can see what the club is doing.

The best scenario for us is that the GC put 30 on us tonight and there can be no review as it won’t be needed.
Gould is full of it.
I cannot see how our fans are in any way responsible for the results?
"Crazy" are those who are persevering with a coalfields comp. standard coach in the NRL.

sa1nt5

Juniors
The best bloke to do a review is Big Bad Buzz Rothfield our board know if he was given carte Blanche to do a review the board would be gone along with the most hated man in Australia right now and wherever overseas Dragon might be. Phil Gould doing a love job for his good mate the good bloke is a slap right to our face. If they are fair dinkum about a review then tell Gus thanks but no thanks you doing the review is the same as McGregors wife doing it. Pointless and a waste of everyone’s time especially McGregors considering he only sleeps on game day and training days such is his devotion for results( I reckon he clocks in then jumps the fence and spends his day at the beach) If Buzz knows less about the game then Gus I will fondle McGregors balls and gaze lovingly into his eyes while validating his illusion of being an NRL standard coach all the while reassuring him a mentor for an NRL coach is why Bellamy and Bennett are so successful but not nearly the standard of artist that he himself is. Buzz is almost friendless anyway and wouldn’t hesitate to make another enemy for the sake of integrity.

denis preston

First Grade
Who decided that Young has potential and will stay as an assistant ? He is the defensive or forwards coach and the team has been very deficient in these areas for years . Surely the board can see that retaining him will be nepotism at it's worse. Must be a great bubble down there in Wollongong to not see this.

The best bloke to do a review is Big Bad Buzz Rothfield our board know if he was given carte Blanche to do a review the board would be gone along with the most hated man in Australia right now and wherever overseas Dragon might be. Phil Gould doing a love job for his good mate the good bloke is a slap right to our face. If they are fair dinkum about a review then tell Gus thanks but no thanks you doing the review is the same as McGregors wife doing it. Pointless and a waste of everyone’s time especially McGregors considering he only sleeps on game day and training days such is his devotion for results( I reckon he clocks in then jumps the fence and spends his day at the beach) If Buzz knows less about the game then Gus I will fondle McGregors balls and gaze lovingly into his eyes while validating his illusion of being an NRL standard coach all the while reassuring him a mentor for an NRL coach is why Bellamy and Bennett are so successful but not nearly the standard of artist that he himself is. Buzz is almost friendless anyway and wouldn’t hesitate to make another enemy for the sake of integrity.
I am not sure McGregor's wife would be as lenient as Gould in her review though.

TruSaint

Referee
Gould sacked Griffin even though Griffin had the Panthers qualifying for finals football. His remark was that Griffin would never coach a team to win a grand final.

Any person who knows anything about rugby league can see that Mary has not got a clue and has been clueless the past 6 years. Griffin is 10 times the coach Mary is so for me, someone needs to really ask Gould the tough questions and press him on the rubbish he is dishing up at the moment.

God save the Dragons; nothing will save Mary McGregor.

Dont shoot the messenger.

All you say is correct, however your hope that Gould would come in as Director of Football was not and is not on the cards. In fact, as I said yesterday this was a brilliant ploy by the board to stem the flow of anger headed to front office.

Having Gould involved in a internal review, with a predetermined outcome, initiated by Mary himself, is pure gold.

Well played Mary. Kudos. Survival 101.

Vent at the board, not the coach. They endorsed this process and our new CEO makes Doust look like Jeff Bezos.

possm

Coach

All you say is correct, however your hope that Gould would come in as Director of Football was not and is not on the cards. In fact, as I said yesterday this was a brilliant ploy by the board to stem the flow of anger headed to front office.

Having Gould involved in a internal review, with a predetermined outcome, initiated by Mary himself, is pure gold.

Vent at the board, not the coach. They endorsed this process and our new CEO makes Doust look like Jeff Bezos.
Yes you are right. Unfortunately I have been living in hope for SGI to return to be run like a normal club.

Now I see the light. Mary will be retained until early 2020. Then sacked for Dean Young to take over.

It is so clear to me now.

Mary gets his golden hand shake.
Dean Young's father has come through again with another deal.

hazzbeen

Bench
Yes you are right. Unfortunately I have been living in hope for SGI to return to be run like a normal club.

Now I see the light. Mary will be retained until early 2020. Then sacked for Dean Young to take over.

Corruption......

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Its obvious that McTeflon isn't going anywhere.
So, Gould coming here to cast a different set of eyes , I would like him to answer 3 questions:

1. Is the power game the only play McTeflon has? If not, why havent we seen any evidence of an alternative game plan?
2. Why is the selection of player left to the player themselves, especially those with injuries or suffering fatigue?
3. Why are players, who are out of form, continued to be selected?

Yeah, I know that technically 4 questions.

jeffdragon

Bench
So, Gould coming here to cast a different set of eyes , I would like him to answer 3 questions:

1. Is the power game the only play McTeflon has? If not, why havent we seen any evidence of an alternative game plan?
2. Why is the selection of player left to the player themselves, especially those with injuries or suffering fatigue?

I know one answer he will give is Aiken and Lafai will be in the centres R1 next year.

jeffdragon

Bench

Yes Mary asked for help from Gould, so he would get a positive outcome for himself.
These rumours he was going are all rumours, he was never going anywhere.

TruSaint

Referee

Sorry mate,

I know you are as passionate as they come, and offer well intended suggestions, just thought it was time as a collective to acknowledge that as long as the board remains on this path, then any changes will be superficial or sacrificial ( as in lower level employees, known as scapegoats.)...

Expect a professional drafted review that will be lengthy in wording, but absolutely hollow in intent and substance, once this farcical review is public. Macro objectives, without any micro analysis.

I've never seen this forum so united in our disdain.

Its a sad state that such unity arises from the depths of despair.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

DS,
You forgot one very important question ........................

Q - Is there any conceviable chance of McIdiot ever implementing a Plan B?

Latest posts