What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California Rugby League

adamkungl

Immortal
nospam18.com/united-states/new-rugby-league-comp-takes-shape-in-california

(LU doesnt allow links to rugby league planet for reasons im sure are completely valid)

Moves are well underway for a resurgence in rugby league on the US West Coast with the establishment of the new California Rugby League.

Two founding teams have been set up in Los Angeles and San Francisco and they are tentatively scheduled to play the first exhibition game of the new competition in early December.

There are plans for the California Rugby League to start off with a five-week competition in 2020 with San Diego, Sacramento and Oakland having been identified as cities for new teams and rugby league events.

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyway, jokes aside, a positive development.
If they keep it tight - have an aim of 4 teams in the LA metro area + 4 in the San Fran Bay Area (2 regions with a population almost the size of Australia) they could build something strong here.

The Stockyarder

Juniors
Looking forward to this concept out West. The more local competitions we can get up and running the better. Imagine long term if the USARL finals had multiple conference winners feeding into a playoff to give a national champion. Imagine a final four in Vegas over Labor Day weekend to crown the champs each year? Pie in the sky at this stage, I know, but at least we can dream.

Saturday

Semi 1: West winner v North winner
Semi 2: Midwest winner v South winner

Labor Day Monday

Grand Final: Semi 1 winner v Semi 2 winner

How about the USARL 9s (all teams bar the GF teams) on the Sunday so everyone in the American RL community knows that Labor Day weekend is the weekend to be at and can book in early every year regardless of who makes the final?

I need to keep buying those lottery tickets!

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Anyway, jokes aside, a positive development.
If they keep it tight - have an aim of 4 teams in the LA metro area + 4 in the San Fran Bay Area (2 regions with a population almost the size of Australia) they could build something strong here.
This. To be fair though there are some states in the US that have the populations of medium sized countries which could allow RL to develop along the lines of what’s being proposed in California and Texas.

Florida, Illinois, New York and Ohio etc to name just a few. Maybe concentrate on building an inter-state rivalry between the various cities and towns in that state instead of dreaming about some miracle US/North American professional competition that’s never going to happen unless some billionaire with a TV deal magic’s up out of nowhere.

Stallion

First Grade
This. To be fair though there are some states in the US that have the populations of medium sized countries which could allow RL to develop along the lines of what’s being proposed in California and Texas.

Florida, Illinois, New York and Ohio etc to name just a few. Maybe concentrate on building an inter-state rivalry between the various cities and towns in that state instead of dreaming about some miracle US/North American professional competition that’s never going to happen unless some billionaire with a TV deal magic’s up out of nowhere.

Getting the locals playing is a big thing! Promoting local rivalries become both cultural and convenient . So yes. That's the way forward. And cross fingers someone or a proactive business sees how good this football code really is. It's a hidden gem at the moment!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
First game for the new league will be on December 7 in San Francisco when the LA Mongrels take on the San Francisco Savage.

Savage Kit:

Mongrel Kit:

Exciting to see this happening.

Well that might just be the best RL jumper i have ever seen. Cant wait to see it in the flesh!!!

Since NRL clubs jump on every f*cking gimmicks they spot, maybe this will catch on for a little bit

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, rather than looking at countries, pick a city and build a small comp from there...

NRL is the biggest rugby comp in the world but it only started with 7 inner Sydney teams and 2 regional clubs.

Stallion

First Grade
Yeh, rather than looking at countries, pick a city and build a small comp from there...

NRL is the biggest rugby comp in the world but it only started with 7 inner Sydney teams and 2 regional clubs.

Pick a city or cities and get a local competition happening with local.rivalries . It should grow from there . After all we are talking about a football code that is not afforded any real. establishment support ( being played in schools or universities ) .So that's the logical path. Make it community based with rivalries.Then hopefully the word gets out and schools/ universities take it up. It's a great football code with little presence . It needs to be enjoyed and relevant to local communities and then grow from this.

yakstorm

First Grade

The chances of this magic billionaire appearing is far more likely if there are more competitions like your California or Texas across the US, or maybe each of these regional competitions will one day turn into additional Conferences that feed into a National competition.

Anyway, whilst either of the above won't be happening anytime soon, I do hope that we see more of a regionalised / localised approach start to happen more across the US. For me, and I will admit that I'm following from afar, it has felt like Rugby League in the US has been too focused on just on the USARL (and previously AMNRL) Premiership.

By this I mean, any new teams or areas have been purely focused on trying to join that competition and nothing is done to help build the foundations below it, which has, in my opinion, stagnated the spreading of the code .

Even with both the Texas and California competitions, there are some rather ambitious plans, LA to SF for example is almost 6 hours driving, and whilst flights are cheap, they add up very quickly once you have 20-odd people flying regularly and are a lot to ask from amateur players for anymore than one offs, and even if you can get a few groups to commit to that, it then sets a high barrier for any new groups or teams to join (the same issue the East Coast competition has).

I hope for California, part of its mid-term plans to grow are to more break into sub-conferences, centred around SF and LA, versus everyone trying to play each other. From SF, the likes of Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento are all big cities which are within 2 hours of each other, whilst LA to San Diego is the same.

A setup like that would make it far easier for new clubs to pop up and to join or to start to build out reserve grade or age group teams below the top tier.

Sjrugby

Juniors
If you read my q&a with one of the founders of CRL you'll get some info. Also there will be a curtain raiser before the main match that will be played between two local clubs. Which clubs not sure ( probably SFGG putting out a league team) .

https://llrugby.blogspot.com/?m=1