What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL sent video of alleged Nelson Asofa-Solomona in Bali brawl

Walt Flanigan

Referee
lol so I've got two stories in my FB feed right after each other. One is NRL page saying he's suspended for 3 games and the other is Fox Sports saying he's free to play......which is it?

*edit* Got it. Free to play Round 1 of NRL but suspended for all the Tests.

kdalymc

Bench
All this crap from Anasta and the like awwwwwee he's a top bloke aewww they were just chilling. Who's gives a f**k. (Even tho he may have done nothing 'wrong') I've been king hit, stomped, punched on with many a good bloke...
Last year my mate lost feeling in his jaw from a bunch of moremans- go to church Sunday, kick ya face in Monday...

Fox Sports got it wrong again. Following is from the NRL's website -

Asofa-Solomona suspended for three matches over Bali incident

Author: Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp: Fri 18 Oct 2019, 03:09 PM

Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been suspended for three matches and slapped with a suspended $15,000 fine following a late-night brawl outside a nightclub in Bali last weekend.

The NRL handed down its judgment on Friday afternoon following an investigation by the NRL Integrity Unit and consultation with his club. Asofa-Solomona will consequently miss New Zealand's three end-of-season Tests but will be available for Melbourne in round one next year.

The NRL said the sanctions take into account evidence which showed a degree of provocation contributed to the incident, Asofa-Solomona’s cooperation with the NRL investigation and the remorse he has shown.

In a club statement, Asofa-Solomona expressed his regret over the incident.

“At the time, I was worried about Suli, who had earlier been coward-punched in an unprovoked attack,” Asofa-Solomona said.

“Suli is one of my closest friends and obviously I would never have reacted that way had he not been assaulted earlier inside the bar.

“The last few days have been very tough obviously, but the support I have had from the Club, the RLPA, my family, friends and the fans has been incredible.

“Looking back on this incident, could this have been handled differently? Yes, I could have picked up Suli and got out of there. Unfortunately, that is not the way this played out.

“I understand that as a Storm and NRL player, I’m a role model for kids and I want them to know that meeting violence with violence is not the solution.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg addressed the incident earlier in the week.

"Make good decisions, and if you're in a situation like that where there is trouble brewing, walk away," Greenberg said.

"Take yourself out of that situation. And make very smart choices particularly late at night. That is my advice to players.

"I think every single player who puts on an NRL jersey is acutely aware of their responsibility. We can't have a repeat of what we saw last year.

"Players will know if they make poor errors of judgment or poor decisions there is going to be significant consequences for those. And I think every player is acutely aware of that."

Headless Chook

Juniors
Ok, so it’s cool then to go apeshit and swing em in a rabid frenzy like there’s no tomorrow while off your face in another country as long as you’re sticking up for a mate and show a bit of remorse after the fact. Fair enough.

Would an Andrew Fifita or a Mitchell Pearce have been afforded the same leniency in the exact same circumstances if it was them instead?

Anyway, a big happy off-season to one and all.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The NRL is an ass.

The NRL should not have any jurisdiction over any International matches whatsoever.

If I got done for DUI in Bali, would I lose my Australian licence?

footy75

Bench
If it's true that some dickhead glassed suli for no reason..then Nelson did the right thing ...probably some hero smart arse hater.

But if the Storm players were being dickheads and had anything to do with it all t hen he should of got his mates and got out of there.

betcats

Referee
What would you have done after seeing your mate knocked unconscious?

How long after Suli got king hit was that? Suli was inside the club up a level when it happened. I would help my friend straight away when it was happening i wouldn’t go out on the street and get in another altercation, especially not if i had a profile and doubly especially not in that place where everyone is so drunk and security and police are minimal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How long after Suli got king hit was that? Suli was inside the club up a level when it happened. I would help my friend straight away when it was happening i wouldn’t go out on the street and get in another altercation, especially not if i had a profile and doubly especially not in that place where everyone is so drunk and security and police are minimal.

certainly looked more like Revenge than protection but no one ever accused RL props of being smart lol.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

From what I gather all the Storm players left and were then followed and then attacked again

are you aware that after leaving peacefully NAS was the surrounded by the mob, some wielding broken bottles.

I suggest you walk-in someone else’s shoes before still in judgement

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
I’m sure Todd would have something different to say if it was him that was hit from behind and NAS did nothing