What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

Panther Mick

Juniors
Aitken was mentioned in origin a year ago. Better than Whare so would be decent depth at worse

Aitken's form at the start of last year was exceptional. He outplayed GI and was the form centre for 2 months. Then he lined up against Latrell, who burnt him. He has never been the same since.
It doesn't help having McGregor as coach either.

franklin2323

Immortal
Aitken's form at the start of last year was exceptional. He outplayed GI and was the form centre for 2 months. Then he lined up against Latrell, who burnt him. He has never been the same since.
It doesn't help having McGregor as coach either.

Not much difference between Mary and Ivan as a coach. The change though sometimes is what players need

mxlegend99

Referee
Sky is the limit potential wise. I'd rather him for 1/4 the price of say Blake who I think peaked and doesn't fit the style
Where do you get Naden costing us 1/4 of Blake?

We are paying Blake money not to be here. More than a quarter of his wage most likely which ismoney we arent saving by not having him. Then you have the minimum wage payment Naden is on and the match payments from last years games.

If we had Blake hes on ~$500k. Without him Naden would be taking ~$300k at minimum between Blakes payments and his own.

Personally I don't think Naden has a very long future at centre at all. Its wing or a very limited centre career for him IMO. He's just too far off the pace defensively and has zero ballplaying skills which effectively means you have a centre whose winger is wasted and a huge defensive liability. Very big flaws for a crmtre.

He can improve. But I dont think he can improve enough to be a career centre. IMO its much better to focus on his strengths and turn him into our very own Rapana or Ferguson style winger. Makes more sense tofocus on developing him in a position he's better suited to and has morepower grade experience in. Especially when Mansour needs to be replaced.

Fangs

Coach
Pretty disgusting when it mattered tonight. Over all had a decent game.

Very disappointing.

Flashstep

Juniors
Thought the game was great but as usual the refs continue to prove they’re f**ked, can’t imagine how pissed I’d be if I was a raiders fan

franklin2323

Immortal
Where do you get Naden costing us 1/4 of Blake?

We are paying Blake money not to be here. More than a quarter of his wage most likely which ismoney we arent saving by not having him. Then you have the minimum wage payment Naden is on and the match payments from last years games.

If we had Blake hes on ~$500k. Without him Naden would be taking ~$300k at minimum between Blakes payments and his own.

Personally I don't think Naden has a very long future at centre at all. Its wing or a very limited centre career for him IMO. He's just too far off the pace defensively and has zero ballplaying skills which effectively means you have a centre whose winger is wasted and a huge defensive liability. Very big flaws for a crmtre.

He can improve. But I dont think he can improve enough to be a career centre. IMO its much better to focus on his strengths and turn him into our very own Rapana or Ferguson style winger. Makes more sense tofocus on developing him in a position he's better suited to and has morepower grade experience in. Especially when Mansour needs to be replaced.

Blake was playing wing his 1st year of FG so we aren't to know if Blake was any better but improved.

I have said it before I don't think we get Api without releasing Blake or DWZ. If we can add some solid players even if for depth then the squad is stronger

mxlegend99

Referee
Blake was playing wing his 1st year of FG so we aren't to know if Blake was any better but improved.

I have said it before I don't think we get Api without releasing Blake or DWZ. If we can add some solid players even if for depth then the squad is stronger
Yeah its not like RCG and Maloney freed up much space. Considering we are now looking at centres it's f**king absurd to pick Blakes money as the reason we got Korisau.

All keeping him would have done is reduce the importance of another centre. It had no bearing on needing a hooker.

We created more holes in our squad we keep failing to fill.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah its not like RCG and Maloney freed up much space. Considering we are now looking at centres it's f**king absurd to pick Blakes money as the reason we got Korisau.

All keeping him would have done is reduce the importance of another centre. It had no bearing on needing a hooker.

We created more holes in our squad we keep failing to fill.

Wasn't Maloney going counted in the cap? Api wouldn't of been still available when RCG was got rid of.

mxlegend99

Referee
Wasn't Maloney going counted in the cap? Api wouldn't of been still available when RCG was got rid of.
Weknew what players were going weeks or months before releasing them. In the case of Jimmy it was years before it happened.

Finalising these things after the fact doesn't change our ability to sign people. Clubs sign players and offload others later all the time.

With us it wouldn't have been reactionary to the signing since these guys were gone either way.

franklin2323

Immortal
Weknew what players were going weeks or months before releasing them. In the case of Jimmy it was years before it happened.

Finalising these things after the fact doesn't change our ability to sign people. Clubs sign players and offload others later all the time.

With us it wouldn't have been reactionary to the signing since these guys were gone either way.

With the exception of to clear space for Maloney when have we ever done that?

Takes both parties to agree. What if RCG said I will go but then backed out? Dumb way to do it like that

mxlegend99

Referee
With the exception of to clear space for Maloney when have we ever done that?

Takes both parties to agree. What if RCG said I will go but then backed out? Dumb way to do it like that
We did it with our entire roster for 2020. Spending more than the cap was.

We did it to fit Maloney in initially. When the TPA was rejected we quickly moved Latu on.

Roosters had great success doing it with Cronk then letting Pearce go. Smarter way of doing it then releasing everyone. Missing out on signing their replacements and having weakened position(s) in your roster that was already an issue.

We released our 2 best outside backs... only to try signing replacements we keep missing out on. While tge 2outaide backs that we needed to upgrade are still here and at the rate we're going will be part ofour top 17 again.

Kilkenny

Coach
We could have kept all of the players we have released and been cap compliant in 2020.

May have struggled to keep or upgrade some of the younger emerging players but we could have kept DWZ, Blake, RCG and Maloney and been cap compliant.

I am comfortable with all of the above moving on for one reason or another but it was not about the salary cap. We could have opted to keep them and just accept it would have been difficult to retain To’o, Burns, Leniu, and a host of other younger players.

Latest posts