What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How pointless were the 'GB Lions' and this Tour

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Nobody said it was a waste of time for them....it was a waste of time for us!!

that's the whole problem. we need a more holistic view. can't ever accuse league of being too holistic.

i think the travelling fans still had a good time, at least the ones that went to PNG. not something you would forget even if you got beat.

adamkungl

Immortal
Have a look at the PNG online news tomorrow and tell them that the GB Lions tour was a waste of time.

It's the "GB Lions" part that people are criticising, not the idea of a tour. Although this one was as half-baked as they come.

(FWIW as i've said in other threads, I still think the GB Lions tour idea is salvageable, with some tough decisions and work)

It's GB.....not GB/ENGLAND

Lol keep telling yourself that spud...
England's admins
England's coach
England's players

Pretty good article on foxsports

GB will blame Wayne Bennett for the loss to PNG, but it’s not the coach’s fault. The seeds for this mess were sewn a long time ago
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/0da940b0feec7af8b7a231955a650821

The RFL botched the off-field but the on-field results fall squarely at Bennett's crooked old feet.
He missed the mark completely on everything: motivation, selections, tactics, respect for the historic jersey.

latingringo101

Juniors
GB should be brought back when there is no Pacific tournament.

They should pick 1 country to have a 3 match series against and have warm up games against international teams. I'm glad they played against Tonga and PNG, but switching between ENG and GB colours while on tour and playing at the same time of a different international tournament is counter productive

Springs09

Juniors
Have a look at the PNG online news tomorrow and tell them that the GB Lions tour was a waste of time.

That's irrelevant. The tour was pointless, the individual games were not. A 4-game tour with no series up for grabs limited the amount of rugby league compared to what we could have. Tonga and PNG could have beaten England/GB in any series or tournament, having it be part of a 4-game nothing tour was the least interesting way it could be done.

More games v Tier 2 nations is always a good thing - but both the Lions Tour and the Oceania Cup were poor choices and we need more meaningful tours and tournaments going forward.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ok then...tonga beat NSW/QLD

If Australia played in a blue shirt with a maroon strip on it,
and the NSWRL was the
and Brad Fittler was the coach, and publicly stated it was a trial run for State of Origin
and picked 17/17 NSW players

You might have a point

Burns

First Grade
League fans complain of lack of international games
GB Lions tour scheduled
Tonga and PNG wins over GB Lions boost their spirits and local leagues immensely
League fans complain that GB Lions tour was pointless
You know what this thread r about a
If Australia played in a blue shirt with a maroon strip on it,
and the NSWRL was the
and Brad Fittler was the coach, and publicly stated it was a trial run for State of Origin
and picked 17/17 NSW players

You might have a point
oi don’t give them ideas

Perth Red

Post Whore
GB brand should be used for an Ashes series every 4 years only
SL clubs should go raiding Welsh RU again
An Englishman should be in charge of an English national side
SL should be doing everything it can to get a sustainable SL club in Wales, I would make this expansion priority #1 for the game in UK
We should never, ever pick an Australian for England/GB unless they are of the caliber of JT, Cam Smith or Tedesco
The overseas quota in the SL needs to come down to 3 players only, no cap on those three players. Lets get quality not quantity into the English game

I actually think the tour has been great in terms of another big boost for the international game in Southern Hemisphere, it sadly come at the expense of any credibility for the game in the North though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sinfield insists there have been positives from the tour. “The squad have been exemplary, we’ve not had one off-field issue”

I guess that's something...

adamkungl

Immortal
Michael Carbone/ChasingKangaroos is reporting that GB ranking points will be counted proportionally to the players in the squad.
As he is now an official IRL podcast and is in contact with higher-ups regularly I have little reason to doubt him as a source.

By my count this has England bearing 97% of the brunt of this disasterpiece, and Tonga and PNG profiting nicely on the rankings board.
England won't drop to 4th but the gap between 3 and 4 will be as close it has ever been since the rankings have been calculated.

adamkungl

Immortal
How f**kin slick is Regan Grace

I know this is only a trial game, but you can't teach footwork like that. Incredible that Wayne did everything he could to avoid picking this bloke.

Latest posts