What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

Peter Quinn

Juniors
and the surgery came after busting a shoulder that had been reconstructed twice before.....is it so hard?
Well then, the surgery was called for. The friggen infection wasn't. Are you saying everyone knew he'd get an infection and or all shoulder surgeries end up infected like that. Go back to bed.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Great player who I’ve enjoyed watching over the years. One of those players you’d tune in to a game just to watch. NRL will be lessor for his retirement.

Had a mate who reckoned he was overrated.
I made him sit down and watch a game and every time Sam did something I said “Sam”

after about 40 instances he acknowledged the fact that he was wrong.
Most non Souths fans wouldn’t watch their games close enough to see all the stuff he did.
All those “1% plays” the average fan doesn’t even notice. It was always Sam doing it. Hs ability to read the play and clean up stuff or shut down what others didn’t see coming was amazing

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Well then, the surgery was called for. The friggen infection wasn't. Are you saying everyone knew he'd get an infection and or all shoulder surgeries end up infected like that. Go back to bed.

No mate. Didn’t you know it’s all a scam. Sam can keep playing it’s just been a con job so detailed that even the hospital staff were in on it as he was on a life saving drip.
Sydney’s leading doctors spent countless hours attending to the bloke in hospital....all part of a cunning plan

Pommy

Coach
f**k the salary cap.

Sam has been huge for League..

Pay the man.

Sour merkins.

It is not as if Souths can just find another like him.

So many haters. Bloke broke his body for us to watch.

Honestly I get the feeling half of the haters are just bitter their team couldn’t attract a player as good as him to begin with.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
No mate. Didn’t you know it’s all a scam. Sam can keep playing it’s just been a con job so detailed that even the hospital staff were in on it as he was on a life saving drip.
Sydney’s leading doctors spent countless hours attending to the bloke in hospital....all part of a cunning plan
OMG. Really? Well, I think this is a case for Columbo to investigate properly.

Well the NRL seemed to think so for Manly and Parra, along with the Dogs reportedly trying it on with Kieran Foran.

Plus then there’s the Tigers who have been waiting over 2 months for an answer on Matulino, does anybody seriously think Souths will still be waiting for an answer after Christmas?

This article published today in the Sydney Morning Herald has a few salient points about medical retirements, and the criteria used by the NRL -

Under NRL rules, the salary cap auditor will consider the following three points before making a cap exemption ruling:

• “The Player, at the time of termination, was diagnosed as medically unfit to currently continue to train and play elite level contact sport and was medically unable to ever return to play elite level contact sport due to the current level of disability or the significant risk of further disabling injury as a result of playing elite level contract sport;

• "The Player, had no similar injury or medical condition to that area of the body that either has or could reasonably be predicted medically to lead to a degenerative condition of that area of the body prior to signing his last NRL contract or if the players contract was signed more than 24 months previous within the last 24 months unless an unrelated single event has resulted in rapid deterioration of this condition; and

• A single event that caused the injury could be identified.”

As to the time frame, the same article says -

The NRL will take up to a month to examine Sam Burgess’ medical history on a shoulder that was first operated on almost a decade ago before making a $3 million-plus salary cap call that will set a precedent for future injury-enforced retirements.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Had a mate who reckoned he was overrated.
I made him sit down and watch a game and every time Sam did something I said “Sam”

after about 40 instances he acknowledged the fact that he was wrong.
Most non Souths fans wouldn’t watch their games close enough to see all the stuff he did.
All those “1% plays” the average fan doesn’t even notice. It was always Sam doing it. Hs ability to read the play and clean up stuff or shut down what others didn’t see coming was amazing
His ability to get a penalty off a blatant dropped ball was even more amazing.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Flood gates opened.
Inglis > Sam > Gillo >>>> Darius, Bird, Matulino, Cam Smith (after he extends until he will be 55), Ben Hunt (hopefully)

Springs09

Juniors
f**k the salary cap.

Pay the man.

Sour merkins.

f**k off. Bloke broke his body so he could play the sport he loved and get paid millions for it. He didn't make a big sacrifice where he didn't really want to play because it hurt but so many kids loved watching him so he gritted his teeth and bore it for the happiness of the children.

I don't get the ridiculous celebrity worship people have where they think already overprivileged players should get paid millions more for doing nothing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Your right pay Greenburg more.....

Pay the Board.

Players, so very over rated.

Forgive me for wanting the bloke to get paid...

George the parasite approves.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Of the millions spent playing what is just a game.

Pay the players, and look after them, when they cannot be smashed anymore.

Or pay a board member...............................

Noise

Coach
f**k the salary cap.

Pay the man.

Sour merkins.

f**k the cap? Because he was a good player? Which other players should we not worry about the cap for?
No one is saying he shouldn’t get paid you goose. Just that it should be on the cap.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ok sure.

I just think a bloke who is not playing does not count.

I think ex players should be looked after.

That is just me.

Valheru

Coach
As a roosters fan I hate souffs, can't stand them but I don't think they should have to pay him any money and if they do, I don't think it should count towards their cap.

Yes I know the point is that clubs in similar situations have had to have the money count under their cap so it is the rule that needs to change.

I also understand we don't want a situation where clubs sign players for years longer than they intend to play so they can get a lump sum at the end that's not included in the cap. I don't think anyone believes that souffs have done that here, it is pretty obvious Sam is a shell of the player he was 5 years ago.

Tiger5150

Bench

Slowly, and simply.......

Was that surgery a result of him busting his left shoulder? The same shoulder that had been reconstructed twice?