What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bernard Sutton admits Roosters dudded thrice during Grand Final - according to Weidler

Lambretta

First Grade
Thank you!

I know all the f**kwit fans who constantly run down the refs think we can just bring in new refs - NSW Cup and the like, but refereeing numbers are a serious problem in local competitions. Many comps have 60 year old refs still trying to run around and there's no one coming up to replace them. Many of them have to do at least 2 games a week and run 2 more sidelines just to get abused every game. The things said on the sidelines to the refs are disgusting. They don't even let up on young kids who are trying to have a go reffing junior games.

I've been doing it the last 2 years. I'm 28 and still playing and the last thing I want to do after playing is run back out and ref the next game. One of our comps has 6 clubs and all 3 games are played at the one venue each week, 3 times this year I played for my club then ran back out to ref the next game. One week I got an anonymous letter in the mail saying I was a 'cheat' an 'embarrassment' and to cut it out lest I be 'publicly humiliated'. Now who the f**k is that geniused to send a threatening letter to a country referee?

Anyway all this abusive shit that trickles down to local A-grade through to U6s starts with our media personalities abusing the shit out of referees every week. They need to set an example for how fans should treat referees, but they don't because on slow-mo replay it's clear that the call was 50/50 but it didn't follow the narrative we want so lets bag the ref out.

I recently watched the 1985 Challenge Cup Final. Long held up as one of the great games of all time. Its on You Tube

A few minutes in, a knock on, ref blows a penalty for laying in the ruck.

Today we'd get an inquest from people screaming that the game has been destroyed. Then, the commentator said "ref has blown a penalty which is quickly taken and Hull are on the attack"

The callers called. They didn't give a million opinions on why the game was being ruined. It was a joy to watch.

I do boxing every week. After 30 minutes simple combinations become really hard. Fatigue plays a part. Mistakes will occur. Referees are not immune to this and nor should they be. We shouldn't expect it of them.

Its easy to criticise sitting at home. If people want to throw f**king barbs they should get out there and do. If they can't they can shut the f**k up.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Too bad these Roosters players couldn't overcome the adversity against Tonga aye

Tonga 1
James Tedesco 0
Latrell Mitchell 0
Boyd Cordner 0

Vee

First Grade
Thank you!

I know all the f**kwit fans who constantly run down the refs think we can just bring in new refs - NSW Cup and the like, but refereeing numbers are a serious problem in local competitions. Many comps have 60 year old refs still trying to run around and there's no one coming up to replace them. Many of them have to do at least 2 games a week and run 2 more sidelines just to get abused every game. The things said on the sidelines to the refs are disgusting. They don't even let up on young kids who are trying to have a go reffing junior games.

I've been doing it the last 2 years. I'm 28 and still playing and the last thing I want to do after playing is run back out and ref the next game. One of our comps has 6 clubs and all 3 games are played at the one venue each week, 3 times this year I played for my club then ran back out to ref the next game. One week I got an anonymous letter in the mail saying I was a 'cheat' an 'embarrassment' and to cut it out lest I be 'publicly humiliated'. Now who the f**k is that geniused to send a threatening letter to a country referee?

Anyway all this abusive shit that trickles down to local A-grade through to U6s starts with our media personalities abusing the shit out of referees every week. They need to set an example for how fans should treat referees, but they don't because on slow-mo replay it's clear that the call was 50/50 but it didn't follow the narrative we want so lets bag the ref out.
Thank you for your service.

GAZF

First Grade
The overall negative culture to the sport really does start and end with the media. If you could put a media blackout on an average fan and make them watch a round of games without commentary, you'd cut out over half of their criticisms over how the games went.

The refs are the easy target and cop it about as bad as anyone, and it affects their performance. I've seen uni grads start their careers under similar (but way less) pressure, and come up with mistakes you couldn't dream of - because they were so fixated on not making mistakes they had previously been called out on, to the point that they couldn't function in the role.

Canard

Immortal
It's time for the neutrals and raiders fans to get over it. Easts won despite copping bad ref calls. Time for opposition fans to admit it and move on.

I actually agree with the sentiment, but Roosters fans don't get to decide when people should stop talking about it.

Especially when it's the Roosters and their media buddies who keep kicking the story along.

Ikuvalu fan

Juniors
The roosters got the scrum feed after the charge down, so they were hardly dudded
In fact they scored not long after.

The fact that Robinson is crying about that and sent an email to Sutton shows he’s clutching at straws and is a massive whinger, he just won a premiership ffs

Also, Sutton saying the sin bin was harsh is not him admitting it was wrong
The fact we got the ball off the scrum feed after it hit the trainer was 100% according to the rules, it would've been a bigger travesty had the refs decided to ignore the rules and award the feed to Canberra. The argument Whitehead would've scored is null and void as they would've checked the late contact on Keary from Soliola. Both teams had calls for and against them, as is the same in any game of professional sport and all sport for that matter. The better team definitely won and anyone who claims we didn't deserve it is jealous and has bias clouding their judgement

Ikuvalu fan

Juniors
Bit of a stretch to try and suggest they got dudded 3 times in that game.

Firstly, the sin-bin might have been harsh but he tackled the player without the ball in a try scoring opportunity that had been a sin-bin all year.

Secondly, the charge down they got the ball back anyway when it hit their trainer who really had no reason to be there in the first place. If it were a penalty they would have either gone for goal and ended up getting 2 points instead of the 6 they got off the scrum set. If they kicked for touch they would have had a set of 6 in the red zone which had been the Raiders strength all year. Either way they were hardly dudded in this situation.

As for the third one I can't comment as I don't intend on watching the replay again.

At the end of the day the Roosters got the win they were very good but also very lucky. Cheap tricks to attempt to re-write history and suggest they were the ones who were too good despite being dudded is just pathetic.
Set of 6 in the red zone had been the Raiders strength all year? Didn't we score that set, from a set of 6 in the red zone?

Ikuvalu fan

Juniors
the roosters are desperate to win the popularity stakes above all else. That's why they changed the name from "Easts" to "Sydney City" to "Sydney". Can't wait for them to change it to "Sydney Metropolitan". the bad press about their clayton's premiership hurts them hard.
I don't think popularity is as high on our agenda as you think it is mate. We prioritise success, and I'm glad we do

Ikuvalu fan

Juniors
Built up from crowds from other fanbases eg Souths fans in your home game against Souths.

BTW how shit were the dragons crowd numbers.

Couldn't even average 10k at home.
Yet Souths could barely manage 10k for their opening home game, admittedly against the Titans. The Dragons would have to be members and fans alike voting with their feet, that club is a shadow of what it used to be

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The only way people will move on from this salty butt hurt meltdown is if Uncle Nick gives everyone a free car, aka the Sutton/Cummins special.

Game_Breaker

Coach
The fact we got the ball off the scrum feed after it hit the trainer was 100% according to the rules, it would've been a bigger travesty had the refs decided to ignore the rules and award the feed to Canberra. The argument Whitehead would've scored is null and void as they would've checked the late contact on Keary from Soliola. Both teams had calls for and against them, as is the same in any game of professional sport and all sport for that matter. The better team definitely won and anyone who claims we didn't deserve it is jealous and has bias clouding their judgement

The article is claiming the Roosters were hard done by because they didn’t receive a penalty

Robbo is now officially the biggest whinger in the game because they got the ball back anyway and scored shortly after, so why the f**k is he even crying about that after he just won a premiership