What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Timbo

Staff member
He’s been played by a Scot, two Englishmen, a Welshman, an Irishman and an Australian.

But a black man!? PC NONSENSE GONE MAD I TELL YOU.

Smh.

Valheru

Coach
FMD he has been played by actors who can believably portray someone from Scotland because that is where the character is from, being from a long line of Scots on his father's side.

In Scotland 95% of people are white with the rest of the population being relatively recent immigrants.

His mother was Swiss where 65% of people are ethnic Germans with most of the rest a mix of ethnic French and Italians.

It would be just as silly for the character to not be white as it would be for black panther to not be black.

bileduct

Coach
Ahhh yes, who could forget On Her Majesty's Secret Service where James Bond had that thick Australian accent.

Timbo

Staff member
Ahhh yes, who could forget On Her Majesty's Secret Service where James Bond had that thick Australian accent.

I'll tell you what he doesn't have: a Scottish accent.

Brosnan doesn't even try and hide his Irish accent for much of his run.

Springs09

Juniors
If the color of a character’s skin has something to do with who they are and makes a difference to the story, then of course it should t be changed. You can’t make Black Panther a white man because his race is essential to his character.

There is nothing in Batman’s, James Bond’s or even Superman’s characters that makes it essential for them to be white. If they choose to change the race of those characters then I’m fine with it, as long as it’s a well written story within a good movie.

All that uproar over Michael B. Jordan getting cast as Johnny Storm was some of the most ridiculous stuff I’ve ever read.

Rubbish. Race is essential to every character, saying that race isn't important to this or that character because it doesn't impact their story is saying race isn't important full stop. If someone grew up a different race they would be a different person, same if they grew up in a different town or with different parents. There is no 'nothing about them would change if they were black' - a lot would change. Unless all this stuff I hear about how much harder it is growing up black in America is a bunch of bullshit?

I'm very source material-oriented. And that's not just race - names, hair styles, home town, backgrounds etc are all important to a character. Changing everything about a character means they aren't the character anymore, they are a different character with the same name. Take Bane as played by Tom Hardy - skin colour the same yep, but next to nothing is the same. It's an original character using Bane's name.

A character's skin always has something to do with who they are, just like a person's does.

T.S Quint

Coach
FMD he has been played by actors who can believably portray someone from Scotland because that is where the character is from, being from a long line of Scots on his father's side.

In Scotland 95% of people are white with the rest of the population being relatively recent immigrants.

His mother was Swiss where 65% of people are ethnic Germans with most of the rest a mix of ethnic French and Italians.

It would be just as silly for the character to not be white as it would be for black panther to not be black.

James Bond doesn’t have to be from Scotland.
He works for the British Secret Service. He only needs to be British.

Apart from Skyfall I can’t remember a Bond movie where his Scottish heritage was even mentioned.

T.S Quint

Coach
Rubbish. Race is essential to every character, saying that race isn't important to this or that character because it doesn't impact their story is saying race isn't important full stop. If someone grew up a different race they would be a different person, same if they grew up in a different town or with different parents. There is no 'nothing about them would change if they were black' - a lot would change. Unless all this stuff I hear about how much harder it is growing up black in America is a bunch of bullshit?

I'm very source material-oriented. And that's not just race - names, hair styles, home town, backgrounds etc are all important to a character. Changing everything about a character means they aren't the character anymore, they are a different character with the same name. Take Bane as played by Tom Hardy - skin colour the same yep, but next to nothing is the same. It's an original character using Bane's name.

A character's skin always has something to do with who they are, just like a person's does.

The Bane example is a completely different thing. It has nothing to do with this argument. His character had very little to do with his comic counterpart apart from his name and that he wore a mask. I still thought he was a pretty decent and interesting character though (apart from his final scenes).

James Bond would still be Bond is he was played by Idris Elba. The character has gone through so many changes over the movie series anyway, I don’t see why this one small change would make that much difference.

Valheru

Coach
James Bond doesn’t have to be from Scotland.
He works for the British Secret Service. He only needs to be British.

Apart from Skyfall I can’t remember a Bond movie where his Scottish heritage was even mentioned.

He is from Scotland though even if it is rarely mentioned.

I suppose you could make him just 'British' but at that point you may as well create a new character who can be whatever colour the creators want.

It is worth nothing that Britain itself still has a near on 90% majority of white people (London of course being the exception to that rule). I am not sure why characters from Britain being white is so offensive to people given that the average person in Britain is far more likely to be caucasian than any other race.

T.S Quint

Coach
Who is offended by British characters being white? You seem to be the one offended by the mere mention of a British character being black. Even if he were to be Scottish there still isn’t reason for him not to be black considering there are some black Scots, however rare they are.

bileduct

Coach
So with the Joker breaking $1 billion worldwide and becoming the highest grossing "R" rated (American rating system) film of all time, here's the absolute dumbest review of the film you will ever find, courtesy of The Young Turds.

Valheru

Coach
Who is offended by British characters being white? You seem to be the one offended by the mere mention of a British character being black. Even if he were to be Scottish there still isn’t reason for him not to be black considering there are some black Scots, however rare they are.

There are plenty of black British characters, who would be offended by that?

I am annoyed at this PC bullshit where characters are essentially having their identity changed to appease the do gooders. It makes no sense to have an ethnic Scottish character as black.

Black 007? That's fine, that isn't James Bond. Ditto with a female 007. There are plenty of ways to improve inclusiveness (if one actually believes that is an issue in modern western society) without tampering with characters where it doens't make sense to.

Valheru

Coach
Superman is an alien
He could be black. Who says aliens needs to be white

Yeah superman could be blue or green but I guess that doesn't fit in with a key part of his history i.e. being the adopted son of farmers in Kansas so he has to look human.

Him being black wouldn't be as out there as James Bond, still, 85% of people in Kansas are white which makes white by far the most likely scenario.