What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule changes you'd like to see for next season

firechild

First Grade
How about none? Can we just stop messing with the game. There are plenty of things that could be better but the NRL have a habit of making changes trying to make the game better only to have them blow up. Besides the 40-20 and the change around corner posts, few have had a really positive impact on the game.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah, nah.
As you say, the roots of our game are in rugby union, not gridiron.
It would make for fewer close games.

So you'd be ok with a field goal being the same as a conversion?
Why not simply raise a tries value to 5 points instead, considering your argument?

Yes: I would be okay with field goals being worth as much as conversions (ie 1 point) because I think conversions are extremely boring and 1 on none sucks.
No: don't raise tries to 5 points instead of the 3 point conversion I have suggested. My idea of 7 on 7 for 3 points would be very exciting to watch. That is what the game needs. More excitement.

MKCS

Juniors
Nothing too serious but I think the coaches should be able to do a coaches call similar to the NFL. Refs regularly get things wrong and it's cost many teams this year.

KOMORI

Juniors
How about none? Can we just stop messing with the game. There are plenty of things that could be better but the NRL have a habit of making changes trying to make the game better only to have them blow up. Besides the 40-20 and the change around corner posts, few have had a really positive impact on the game.

I’d go even further and say simplify the current rules even more. I’ve played and watched the game for 40 years, and am mystified as to what constitutes a ruck penalty these days. Seemingly identical tackles are randomly penalised, and seemingly obvious penalties are let go purely at the referees discretion... and this is allowing referees FAR too much influence on the game and the momentum of teams..

Compounding this is the way they are then able to put this down to “discipline”, and happily blame the players, when in fact both teams are “guilty”. What I’m getting at is that they essentially victim blame, when both teams are either right or wrong at the same time, according to their very loose interpretations..

I’d go even further and say simplify the current rules even more. I’ve played and watched the game for 40 years, and am mystified as to what constitutes a ruck penalty these days. Seemingly identical tackles are randomly penalised, and seemingly obvious penalties are let go purely at the referees discretion... and this is allowing referees FAR too much influence on the game and the momentum of teams..

Compounding this is the way they are then able to put this down to “discipline”, and happily blame the players, when in fact both teams are “guilty”. What I’m getting at is that they essentially victim blame, when both teams are either right or wrong at the same time, according to their very loose interpretations..
The referee is God, when he/she crosses the white line divine power comes upon them, they are always right, especially when they're wrong.

Springs09

Juniors

Half the suggested rule changes here are about reversing the f**kwit changes the NRL made in the first place like 7 tackles, golden point and 2 refs.

firechild

First Grade
Half the suggested rule changes here are about reversing the f**kwit changes the NRL made in the first place like 7 tackles, golden point and 2 refs.
Don't disagree at all. But you just know the NRL will find a way to make things worse.

Lambretta

First Grade
I'd be happy not to change any rules. Just enforce them.
Not play the ball properly? Penalty
Repeatedly offside? Penalty
Hold on too long in a tackle? Penalty
Flop in late? Penalty

Yeah we will get a bunch of penalties in the first few weeks but they will settle down and we will start to get more attractive football.

...Oh wait, we tried that and Gould and Johns decided that "a little bit offside" didn't matter and abused the refs until Greenberg caved.

Its amazing isn't it?

For years, the morons have been screaming "clean up the ruck" and "get em onside"...... so they tried to and the morons whinged "there's too many penalties, I came to watch footy, not referees"

f**k me dead.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
great ideas there, I

3 Currently if a ball is dropped in any direction the refs call knock on. Very rarely do they call knock back. I'd like to see knock ons only called if the ball lands in front of the players feet. Bobbles that hit a defense player and are regathered and balls that land in line with or behind the players feet should be play on.

yes indeed

ACTPanthers

Bench
When the ball touches the try line or in-goal area after being kicked it's a 7 tackle set starting on the 20m line.

This is the dumbest f**king idea... Like, I don’t even know where to begin with describing the amount of utter stupidity in it. *Slow Clap* Well done if you’re actually trying to come across as a complete and utter drop kick

This is the dumbest f**king idea... Like, I don’t even know where to begin with describing the amount of utter stupidity in it. *Slow Clap* Well done if you’re actually trying to come across as a complete and utter drop kick
Not much different to now, my suggestion. This would help the GB Lions.

Chimp

Juniors
Reduce interchange numbers and get rid of rolling substitutions. Once you've done your stint and are replaced, you don't come back on.

Latest posts