What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merchandising - old school?

NRLMad

Juniors
I get we’re a traditional club but our logo just doesn’t look good in terms of putting it on merchandise - can’t we bring it into line with the current year? Like what’s the frighten hold up?

It looks like we’re just going with the flow - thoughts?

We need to appeal to the next generation.within 10 years the roosters will have a ton of supporters as they’ve won and have a great brand. I’ve followed the dragons for 30 years j doubt we appeal to anyone outside our locality or heritage linked

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I get we’re a traditional club but our logo just doesn’t look good in terms of putting it on merchandise - can’t we bring it into line with the current year? Like what’s the frighten hold up?

We need to appeal to the next generation.within 10 years the roosters will have a ton of supporters as they’ve won and have a great brand. I’ve followed the dragons for 30 years j doubt we appeal to anyone outside our locality or heritage linked

How do you explain that the Dragons’ logo is within the top three brand names within the NRL notwithstanding the fact club merchandise is one of the most popular sellers DESPITE a distinct lack of success since 2011?

Have a chat to Mick Simmons’ staff in the CBD in order to gauge just how popular the slub is compared to its rivals.

NRLMad

Juniors
How do you explain that the Dragons’ logo is within the top three brand names within the NRL notwithstanding the fact club merchandise is one of the most popular sellers DESPITE a distinct lack of success since 2011?

Have a chat to Mick Simmons’ staff in the CBD in order to gauge just how popular the slub is compared to its rivals.
I don’t think that has anything to do with the style of the logo or whether it’s old school or not. If it were updated you’d have more sales. We are a popular club there’s no doubt about that. I buy to support the club doesn’t mean I like what they are producing as merchandise

Sorry NRLMad, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

I too am a 30+ year saints fan, so guessing give or take we're roughly the same age. I work in design and I don't refer to our badge as a 'logo', but rather as an emblem. A logo is what the NRL have, it's what Telstra have, it's what a lot of corporate business have. An emblem however is a symbol or representation and I personally love the fact that we're the only team left in the NRL to have one.

If you take a look at the current crop of logos, they are just that, they're logos. They're a piece of generic on trend design that'll date in a few years time and they'll just need to change it again. They choose on trend fonts or outdated cartoon mascots and they fall out of trend fast. Hence why the NRL has had about 5 logos in 20 years, why the Bulldogs updated theirs to an old design, why the eels went back to their original, the panthers changed theirs twice and even the Roosters training and off field gear has the old school eastern suburbs logo on them.

Our emblem isn't broken, no need to change it. Yankees, Chicago Bulls, NY Jets, Red wings, mets, 49ers and so on are all instant recognisable classics. Ours in any other sports would stand amongst the best.

The issue is that for some reason the club and the players have forgotten what playing for that emblem means.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Our emblem and our jersey are really all we have at this point. Probably the best in the comp. Most of the others look like they were designed by teenagers. Ours has a bit of class and simplicity to it. It’s the last thing we need changed.

Reactions: Gm5

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Be careful what you wish for when changing a logo..

Sometimes you can have an all time classic:
UG5a7tB11fODqKxsRuCKUVqI4es66_RKRELlPmz8pvE_v6VwtS0BX4vSF2oDCgHxNaJ2KeBVUKtCvgbizdm1evpTKAHo3sMZeRo4oZbefskv0lXXGBAEFUsuYESw2bYkd8kVE6C3qdlBAb7_O3bK4kqJgr4X10TG5y4p5rgH3S_oVcVR=w384-h384

And end up with something that just doesn’t look good at all:
Illawarra_steelers_logo_1998.jpg

The best part about merging was getting rid of that damn grey man and his thin handled Thor hammer..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

UG5a7tB11fODqKxsRuCKUVqI4es66_RKRELlPmz8pvE_v6VwtS0BX4vSF2oDCgHxNaJ2KeBVUKtCvgbizdm1evpTKAHo3sMZeRo4oZbefskv0lXXGBAEFUsuYESw2bYkd8kVE6C3qdlBAb7_O3bK4kqJgr4X10TG5y4p5rgH3S_oVcVR=w384-h384

The best part about merging was getting rid of that damn grey man and his thin handled Thor hammer..
I forgot about that crappy logo, the old one definitely is better, still not as good as the current one though.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Sorry NRLMad, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

I too am a 30+ year saints fan, so guessing give or take we're roughly the same age. I work in design and I don't refer to our badge as a 'logo', but rather as an emblem. A logo is what the NRL have, it's what Telstra have, it's what a lot of corporate business have. An emblem however is a symbol or representation and I personally love the fact that we're the only team left in the NRL to have one.

If you take a look at the current crop of logos, they are just that, they're logos. They're a piece of generic on trend design that'll date in a few years time and they'll just need to change it again. They choose on trend fonts or outdated cartoon mascots and they fall out of trend fast. Hence why the NRL has had about 5 logos in 20 years, why the Bulldogs updated theirs to an old design, why the eels went back to their original, the panthers changed theirs twice and even the Roosters training and off field gear has the old school eastern suburbs logo on them.

Our emblem isn't broken, no need to change it. Yankees, Chicago Bulls, NY Jets, Red wings, mets, 49ers and so on are all instant recognisable classics. Ours in any other sports would stand amongst the best.

The issue is that for some reason the club and the players have forgotten what playing for that emblem means.

Excellent post.

On closer evaluation, I’d argue that the club’s propensity to change its traditional colours (to red/black) is far more detrimental. Of course, it will say that fans have responded well to such a change, but I’m yet to see conclusive proof.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

The clubs didn’t merge though.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Explain how.

You’re a bloke with far superior Internet skills than myself. Try Googling any collateral regarding the initial 1998 press conference (featuring Bran Johnston). If unsuccessful, visit YouTube.

I’m pretty certain at the time, it was explained that SGI is a joint venture, not a merged entity.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade

Lol I actually loved the new logo the old just looked to Americanised for my liking I think the best thing about the merger is neither team had to change their colours.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Happy to oblige your request muzby
Just shut the f**k up and let the thread progress without your constant need for pedantry and mocking style of humour.
If that is beyond you then just read posts and don't reply.
Explain why.

Latest posts