What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

callmack1

Staff member
Yeah, its a fake. Came from a fake twitter account.

On the subject of signings, we are on the lookout in a few different positions but don't expect a David Fafita or some other big name NRL player to join the club this year. If we do sign an international, it will be from England. I keep hearing that Luke Thompson is a done deal but who knows? If he lands here, he will be our marquee for this year and a like for like replacement for George.

I'm told that any other guys we sign will be typical Bennett type signings. Guys who have just made the grade this year or are on the fringe of NRL that Bennett see's promise in. Or some older guys who are looking for one last contract before retirement that think they still have something to offer. Basically, Wayne is on the hunt for money ball signings like he landed with Ethan Lowe this year.

We have a little bit of money in the kitty but Bennett will look to build up our depth rather than spend it all on one or two marquee players.
Yea I saw it was fake today which is a bit of a bummer.

Some other news for you, did anyone notice in the team Line Up reveal article for this week, they mentioned farewelling some departing legends such as Sutto, GI and George. However, they also mentioned Kyle Turner! Does that confirm he's departing at Season's end?

handyman2190

Bench
Yea I saw it was fake today which is a bit of a bummer.

Some other news for you, did anyone notice in the team Line Up reveal article for this week, they mentioned farewelling some departing legends such as Sutto, GI and George. However, they also mentioned Kyle Turner! Does that confirm he's departing at Season's end?
He was told last year he would not be resigned, richo also went over to Uk trying to shift him from this seasons roster which didnt work, poor kyle is very injury prone and his defence can be found wanting unfortunately, he is also on too much money for what he does, like 300 plus.

truthslayer

Juniors
He was told last year he would not be resigned, richo also went over to Uk trying to shift him from this seasons roster which didnt work, poor kyle is very injury prone and his defence can be found wanting unfortunately, he is also on too much money for what he does, like 300 plus.
His defense is ok Yes injury prone, from last year where seibold rarely used him Bennett has obviously a different opinion.

callmack1

Staff member
Based on what Wayne was saying in today's presser, it sounds like Tom has progressed really well with his injury and could be back next week which would be awesome.

LittleWayne

Juniors
Based on what Wayne was saying in today's presser, it sounds like Tom has progressed really well with his injury and could be back next week which would be awesome.

Think we’ve been better without the twins in all honesty.

I’d give Sam and Tom a tap on the shoulder and let them go at the end of 2020, in fact if we could get Luke Thompson and David Fifita I’d let them go with George.

callmack1

Staff member
Brydens Lawyers Injury Report Finals Week 1: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/09/06/injury-report-finals-week-1/

Somewhat positive report, better than what I was expecting to be honest.

Sam Burgess Charged: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/09/06/sam-burgess-charged/

Well that is complete and utter bullshit!!! If you didn't think Sam was unfairly treated by the MRC, then you just need to look at this!! What a friggin joke, I can't believe he's been charged from that! When has anyone ever been charged for hair pulling, honestly? But no, because it's Sam, he's treated differently. How the hell can guys like Cam Smith get away with shit like this, caught on camera, every week but Sam is pulled up on every little thing?!! man, what a joke!

Hair today, gone tomorrow? Burgess' plans hit a hurdle: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/06/hair-today-gone-tomorrow-burgess-plans-hit-a-hurdle/

‘It’s a joke’ - Legend Steve Roach takes aim at NRL over Sam Burgess, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves charges: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/301d11eceb6a423824470d63f517e294

callmack1

Staff member
Judiciary update - Sam Burgess to miss Finals week one: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/09/07/sam-burgess-charged/

Too slick? Souths ask NRL for ‘please explain’ as Chooks escape charge: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/3c1167db320c58091e76c4646e84e098

It's just absolute bullshit! I honestly can't believe it!! Yet, Tetevano or Cordner aren't sighted at all! What a fuggin joke!!

NRL Finals week one - Fixture times and locations confirmed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/23519afe3b1d23da212a34beda11b3c8

Absolutely stoked to see Canberra lose today which means we finish third and play the Roosters! I'd much rather play them then Melbourne in Melbourne. Will just have to fire up that much more and talk about hate two weeks in a row.

callmack1

Staff member
Latrell Mitchell Rabbitohs rumour resurfaces before Roosters grudge match: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rabbit...reaction/f670a065-2f62-48b1-af7b-2539dd1db2ba

Also, from Sporting News, seems like a bullshit article based on someone's 'gut feeling.' Not saying it won't happen but there doesn't seem much to it yet,

South Sydney Rabbitohs star Cody Walker potentially leaving the club at end of 2020 Season

South Sydney Rabbitohs excitement machine Cody Walker was on fire on Thursday night against the Sydney Roosters - but could he be on his way out of Redfern sooner rather than later?

The five-eighth finished off a scintillating team try in Souths 16-10 win over their local rivals in Round 25, and will play a key part in their quest for premiership glory in the next month.

But according to The Australian's Brent Read on Triple M's Rush Hour before the game on Thursday, the 29-year old may be looking to exit the club where he made his NRL debut in the next 18 months.

"I’ve just got a sense that he’s going to go to market on November 1 Cody Walker," he said.

"I’m not sure Souths have a bucketload of room under the salary cap after next year and he’s a guy that took a long time to make it first grade, and I think he might be looking for a payday.

"He’ll be 30 next year...this is probably his final payday and Souths aren’t in a position to give him what he probably wants.

"I reckon Cody Walker might get some money thrown at him."

It would be a massive blow if the Rabbitohs were to lose Walker, who alongisde Damien Cook and Cameron Murray are the main attacking weapons in their lineup.

And Read believes that a club like the Gold Coast Titans could be keen on his services for the 2021 season onwards as they look to improve under new coach Justin Holbrook after a horror 2019.

They’re after anyone at the moment," he joked.

"Gold Coast would appear a pretty good fit for him. If you remember around Origin there was all that talk around him being worth huge amounts of money.

"At the time Souths said they want to keep him and he’s a November 1 guy...he's a really interesting one."

Souths will take on either Melbourne or the Roosters in the first week of the finals next week - and will be sweating on the fitness of prop Liam Knight after he was taken off after a nasty head-clash with Lindsay Collins.

Travitoh

First Grade
Latrell Mitchell Rabbitohs rumour resurfaces before Roosters grudge match: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rabbit...reaction/f670a065-2f62-48b1-af7b-2539dd1db2ba

Also, from Sporting News, seems like a bullshit article based on someone's 'gut feeling.' Not saying it won't happen but there doesn't seem much to it yet,

South Sydney Rabbitohs star Cody Walker potentially leaving the club at end of 2020 Season

South Sydney Rabbitohs excitement machine Cody Walker was on fire on Thursday night against the Sydney Roosters - but could he be on his way out of Redfern sooner rather than later?

The five-eighth finished off a scintillating team try in Souths 16-10 win over their local rivals in Round 25, and will play a key part in their quest for premiership glory in the next month.

But according to The Australian's Brent Read on Triple M's Rush Hour before the game on Thursday, the 29-year old may be looking to exit the club where he made his NRL debut in the next 18 months.

"I’ve just got a sense that he’s going to go to market on November 1 Cody Walker," he said.

"I’m not sure Souths have a bucketload of room under the salary cap after next year and he’s a guy that took a long time to make it first grade, and I think he might be looking for a payday.

"He’ll be 30 next year...this is probably his final payday and Souths aren’t in a position to give him what he probably wants.

"I reckon Cody Walker might get some money thrown at him."

It would be a massive blow if the Rabbitohs were to lose Walker, who alongisde Damien Cook and Cameron Murray are the main attacking weapons in their lineup.

And Read believes that a club like the Gold Coast Titans could be keen on his services for the 2021 season onwards as they look to improve under new coach Justin Holbrook after a horror 2019.

They’re after anyone at the moment," he joked.

"Gold Coast would appear a pretty good fit for him. If you remember around Origin there was all that talk around him being worth huge amounts of money.

"At the time Souths said they want to keep him and he’s a November 1 guy...he's a really interesting one."

Souths will take on either Melbourne or the Roosters in the first week of the finals next week - and will be sweating on the fitness of prop Liam Knight after he was taken off after a nasty head-clash with Lindsay Collins.

'I think'
'I reckon'
'Probably'

Like you suggest, junk article that is written after what was pretty much a pub discussion and after all that the writer isn't even convinced himself that it could be a true story.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Michael Ennis and Corey Parker clash over consistency of match review committee: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/8a2c4fac831244fdb531371c2a0ff232

‘Morons like you can’t understand’ - Paul Kent and James Hooper clash in on-air feud: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/mo...d/news-story/d953be1d69ecfe72f61457ed163a3257

Also, from Zero Tackle,

Rabbitohs confirm the departures of nine players

The Rabbitohs have confirmed the departure of nine players during their Round 25 win over the Sydney Roosters.

Club veterans Greg Inglis and John Sutton are both retiring, with Inglis being forced to end his career earlier in the year due to injury.

George Burgess (Wigan Warriors), Dean Britt (Bulldogs) and Connor Tracey (Sharks) will move to new clubs in 2020.

The club also confirmed that Billy Brittain, Jacob Gagan, Mawene Hiroti and Kyle Turner won’t be returning next Season.

handyman2190

Bench
Michael Ennis and Corey Parker clash over consistency of match review committee: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/8a2c4fac831244fdb531371c2a0ff232

‘Morons like you can’t understand’ - Paul Kent and James Hooper clash in on-air feud: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/mo...d/news-story/d953be1d69ecfe72f61457ed163a3257

Also, from Zero Tackle,

Rabbitohs confirm the departures of nine players

The Rabbitohs have confirmed the departure of nine players during their Round 25 win over the Sydney Roosters.

Club veterans Greg Inglis and John Sutton are both retiring, with Inglis being forced to end his career earlier in the year due to injury.

George Burgess (Wigan Warriors), Dean Britt (Bulldogs) and Connor Tracey (Sharks) will move to new clubs in 2020.

The club also confirmed that Billy Brittain, Jacob Gagan, Mawene Hiroti and Kyle Turner won’t be returning next Season.
Well if they cant step up when needed what use are they,we are not in the business of developing 2nd graders,thanks fellas and good luck ,you cant say you didnt get a chance

Travitoh

First Grade
Well if they cant step up when needed what use are they,we are not in the business of developing 2nd graders,thanks fellas and good luck ,you cant say you didnt get a chance

That's harsh on Kyle Turner. Not a star but has let the club down a lot less than some of the much loved stars.
I believe letting him go without a contract could be a mistake. He could be South Sydney's Mitch Aubusson.

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That's harsh on Kyle Turner. Not a star but has let the club down a lot less than some of the much loved stars.
I believe letting him go without a contract could be a mistake. He could be South Sydney's Mitch Aubusson.

Hard to say regarding Turner. He’s had some average games but also some really good ones. I think his best position has been centre and we’ve already recruited Goodwin and Paulo for depth in Centre. I think Bayley Sironen has the potential to be that new mr fix it.

Time will tell whether it’s an error but I don’t think we’ve made any major errors in retention for a while now. The last one was probably Nathan Brown and some Souths fans would argue Luke Keary.

Travitoh

First Grade
Hard to say regarding Turner. He’s had some average games but also some really good ones. I think his best position has been centre and we’ve already recruited Goodwin and Paulo for depth in Centre. I think Bayley Sironen has the potential to be that new mr fix it.

Time will tell whether it’s an error but I don’t think we’ve made any major errors in retention for a while now. The last one was probably Nathan Brown and some Souths fans would argue Luke Keary.

That's a good point you make mentioning Sironen. I've not seen a lot of him but he looks alright from what i have.
Hopefully it's also a sign that the clubs pathways is already baring fruit which would be excellent if it were.

callmack1

Staff member
Not gonna lie, I'll be sad to see Turner go. He's been a fantastic servant to our club over the years and he's a part of that 2014 Premiership winning side so he'll forever hold a place in my heart. I'd be really happy to keep him (which won't happen now) but if his departure means we can sign someone of a higher calibre then I'm cool with that.

Conference model to be considered in expansion review: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/conference-model-to-be-considered-in-expansion-review/

NRL threatens fines for trainers incorrectly attempting to stop play in Finals: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/873f88a5ceac29f0f2daa56492cae6cf

handyman2190

Bench
For the record, turner is a top bloke a diehard junior and yes sad to see him go, but hes had a season of warning he wouldnt be resigned, he is injury prone and he is on decent coin, not worth his contribution, yes he didnt do that bad a job at centre but ive also seen other backs go straight through him there. I hope he gets a gig in the super league

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That's a good point you make mentioning Sironen. I've not seen a lot of him but he looks alright from what i have.
Hopefully it's also a sign that the clubs pathways is already baring fruit which would be excellent if it were.

Honestly I think Bennett has benefitted majorly from the pathways. We have used up to 30 players from the squad this year and still finished 3rd. Very impressive depth especially because it was only a couple of years ago when most Souths supporters were crying out about how horrible our depth was including me.