What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Thread - Christchurch Double Header

Burns

First Grade
Coverage just started on GEM/Fox.

There is about 500 people there, 20min from kick off for PNG v Fiji.

I think the first game will be much better than GB Lions v Kiwis.

Im pretty low hype about this.

Springs09

Juniors
Coverage just started on GEM/Fox.

There is about 500 people there, 20min from kick off for PNG v Fiji.

I think the first game will be much better than GB Lions v Kiwis.

Im pretty low hype about this.

PNG v Fiji is always good. Christchurch is just about the worst place they could probably have it and just shows how little the organisers cared.

Burns

First Grade
Would have got a sell out, or at least a big crowd in Fiji. This is lame.

Lambretta

First Grade
Where the f**k are the New Zealand supporters? This is embarrassing

Aren't there any Fjiian people living in NZ?

Playing in Christchurch highlights that they should never be given an NRL licence over Perth or Adelaide or Ipswich.

We need to have a long hard think about where these games are played in future.

Springs09

Juniors

Playing in Christchurch highlights that they should never be given an NRL licence over Perth or Adelaide or Ipswich.

There are far less Fijian people in NZ than there are Samoan, Tongan and Cook Islands Maori. Next to none from PNG. Playing Fiji v PNG in NZ for a game like this is insane.

yakstorm

First Grade
The South Island in New Zealand has a very small number of people with Samoan and Tongan heritage, let alone Fijian and Papua New Guinean.

People from PNG generally migrate to Queensland or the Philippines, whilst remarkably the main countries Fijians migrate to are Canada and the US (although there are decent communities in Sydney, Auckland & parts of Qld).

So yeah worse venue choice for the match

kiwileaguefan

Juniors

Relax the crowd is building. Don't forget the kiwis game kicks off nearly 3 hours after the start of the Fiji v PNG.

Added to this there is not that much pacific people in the South Island.

It would be equivalent of Lebanon playing Ireland in PNG for example.

Main thing is the game is taking place and it's televised.

Springs09

Juniors
Relax the crowd is building. Don't forget the kiwis game kicks off nearly 3 hours after the start of the Fiji v PNG.

Added to this there is not that much pacific people in the South Island.

It would be equivalent of Lebanon playing Ireland in PNG for example.

Main thing is the game is taking place and it's televised.

Disagree. A lot more has to be done than just a few one-off games taking place.

Loving the energy from PNG so far.

Lambretta

First Grade
There are far less Fijian people in NZ than there are Samoan, Tongan and Cook Islands Maori. Next to none from PNG. Playing Fiji v PNG in NZ for a game like this is insane.

You would have thought that Kiwi fans would get there early to watch such high quality teams. I don't understand most fans attitude of "I will watch my team and no other"

I would have thought that any neutral fans or fans of the game would get there to watch.

jim_57

Staff member
This is one of the more enjoyable games I've watched recently. I'm hoping PNG get a win against GB next week.

MKCS

Juniors
You would have thought that Kiwi fans would get there early to watch such high quality teams. I don't understand most fans attitude of "I will watch my team and no other"

I would have thought that any neutral fans or fans of the game would get there to watch.

Yeah it was odd at the Nines I saw fans coming and going only for their teams. I was in pretty expensive seats it seemed like such a waste to pay those prices for only the couple of pool games and the finals (Although a lot didn't return for finals either)

Latest posts