What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Beau?

But really I see Arrow as an odd signing unless we let Nrown go. Or if Jumping Jai has mobility to take Maus spot. Otherwise we go from being too light on middles, to too heavy

Or Evans spot is under threat. With RCG / Paulo, we have the big bodies covered (so the need for Evan reduces) while Arrow / Nrown give us mobility / line speed.

Arrow / Nrown could either play “prop”.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I doubt he has the fitness or the lateral movement to. I suppose if he can prove to cover it technically, we can carry Taka on bench to spell Decore.
I guess the other factor is signing Arrow now puts a target on Nrown to perform leading up to his new contract
Do we really want him to perform? It'll only push his price up.

84 Baby

Referee
Or Evans spot is under threat. With RCG / Paulo, we have the big bodies covered (so the need for Evan reduces) while Arrow / Nrown give us mobility / line speed.

Arrow / Nrown could either play “prop”.
Still doesn’t cover our need for an edge player though

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So if we did sign Arrow (yes unlikely), we may still need to sign an edge forward.

Would Lawrence be an option on a cheap one year deal (talk is he only wants $150k or so)?

Yeah he is getting on, and attack isn’t the greatest, however he adds experience to the side and he is still very good defensively. Plus with Blake on that side there is less of the need for an attacking player.

Obviously not the best option, but it’s not the worse option, it’s not like scoring points is an issue but defence is.

Additionally we massively strengthen our middle, where most the action defensively/offensively starts from.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Honestly I don’t think Lawrence covers our edge need either. Decore/Arrow would be better there than Lawrence now.

Why? Defending on an edge is a lot different then the middle.

Nrown / Arrow have never played on the edge and probably aren’t mobile enough, even if they appear mobile for the middle.

Additionally why wouId you move Arrow / Nrown to weaken the middle?

What do you want from our edge? Yes attacking ability, and with the Blake twins already there, there is already a lot of attacking ability. Additionally I am sure Lawrence probably can run an attacking line to run of Moses.

Of course if we can afford Frizzell / Matterson that’s a better option.....

84 Baby

Referee
Why? Defending on an edge is a lot different then the middle.

Nrown / Arrow have never played on the edge and probably aren’t mobile enough, even if they appear mobile for the middle.

Additionally why wouId you move Arrow / Nrown to weaken the middle?

What do you want from our edge? Yes attacking ability, and with the Blake twins already there, there is already a lot of attacking ability. Additionally I am sure Lawrence probably can run an attacking line to run of Moses.

Of course if we can afford Frizzell / Matterson that’s a better option.....
I don’t think Lawrence is that much better laterally mobility wise anymore than Arrow, let alone Decore. Plus correct me if I’m wrong but Lawrence plays left edge? Even what little he brings in attack is probably less effective on right.
Lawrence doesn’t get us any closer to a premiership than Decore, so if the choice was between those 2, we’d have to go with the guy who may be more likely in the future.
If it is Lawrence I’ll be giving @emjaycee a lot of shit!

84 Baby

Referee
Lawrence will only just turn 31 in 10 days. He wouldn’t be a bad buy for a couple of years. Good defender, still plenty of pace, has played 240 NRL games. Wouldn’t cost the earth.

I wouldn’t say no at the right price.
That price for mine is he’s willing to not be top 17. He’d be battling with Taka IMO

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don’t think Lawrence is that much better laterally mobility wise anymore than Arrow, let alone Decore. Plus correct me if I’m wrong but Lawrence plays left edge? Even what little he brings in attack is probably less effective on right.
Lawrence doesn’t get us any closer to a premiership than Decore, so if the choice was between those 2, we’d have to go with the guy who may be more likely in the future.
If it is Lawrence I’ll be giving @emjaycee a lot of shit!

There isnt any suggestion it’s emc signing.

That’s the thing Lawrence could get us closer to a premiership if it means we strengthen the middle to have one of the better middle rotations and yet still have some experience at edge forward .....who is fairly strong defensively....

Anyhow Arrow is defending at 93% in middle, on the edge that could cause problems.

And to roughly compare Lawrence to Jackson (who I like), Frizzell. Jackson is defending at 94% with 7.92 m per run. Frizell is 94% 9.4 m per run. Lawrence is defending at 96% at 8.66 per run. Obviously just a rough comparison, but shows he wouId still offer enough.

84 Baby

Referee
There isnt any suggestion it’s emc signing.

That’s the thing Lawrence could get us closer to a premiership if it means we strengthen the middle to have one of the better middle rotations and yet still have some experience at edge forward .....who is fairly strong defensively....

Anyhow Arrow is defending at 93% in middle, on the edge that could cause problems.

And to roughly compare Lawrence to Jackson (who I like), Frizzell. Jackson is defending at 94% with 7.92 m per run. Frizell is 94% 9.4 m per run. Lawrence is defending at 96% at 8.66 per run. Obviously just a rough comparison, but shows he wouId still offer enough.
Id take Lawrence in the squad, I just think, even with the dollar savings he could provide to strengthen other areas, the opportunity cost of having him starting is more than he provides. His experience barely benefits us. He’s played less finals games than a lot of our players and IMO he wouldn’t provide type of leadership that we need. He’d bring a lot of same old, same old.

Is the “at metres per run” their running metres or the opponents? If it’s opponents, where’d you find that? Another stat I think we should be keeping is inside/outside defender tackle efficiency for each player. @Poupou Escobar can you get on that?