What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ottawa

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Their place in League 1 has been deferred. It’s not a confirmation of 2021 entry.
You’re absolutely right mate. It’s all very confusing as I thought there was an imminent big shakeup coming in 2021 with the possible axing of league 1?

Maybe Ottawa will enter a revamped championship in 2021?

deluded pom?

Coach
You’re absolutely right mate. It’s all very confusing as I thought there was an imminent big shakeup coming in 2021 with the possible axing of league 1?

Maybe Ottawa will enter a revamped championship in 2021?
Or maybe they're waiting to see what the result of the shake up is before making any commitments?

wain

Juniors
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-184/

Ottawa want central funding

Ottawa’s delayed entry to League 1 follows a wrangle over central funding, with owner Eric Perez arguing he shouldn’t have to waive his right to the central distribution as he owns a member club, having taken over Hemel’s licence with the RFL.

Any overseas club wishing to join the league is being asked to waive rights to central funding. While it’s not an issue in the lower leagues, particularly with its likely reduction or even abolition in 2021, prospective owners are concerned at the impact of not being able to take central funding when they reach Super League.

New York to get green light

The New York bid to join League 1 from 2021 is expected to get the nod by the end of the year.

They will enter the third tier alongside Ottawa in the latest plans to expand the game. Their headline signing target is Great Britain captain James Graham, while they are also pondering approaches to Benji Marshall, Darius Boyd and the Morris twins, according to reports Down Under.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-186/

Walter sobchak

First Grade
New York to get green light

The New York bid to join League 1 from 2021 is expected to get the nod by the end of the year.

They will enter the third tier alongside Ottawa in the latest plans to expand the game. Their headline signing target is Great Britain captain James Graham, while they are also pondering approaches to Benji Marshall, Darius Boyd and the Morris twins, according to reports Down Under.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-186/
So league 1 isn’t getting canned in 2021 after all.

I just have this niggling feeling that either New York or Ottawa or maybe even both won’t happen and workout like Toronto have so far because neither of them have a moneyman like David Argyle to bankroll the whole operation.

RFL not keen on fast track process

The Rugby Football League have attracted plenty of interest from other countries who want to enter the professional game.

Teams from Valencia, Dublin and Barcelona have been linked with entering the RFL ranks in the near future, while New York and Ottawa are expected to enter League 1 in 2021. The RFL don’t like the idea of having a fast track process for teams though and they believe that League 1 is a good competition for clubs to start in and learn things from. Starting from the bottom like Toronto Wolfpack did is the right model, according to RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-191/

Pommy

Coach
RFL not keen on fast track process

The Rugby Football League have attracted plenty of interest from other countries who want to enter the professional game.

Teams from Valencia, Dublin and Barcelona have been linked with entering the RFL ranks in the near future, while New York and Ottawa are expected to enter League 1 in 2021. The RFL don’t like the idea of having a fast track process for teams though and they believe that League 1 is a good competition for clubs to start in and learn things from. Starting from the bottom like Toronto Wolfpack did is the right model, according to RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-191/

neither should they be. The RFL aren’t responsible for international development, it teams want to come in that’s fine but you can’t give them preferential treatment.

RayCee

Juniors
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-184/

Ottawa want central funding

Ottawa’s delayed entry to League 1 follows a wrangle over central funding, with owner Eric Perez arguing he shouldn’t have to waive his right to the central distribution as he owns a member club, having taken over Hemel’s licence with the RFL.

Any overseas club wishing to join the league is being asked to waive rights to central funding. While it’s not an issue in the lower leagues, particularly with its likely reduction or even abolition in 2021, prospective owners are concerned at the impact of not being able to take central funding when they reach Super League.
Shame, as Ottawa seem to have much to offer. They are soundly based as a sporting organisation and it will help the game in Canada to have a higher profile. I know in a sport like RL planning ahead is difficult as money is always at a premium but Ottawa is a great opportunity and not one to be lost if possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF there is significantly increased costs for overseas clubs to join english RL. Where do these clubs think that money will come from? If an overseas club cant carry the very small grants those divisions get you'd have to question their viability wouldn't you? Bit different when at SL level as grant is significant part of revenue.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I have huge doubts over both Ottawa and New York as they don’t seem to have a rich backer like Toronto do in argyle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have huge doubts over both Ottawa and New York as they don’t seem to have a rich backer like Toronto do in argyle.

There in lies the problem, its all built on a pack of cards. If the only hope of sustainability is a multi millionaire bank rolling a club then its likely got a very iffy future. Initial investment to build sustainability is fine but if the only hope of survival is the owner not getting bored then it is a worry.

RayCee

Juniors
There in lies the problem, its all built on a pack of cards. If the only hope of sustainability is a multi millionaire bank rolling a club then its likely got a very iffy future. Initial investment to build sustainability is fine but if the only hope of survival is the owner not getting bored then it is a worry.
I don't know much about the NY bid but I was initially surprised it got the nod before the Ottawa one. In Ottawa, as I understand it the new team would be working with the OSEG Group. Who are they you may ask?

https://www.tdplace.ca/oseg/

Sounds promising but I don't have all the details, so there would be good reason why NY got the go ahead instead. There is nothing certain in any of this long term.

Ever since David Argyle got involved with Toronto Wolfpack, some have said if he walks it's all over there too. He hasn't and seems committed, so who knows what the future holds? The way the RFL has put the deals together is it won't hurt the game if any of these sides don't succeed. In that sense, well worth the punt.

Last edited: