What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
Hi guys,

This is part of a re-structure of our forum that I decided to do for 2020 onwards. The aim to help make our forum more organised, allow better ease of access and also give it a freshen up.

This 2020 Rumours, Signings and News thread will replace the old rumours thread so if you can, please refrain from posting in that thread and do it in here instead. Feel free to post about any of this from rumours, signings and official news, just like the old thread.

However, please note that we will now have a separate thread for injuries and suspensions.

Cheers.

callmack1

Staff member
I'll get the ball rolling by saying it's looking increasing likely that Matterson will go to Parra. I can't see us getting him.

handyman2190

Bench
Im a little peeved, the tigers and broncos had the forsight and brains to medically retire and put the evidence and paperwork in advance,as it takes about a month for the decision ,if it can be taken from the cap, so the club can plan and buy,we on the other hand have waited and are running last. No players have been linked with us, we have 3 big shoes to fill and no rumour no nothing,im not happy,unless we try or purchase quality next season is a wipeout, we will be lucky to go past 12th

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Im a little peeved, the tigers and broncos had the forsight and brains to medically retire and put the evidence and paperwork in advance,as it takes about a month for the decision ,if it can be taken from the cap, so the club can plan and buy,we on the other hand have waited and are running last. No players have been linked with us, we have 3 big shoes to fill and no rumour no nothing,im not happy,unless we try or purchase quality next season is a wipeout, we will be lucky to go past 12th

South supporters say this every year. I understand we expect success every year but imagine how teams like the titans feel? If there was still any chance that Sam could play I would’ve played him, he’s a great player and a leader of our pack. I’ve heard Matterson, Mitchell and Fifita are all linked with us but at the end of the day all they are, are rumours. Don’t get frustrated because the sitting and waiting game is ideal in this situation.

Spot On

Coach
Are you blokes going to give Latrell his cool million now the Dogs have come to their senses??? You need centres.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Newsflash::
Roosters have just pulled all offers off the table for Latrell Mitchell. Now the question of why must be asked. Any clues anyone?

callmack1

Staff member
So the Roosters have also withdrawn their offer of a contract extension today which could open the door for a rival like us to swoop.

Also, I read a Telegraph headline just now that said we're unwilling to match Cody's high asking price but couldn't read it as it went to pay wall.

WT2K

Juniors
So the Roosters have also withdrawn their offer of a contract extension today which could open the door for a rival like us to swoop.

Also, I read a Telegraph headline just now that said we're unwilling to match Cody's high asking price but couldn't read it as it went to pay wall.
Apologies for jumping on your forum...
Thought you guys might want to read the article.

Former NSW five-eighth Cody Walker may be forced out of Redfern with his asking price considerably higher than what South Sydney are prepared to pay.

Walker’s management team believe their client is worth between $850,000 and $900,000 a year – that’s around $200,000 to $250,000 more than the Rabbitohs plan to offer him.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Souths players and management respect Walker – they claim he is “immensely popular” – and want him to stay.

But the club has a set price in mind – around $650,000 a season – and won’t budge too far from that figure.

No official offer has yet been lodged by Souths with Walker not off contract until the end of next season.

It is understood Souths and Walker’s manager, Matt Rose, have opened preliminary discussions.

While being respectful to Walker, the Rabbitohs have made it clear the club will not pay $850,000 to $900,000 a season for the PM XIII and Country five-eighth.

The $200,000 to $250,000 a-year gap between Walker’s asking price and Souths offer may be difficult to overcome in negotiations.

Souths would look to play gun utility Adam Doueihi at five-eighth should Walker leave. Doueihi transformed into a super fullback throughout last season.

Gold Coast continues to be linked with Walker but neither Rose nor the Titans have confirmed any official contact.

Walker was South Sydney’s stand-in captain last season when Sam Burgess was unavailable. With Burgess and John Sutton now retired, Walker would be a strong option to lead Souths in 2020.

With the NRL’s November 1 deadline having now passed, clubs can make formal offers to players who come off contract after next season.

Walker has a strong start and finish to the 2019 season but his confidence appeared to fall when dropped from the NSW side after Origin I.

If Walker can secure the contract he wants, Souths would reluctantly allow him to walk way. Should Walker sign a big money deal elsewhere for 2021, there could be a push for the player to leave immediately.

Walker turns 30 in January with this expected to be his final contract in the NRL.

On October 14, The Daily Telegraph reported that Walker was hoping for “a rich three-year contract extension at South Sydney worth $2.55 million.”

The story also stated that two rival clubs would be prepared to pay as much as $900,000 a season to lure the star from Souths.

In the report, Rose said: “We are working with Souths about Cody extending (his contract). It’s a club where Cody loves playing and loves playing under Wayne Bennett. He is comfortable at the club.

“You could say we are working together on a deal that both parties are comfortable with. He would like to finish his career at the club but we still have to work through some things.

“Cody is desperate to win a premiership but things can change. You know what things are like in this world.”

Souths remain in a recruitment and retention holding pattern until the NRL determine whether the retirement of Burgess can be shifted from the club’s salary cap. The Rabbitohs’ application has been lodged.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Bennett really wanted Troy Dargon at the club. I know very little about him, but I've got a feeling I'm soon gonna find out something.

Spot On

Coach
Apologies for jumping on your forum...
Thought you guys might want to read the article.

Former NSW five-eighth Cody Walker may be forced out of Redfern with his asking price considerably higher than what South Sydney are prepared to pay.

Walker’s management team believe their client is worth between $850,000 and $900,000 a year – that’s around $200,000 to $250,000 more than the Rabbitohs plan to offer him.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Souths players and management respect Walker – they claim he is “immensely popular” – and want him to stay.

But the club has a set price in mind – around $650,000 a season – and won’t budge too far from that figure.

No official offer has yet been lodged by Souths with Walker not off contract until the end of next season.

It is understood Souths and Walker’s manager, Matt Rose, have opened preliminary discussions.

While being respectful to Walker, the Rabbitohs have made it clear the club will not pay $850,000 to $900,000 a season for the PM XIII and Country five-eighth.

The $200,000 to $250,000 a-year gap between Walker’s asking price and Souths offer may be difficult to overcome in negotiations.

Souths would look to play gun utility Adam Doueihi at five-eighth should Walker leave. Doueihi transformed into a super fullback throughout last season.

Gold Coast continues to be linked with Walker but neither Rose nor the Titans have confirmed any official contact.

Walker was South Sydney’s stand-in captain last season when Sam Burgess was unavailable. With Burgess and John Sutton now retired, Walker would be a strong option to lead Souths in 2020.

With the NRL’s November 1 deadline having now passed, clubs can make formal offers to players who come off contract after next season.

Walker has a strong start and finish to the 2019 season but his confidence appeared to fall when dropped from the NSW side after Origin I.

If Walker can secure the contract he wants, Souths would reluctantly allow him to walk way. Should Walker sign a big money deal elsewhere for 2021, there could be a push for the player to leave immediately.

Walker turns 30 in January with this expected to be his final contract in the NRL.

On October 14, The Daily Telegraph reported that Walker was hoping for “a rich three-year contract extension at South Sydney worth $2.55 million.”

The story also stated that two rival clubs would be prepared to pay as much as $900,000 a season to lure the star from Souths.

In the report, Rose said: “We are working with Souths about Cody extending (his contract). It’s a club where Cody loves playing and loves playing under Wayne Bennett. He is comfortable at the club.

“You could say we are working together on a deal that both parties are comfortable with. He would like to finish his career at the club but we still have to work through some things.

“Cody is desperate to win a premiership but things can change. You know what things are like in this world.”

Souths remain in a recruitment and retention holding pattern until the NRL determine whether the retirement of Burgess can be shifted from the club’s salary cap. The Rabbitohs’ application has been lodged.

You give a winger/player like Gagai 750K - the others want their share. Mitchell can not sign for less than Dane freakin Gagai. What an insult.

This is going to be entertaining to say the least.

He may have farked himself over royally.

Advantage Uncle Nick.