What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

TruSaint

Referee
So we are willing to have another 2 years of Mary so as to satisfy Flanno...?

No thanks.

If Flanno does come as assistant ( big if ), whats to say after 2 years of working in the shite system we have, dealing with the likes of Mary, he pisses off to the first available head coaching role, and there will be plenty.

If Mary fails next year and he will, what happens? Flanno cant take charge, so another novice comes in ? Its 2 more years of Mary 0r equivalent.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So we are willing to have another 2 years of Mary so as to satisfy Flanno...?

No thanks.

If Flanno does come as assistant ( big if ), whats to say after 2 years of working in the shite system we have, dealing with the likes of Mary, he pisses off to the first available head coaching role, and there will be plenty.

If Mary fails next year and he will, what happens? Flanno cant take charge, so another novice comes in ? Its 2 more years of Mary 0r equivalent.

Yep, never have l seen so much money, effort & time, wasted in dealing with complete and utter tripe.

There's only so much money you can throw down the drain before you have to flush the chain?

We're dealing with club management raw sewerage.

TruSaint

Referee
Yep, never have l seen so much money, effort & time, wasted in dealing with complete and utter tripe.

There's only so much money you can throw down the drain before you have to flush the chain?

We're dealing with club management raw sewerage.

OKB, here is a question mate.

IF we sign Flanno and Mary fails early in 2020, should a 1st grade coach become available why would he join us ? How many coaches swapped jobs or got sacked last season ? Things change and we will lock ourselves in a corner, with NO guarantee that Flanno will take over in 2022.

Its a waste of money. Sack Mary get in a new coach on a short term deal and move on.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
OKB, here is a question mate.

IF we sign Flanno and Mary fails early in 2020, should a 1st grade coach become available why would he join us ? How many coaches swapped jobs or got sacked last season ? Things change and we will lock ourselves in a corner, with NO guarantee that Flanno will take over in 2022.

Its a waste of money. Sack Mary get in a new coach on a short term deal and move on.

Tru,
Keep in mind, Flanno has a wealth of experience in coaching from behind a screen or alike so he should be able to 'carry on regardless ' if McGregor is moved sideways.

I’m happy for Flanno to come onboard in December for the next few years as Assistant.
New Assistant job description needs to be, take charge of player conversations, organise and communicate game plans, review player roster, strategy and welfare, attend all press conferences and provide feedback and coaching to all players, especially the first grade squad and juniors.
Mary to remain as head coach to avoid payout and new head coach job discription is as follows, ensure ample supply of Oranges on game day, lead by example with cutting of Oranges and finally hand out Oranges to players during half time. Outside of playing days the head coach can get a tape measure to ensure footy field is suggested 98 metres in length. Outside of these duties Mary can start to recoup excessive hours from 14 hour days worked this year down to just 2 hour days, four times a week.
Problems solved and this forum can return to normal.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Jimmy I'd rather a rookie from a coaching system whom has achieved success & is responsible for a Defensive Wall, than have to put up with Another 2 years of the Deflective Experienced Peanut.
All NRL coaches were Rookies once, it's just up to a club to identify the right one based on their career development not just a Friggin Old Boy that can drink and paint.

The first part of your reply echoes Steve Price, who unfortunately, inherited an aging squad from Wayne Bennett.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I seriously cannot see Flanno coming to the Dragons to be an assistant to the current Peanut. I believe he will end up at one of the more progressive clubs like the Roosters or the Bulldogs and bide his time for 2 years. He will want redemption and success to further his prospects as a Head Coach.
At the Dragons, he will only be thrown under the Bus & blamed by the Master of Deflection.
What's the point in hanging around to ultimately watch Dean Young be promoted as an interim coach if & when McSpeedhump is flicked.
BTW I'm sure Flanno would have a chat to his mate and former assistant Steve Price to gage about Mary and his character to work beside. Warning there to Bring a shield and armour as Mary will backstab from any angle.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Tru,
Keep in mind, Flanno has a wealth of experience in coaching from behind a screen or alike so he should be able to 'carry on regardless ' if McGregor is moved sideways.

Buddy, he's already had 2 strikes with the NRL, and to quote Greenberg, on the NRL site.

"This is not a set and forget approach. Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the Integrity Unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons."

If he does come, he will buy his time and make a decent living. Impact will be minimal.

Depending on who you believe Mary is on between 600-800k, and Flanno as assistant will probably earn half of that. That's over 1 million per year for the collective. To still have Mary in charge.

I thought we couldn't pay Mary out, or use the dispensation of 300k for JDB that the NRL gave us, yet we can afford to add Flanno's salaries to a our coaching bills? Doesn't stack up to me and I doubt it will happen. Time will tell.

TruSaint

Referee
From sporting- news.com site. ( sorry no link ).

Nathan Brown to Cronulla?

Nathan Brown has emerged as a genuine contender for the vacant assistant coach's role at Cronulla.

Brown still has property in the Sutherland Shire and has always had an affection for the club. He supported the club as a boy and almost signed with the Sharks during his playing days.

The former Newcastle coach would add valuable experience to John Morris, who is on the hunt for an assistant in 2020 after Jim Dymock signed with the Gold Coast.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Flanno, fits perfectly.
Assistant to Mary, 2yrs.
Mary out,
Flanno in.
Every one happy, Mary knows, one slip up.
He's gone.. Hahaha.
Excellent:thumbsup::clap::laughing:
But he's not gone, because Flanno can't coach for 2 years under any circumstance so its no good having an assistant that can't take over the head role within 6 months if need be. That will just mean we have to go out and find an interim coach for say a year and a half which is resigning ourselves to another couple of rubbish seasons. We need an assistant that can take over in 2020 or sooner not in 2022. Honestly I hope Flanno and Fitzy do a swap at the Roosters or something. Robbo is going nowhere soon, so he may as well learn some tricks. We get Fitzy as an assistant and if Mary gets the chop Fitzy takes over.

TruSaint

Referee
But he's not gone, because Flanno can't coach for 2 years under any circumstance so its no good having an assistant that can't take over the head role within 6 months if need be. That will just mean we have to go out and find an interim coach for say a year and a half which is resigning ourselves to another couple of rubbish seasons. We need an assistant that can take over in 2020 or sooner not in 2021.

Nailed it

St Georgio

Juniors
From sporting- news.com site. ( sorry no link ).

Nathan Brown to Cronulla?

Nathan Brown has emerged as a genuine contender for the vacant assistant coach's role at Cronulla.

Brown still has property in the Sutherland Shire and has always had an affection for the club. He supported the club as a boy and almost signed with the Sharks during his playing days.

The former Newcastle coach would add valuable experience to John Morris, who is on the hunt for an assistant in 2020 after Jim Dymock signed with the Gold Coast.
Great Go Browny to the Sharks!
Been there Done That!
I don't understand many f@#kers here, Shane Flannagan tops the Vote, but there is resistance, we have Shaune Wane but we fart at his success, we thought Des Hasler was done and dusted!
FMD, Hail Mary's reign, the greatest misfits are here;

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Flanno, fits perfectly.
Assistant to Mary, 2yrs.
Mary out,
Flanno in.
Every one happy, Mary knows, one slip up.
He's gone.. Hahaha.
Excellent:thumbsup::clap::laughing:
Not such a good idea. If Mary 'slips up' then Flano can't take over during that 2 year period.

Brown and Flano for a two year deal. Let's just see how they go during that period, no point in getting ahead of ourselves.

Mary has had his chance and the Board just need to pay for their mistake by paying him out. We owe Mary nothing.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Cmon man, can't you see he used a bit of the Steelers 1992 tactics as well. Geez, give the man some credit. Those 14 hour days he spends is not just on implementing the 1991 tactics.

Just checked the records, and Steelers had a really good season in 1992. So no, MacGregor doesn't use Steelers 1992 tactics.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m happy for Flanno to come onboard in December for the next few years as Assistant.
New Assistant job description needs to be, take charge of player conversations, organise and communicate game plans, review player roster, strategy and welfare, attend all press conferences and provide feedback and coaching to all players, especially the first grade squad and juniors.
Mary to remain as head coach to avoid payout and new head coach job discription is as follows, ensure ample supply of Oranges on game day, lead by example with cutting of Oranges and finally hand out Oranges to players during half time. Outside of playing days the head coach can get a tape measure to ensure footy field is suggested 98 metres in length. Outside of these duties Mary can start to recoup excessive hours from 14 hour days worked this year down to just 2 hour days, four times a week.
Problems solved and this forum can return to normal.

That is not as far fetched an idea than you think...re Flanno anyway.
I can see Mary now...
"Aw the oranges did not arrive as the truck rolled on the way to the ground. I was not given enough time to get some more...geez 2020 has been a year of above average disruptions"

Crush

Coach
I think the appointment of the next assistant coach will be the clubs most important decision in the past 20 years... it's important that the next assistant coach has the ability to slot into the main role if Mcgregor fails in the first 2 months and his position becomes untenable...I think that then rules out Flanagan...it could be anyone out of :
Brown
Furner
Griffin (yes Griffin)
Why do we have to appoint a new assistant coach when the problem is the head coach? Its absolutely ludicrous to appoint Griffin as an assistant when he should be given the head job.
Why must we wait 2 months and potentially ruin another season just to finally prove that McGregor isn't up to it? It drives me fricken bonkers!
Dear board- SUCK IT UP. You got it wrong. Pay the man out and move FORWARD NOW!!!

draco

Juniors
Why do we have to appoint a new assistant coach when the problem is the head coach? Its absolutely ludicrous to appoint Griffin as an assistant when he should be given the head job.
Why must we wait 2 months and potentially ruin another season just to finally prove that McGregor isn't up to it? It drives me fricken bonkers!
Dear board- SUCK IT UP. You got it wrong. Pay the man out and move FORWARD NOW!!!
upload_2019-9-21_10-15-10.jpeg

I agree. Pay ‘em out early.