What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

boardlumps62

Juniors
Maybe they're just building suspense, waiting for that perfect time to announce a huge signing..........sometging like this...........

We are excited to announce that Isaac Luke will join the club for 2020. Isaac is a NZ International and almost premiership winner with the Rabbitoes. Isaac will bring a wealth of experience to our club and mentor to our younger players. Paul McGregor was excited to learn that such a journeyman would come to the club he stated "With Isaac's experience, its another player I don't have to coach and we need that type now that Lats has retired". Isaac will join us for pre-season on the (insert date here).
Yes but is he the joker that every team needs for those dull training days. We need to replace Lats remember I feel another major signing announcement imminent.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Season review | Jackson Ford
Jackson Ford achieved a childhood dream of playing for the Dragons this season after earning a place in the first grade squad following a four-try haul in the Canterbury Cup. Ford was one of the stars of the successful Dragons Canterbury Cup campaign this year and reflects on both his NRL and Canterbury Cup seasons.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/24/season-review--jackson-ford/
I personally think JACKSON FORD would be a better player at centre than the two incumbents slowfai, and Aintkin. ........

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes but is he the joker that every team needs for those dull training days. We need to replace Lats remember I feel another major signing announcement imminent.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there won’t be any significant major signings this off season. If SGI do attract anyone, it will be of the Pearson/Ravalawa mould.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I agree, but if we want a Lomax / Ford centre combination, we need Millward to off-load Aitken and Lafai.
1 Sailor
2Pearson
3Lomax
4 ford
5 Saab
6 hunt
7 Norman
8 Vaughan
9 Mcinnes
10 Lawrie
11Sims
12 Frizell
13 De Belin or Luilua
14 luilua
15 kerr
16 Timm
17 Masters
18 Clune
That's my dream team for round one I'm sure Mary's views are completely different James Graham for one I'd have him assistant forwards coach but he will be playing I'm sure

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Probably see out the 2020 season with the players that are currently there and then hopefully get rid of the garbage in that off-season with the knowledge of a new coach who will attract some class replacements - hopefully.

George Dragon

Juniors
1 Sailor
2Pearson
3Lomax
4 ford
5 Saab
6 hunt
7 Norman
8 Vaughan
9 Mcinnes
10 Frizell
11Sims
13 DeBelin or
13Lawrie
14 luilua
15 kerr
16 Timm
17 Masters
18 Clune
That's my dream team for round one I'm sure Mary's views are completely different James Graham for one I'd have him assistant forwards coach but he will be playing I'm sure
A back 5 with a total of about 30 NRL games will get creamed.
Our edge defence is bad enough without playing with only one edge backrower.
Timm and Marsters are gone.

BLM01

First Grade
I personally think JACKSON FORD would be a better player at centre than the two incumbents slowfai, and Aintkin. ........
Sorry OD I disagree Ford is not a centre for 24/7...stop gap fill in maybe cause of injury during a game thats all but when he gets more experience defending and playing in 1st grade.
He could be a Host style replacement who maybe not with us in 2020
If Host stays he will have to fight from reggies to get back in

possm

Coach
Probably see out the 2020 season with the players that are currently there and then hopefully get rid of the garbage in that off-season with the knowledge of a new coach who will attract some class replacements - hopefully.
Another wasted season with a team of some inept players Millward has signed long term that other clubs do not want. My dream team - within our cap is:
1. Holmes
2. Saab - he is a left side winger
3. Lomax - Aitken gone or in reserve grade
4. Ford - Lafai gone or in reserve grade
5. Pereira, Pearson or Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham - while he is fit
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Leilua / De Belin

14. Kerr
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Sailor or a forward

Yes only one new signing in my 17 but a very important one. Holmes would change the dynamics of our backline. This change along with a revamped centre pairing and hopefully better prepared wingers, should see our backline compete on an even keel with most teams.

At this stage Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Host and probably new signing Luke will be in the reserve grade side. Handy backup players if required.

I'm expecting the departure of Field, Maranta, Masters and Timm to be officially announced soon. The departure of Widdop, Latimore and Allgood already made official. So, unless we off-load another high priced player, SGI will struggle to sign Holmes.

Hunt seems to be the most likely to me and if this happens, Sailor to 6 and Norman to 7. Norman to run the team.

Hunt is a brilliant player when our forward pack is on top and when his mind is in the right place. At close to 1m dollars a season, I'd rather have Holmes at fullback then Hunt at halfback.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Another wasted season with a team of some inept players Millward has signed long term that other clubs do not want. My dream team - within our cap is:
1. Holmes
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Leilua / De Belin

14. Kerr
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Sailor or a forward

Yes only one new signing in my 17 but a very important one. Holmes would change the dynamics of our backline. This change along with a revamped centre pairing and hopefully better prepared wingers, should see our backline compete on an even keel with most teams.

At this stage Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Host and probably new signing Luke will be in the reserve grade side.

I'm expecting the departure of Field, Maranta, Masters and Timm to be officially announced soon. The departure of Widdop, Latimore and Allgood already made official. So, unless we off-load another high priced player, SGI will struggle to sign Holmes. Hunt seems to be the most likely and if this happens, Sailor to 6 and Norman to 7. Norman to run the team.

Hunt is a brilliant player when our forward pack is on top and when his mind is in the right place. At close to 1m dollars, I'd rather have Holmes at fullback then Hunt at halfback.

Holmes was ALWAYS going home to North Queensland once his NFL junket failed. At least you described it as a “dream”.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Our backline, as it stands at the moment, with no new signings and the coach we have is...

1.Dufty or Sailor
2.Saab
3.Aitken
4.Lafai
5.Lomax

Deal with it...

Still say Lomax will be given “first shot” at fullback. Remember, he has publicly announced that this is his preferred position. Sailor will be either on the wing (which I reckon will happen) or on the bench as a “triangle” utility.

Walpole

Juniors
Still say Lomax will be given “first shot” at fullback. Remember, he has publicly announced that this is his preferred position. Sailor will be either on the wing (which I reckon will happen) or on the bench as a “triangle” utility.
You might be right. I suspect Sailor will be there somewhere. At 80kg though, he'll get man-handled by opponents if they throw him on the wing.

Gareth67

First Grade
1. Holmes
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Leilua / De Belin

14. Kerr
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Sailor or a forward

At this stage Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Host and probably new signing Luke will be in the reserve grade side.

I'm expecting the departure of Field, Maranta, Masters and Timm to be officially announced soon. The departure of Widdop, Latimore and Allgood already made official. So, unless we off-load another high priced player, SGI will struggle to sign Holmes. Hunt seems to be the most likely and if this happens, Sailor to 6 and Norman to 7. Norman to run the team.

Hunt is a brilliant player when our forward pack is on top and when his mind is in the right place. At close to 1m dollars, I'd rather have Holmes at fullback then Hunt at halfback.

Sorry possum old mate , but my mail on Holmes is that he will not be coming to the mighty Dragons nor to those Cartwrights in North Queensland , but wait for it . . . has signed a contract to play in a Hollywood blockbuster alongside Sylvester Stallone and Arnie Swatznegger called - ‘ We were once Heroes ‘ .

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

2019 squad: Euan Aitken (2020), Mitchell Allgood (2019), Jack de Belin (2020), Matt Dufty (2021), Tyson Frizell (2020), Jai Field (2019), James Graham (2020), Jacob Host (2020), Ben Hunt (2022/PO), Patrick Kaufusi (2019), Josh Kerr (2019), Tim Lafai (2020), Jeremy Latimore (2019), Blake Lawrie (2022), Luciano Leilua (2020), Zac Lomax (2020), Lachlan Maranta (2019), Cameron McInnes (2021), Darren Nicholls (2019), Corey Norman (2021), Jonus Pearson (2020), Jordan Pereira (2020), Mikaele Ravalawa (2020), Reece Robson (2019), Tristan Sailor (2019), Korbin Sims (2021), Tariq Sims (2022), Lachlan Timm (2019/CO), Paul Vaughan (2021/PO), Gareth Widdop (2019)

Losses for 2020: Gareth Widdop (Warrington), Steven Marsters (Rabbitohs), Reece Robson (Cowboys), Jeremy Latimore (retired)

Coach: Paul McGregor (2021)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/a64bdfdff59c35ab9380fd97a77ea1af

BLM01

First Grade
DRAGONS

2019 squad: Euan Aitken (2020), Mitchell Allgood (2019), Jack de Belin (2020), Matt Dufty (2021), Tyson Frizell (2020), Jai Field (2019), James Graham (2020), Jacob Host (2020), Ben Hunt (2022/PO), Patrick Kaufusi (2019), Josh Kerr (2019), Tim Lafai (2020), Jeremy Latimore (2019), Blake Lawrie (2022), Luciano Leilua (2020), Zac Lomax (2020), Lachlan Maranta (2019), Cameron McInnes (2021), Darren Nicholls (2019), Corey Norman (2021), Jonus Pearson (2020), Jordan Pereira (2020), Mikaele Ravalawa (2020), Reece Robson (2019), Tristan Sailor (2019), Korbin Sims (2021), Tariq Sims (2022), Lachlan Timm (2019/CO), Paul Vaughan (2021/PO), Gareth Widdop (2019)

Losses for 2020: Gareth Widdop (Warrington), Steven Marsters (Rabbitohs), Reece Robson (Cowboys), Jeremy Latimore (retired)

Coach: Paul McGregor (2021)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/a64bdfdff59c35ab9380fd97a77ea1af
Well FOX are a little behind the times. PK and Allgood were sent packing weeks ago.
Watch that list above change over the next few weeks.