What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
The reason clubs would be cold on him would be something in the negotiations. Either asking price or he's demanding a position.

What happened was he had a small patch of time that was bad and has been latched onto by fans as an ongoing thing. Origin was the only game that stood out really. His club form hasn't been that bad with some obvious laziness.

No mate origin was not the only game that stood out, not at all. That is a complete cop out. Laurie Daley was talking about how poor his effort was in the GF this week. same as the guys on talkin sport who have also said his effort was very poor in the gf. Literally the week after he tore up the tigers he did f**k all except kick the ball away, there were numerous games he wasn't trying.

OldPanther

Coach
Mate I really disagree with that. I think his attitude mixed with a coach like Macguire is more of a concern. Sure its possible he knuckles down but if he doesn't how will Macguire react? Will he blow up at him? How will Latrell take it if he does? I really don't understand why you think Macguire can get out of him what Robinson couldn't.

Money. A lot of the drama seems to be that he wants to get that elite spine $$$.

OldPanther

Coach
No mate origin was not the only game that stood out, not at all. That is a complete cop out. Laurie Daley was talking about how poor his effort was in the GF this week. same as the guys on talkin sport who have also said his effort was very poor in the gf. Literally the week after he tore up the tigers he did f**k all except kick the ball away, there were numerous games he wasn't trying.

Ok say I was wrong there he was still better than most centres for 2019. So just leave him out there to bludge on occasion if necessary. Don't trust him to a high workload position like fullback. So many players have had so many different issues in the game I refuse to believe one guy, whose had standard amount of touches for his position, is going to be such a liability unless you don't have the halves or coaching that can bring him into a game.

betcats

Referee
Ok say I was wrong there he was still better than most centres for 2019. So just leave him out there to bludge on occasion if necessary. Don't trust him to a high workload position like fullback. So many players have had so many different issues in the game I refuse to believe one guy, whose had standard amount of touches for his position, is going to be such a liability unless you don't have the halves or coaching that can bring him into a game.

Im not denying he was a gun in 2019.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Why is Macguire being mentioned with Bellamy and Robinson? He isn't in the same stratosphere. For all his increased strictness and discipline he won one less game then Ivan with almost the same team. I agree with what you are saying though, we likely don't have a coach who can get the best out of Latrell.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's on the same level coaching skill wise, more that he's not a "mate first" type of coach, which is the kind of vibe I get from IC.

ACTPanthers

Bench
All of that becomes pretty irrelevant under a strict coach like at Tigers which is the club I think will benefit from him. They also have 2 ball playing halves who were top 10 for try assists.

I used us as a reference just to show my personal bias/opinion on him and what I believe would be reasons for clubs to not sign him other than the attitude thing.

What isn't opinion is the fact he was still the best in his position regardless of people saying there was an attitude issue so if you want to win hes a valuable asset. Even then why does he have an issue? Does he hate people at the club? Is it money? There's a lot of things that can be rectified by changing clubs.

Nah I get that, hence why my post included Madge.

This is where the "risk vs reward" thing comes in again. There ARE a lot of things that can be rectified by changing clubs, but that's a risk, and one that I'm sure the recruiters of all teams have weighed up against his undeniable talent. You can be the most gifted athlete, have all the skill in the world, but if you have a bad attitude it'll come crashing down at some point. This is where I think clubs are baulking at signing him (along with his reported hefty price tag).

All this is moot anyway, as I'm pretty sure the clubs banking on the younguns in the centre position (not that I completely agree with that but it is what it is)

OldPanther

Coach
Im not denying he was a gun in 2019.

Which is my point. I don't think I'd want him here and if he did come it'd be under pretty strict rules in the club's favour BUT a team like the Tigers who have a 9 year finals drought don't have the luxury of worrying about a guy who might be a bit lazy but is still elite and I think a strict coach like Madge would be a good fit compared to what else is out there. Going back to what @ACTPanthers said about risk Vs reward Tigers need to take the risk here unless he wants too much money as they're still carrying Reynolds.

martielang

Bench
Are the majority of people out with pitchforks for Mitchell based on perceived attitude issue, the same people who would've died on their sword defending Moylan against the exact same allegations? Well I'll be...

Reading this anyone would think Latrell Mitchell is the size of Dave Taylor & the skill level of Purts. Mitchell is an immense talent, an elite player. He's not the only player ever to have 'attitude issues', nor not feel loved at his current club, nor the only one looking for a pay day. The Roosters pushing him out would be more about managing their salary cap as anything else.

betcats

Referee
Reading this anyone would think Latrell Mitchell is the size of Dave Taylor & the skill level of Purts. Mitchell is an immense talent, an elite player. He's not the only player ever to have 'attitude issues', nor not feel loved at his current club, nor the only one looking for a pay day. The Roosters pushing him out would be more about managing their salary cap as anything else.

You really talk a lot of shit. Everyone has admitted he is a talent, purtell? I mean what are you actually talking about? Stick to talking up Folau's marketability mate you make more sense.

betcats

Referee
Which is my point. I don't think I'd want him here and if he did come it'd be under pretty strict rules in the club's favour BUT a team like the Tigers who have a 9 year finals drought don't have the luxury of worrying about a guy who might be a bit lazy but is still elite and I think a strict coach like Madge would be a good fit compared to what else is out there. Going back to what @ACTPanthers said about risk Vs reward Tigers need to take the risk here unless he wants too much money as they're still carrying Reynolds.

There are lots of clubs out there desperate to make the finals, id say these clubs need to worry about the attitude of their players more than a club like the roosters who already have a great culture.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Are the majority of people out with pitchforks for Mitchell based on perceived attitude issue, the same people who would've died on their sword defending Moylan against the exact same allegations? Well I'll be...

Martie... Really mate? You seem to have imagined a narrative that didn't happen. I don't recall anyone saying he's not talented, quite the opposite actually.

Honest question. You really seem to dislike IC as our coach, which for some of your arguments has merit. So do YOU honestly think if Latrell was to come to our club, Ivan could get the best out of someone who has dedication issues?

age.s

First Grade
Yeah I'm not comfortable writing Latrell off either. He's certainly not looked like the complete package in 2019, but (as with a lot of things) all we're ever really doing here is speculating as to why. We don't know him, nor much of anything that goes on within our club, let alone at others. As good an operation as the Roosters are, it's very unlikely that the reasons for Latrell's inconsistency are exactly as we speculate (he's just lazy).

The problem of course, is that it's hard to see our club (and IC) getting the best out of anyone given the year we've just had. But the logical conclusion of that is either to sign bland, boring players, or just sit tight and pray the next Freddy, Brandy and MG are waiting (perpetually) in the next crop of juniors coming through. I doubt anyone here would be happy with either scenario.

I wouldn't want to sign him on 7 figures, but bring the price down a bit and perhaps the potential for Latrell to become the player he gives us glimpses of makes him a risk worth taking. Either way we're destined for mediocrity and don't really have anything to lose.

martielang

Bench
You really talk a lot of shit. Everyone has admitted he is a talent, purtell? I mean what are you actually talking about? Stick to talking up Folau's marketability mate you make more sense.

Good to have you back to your prickly best @betcats . Surprisingly I think you've missed my point. Again.

OldPanther

Coach
There are lots of clubs out there desperate to make the finals, id say these clubs need to worry about the attitude of their players more than a club like the roosters who already have a great culture.

We can't say he'll have an effect on a club's culture since we have no idea what the problems are, why they are there or to what extent.

Tigers though have an advantage with a strict coach who presumably won't take any shit and a set of halves that'll bring him into a game. Not all clubs are equal here and I think they have a better shot than most bottom 8 teams to get what they need from him.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What you’ve said is almost in the same tone as the mail I got from my contact, who works very closely at the Roosters.

From what I heard, he wasn’t well liked due to his laziness and attitude, plus he surrounded himself with people ill-advising him on everything. He further said that the Roosters will be glad to be rid of him.

Latrell’s Dad advised him to “go for top dollar”! He can kiss that opportunity goodbye if the Wests Tigers go cold on him.

Mt contacts come from Taree. I have no doubt they are on the money. Especially cause towns like Taree love their sporting stars. To even hear this mentioned about a local who played junior footy at Taree is almost unheard of. So there is basis for it.

betcats

Referee
We can't say he'll have an effect on a club's culture since we have no idea what the problems are, why they are there or to what extent.

Tigers though have an advantage with a strict coach who presumably won't take any shit and a set of halves that'll bring him into a game. Not all clubs are equal here and I think they have a better shot than most bottom 8 teams to get what they need from him.

So when Latrel wants to miss a game next season to go back to taree you think Macguire will happily let him take the week off? lol come on mate. Latrell might toe the line or he might not that is the whole risk and if he doesn't toe the line I promise Macguire will not prove to be an advantage. Just cause madge wont take shit doesn't mean Latrell wont give it, do you think Robinson takes shit? Latrell still wont talk to fitler, he doesn't seem to take criticism overly well. If he gets put on blast in front of the whole team(something macguire will do) how does he respond?

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
Martie... Really mate? You seem to have imagined a narrative that didn't happen. I don't recall anyone saying he's not talented, quite the opposite actually.

Honest question. You really seem to dislike IC as our coach, which for some of your arguments has merit. So do YOU honestly think if Latrell was to come to our club, Ivan could get the best out of someone who has dedication issues?

I wouldn't say I dislike IC, I just don't think he was the right man for the job & I think the club making that decision, in addition to sacking a coach based on underachieving only to hire a coach who doesn't think the squad is good enough anyway, has essentially made the last 5 years redundant. I'd like to be wrong but so far it doesn't look that way.

Man-management for the most part seems to be one of IC's strengths. He seems well liked by the great majority of players, hence why the Tigers players were so distraught. But it's more about our club being in a position where we need to take a bit of a punt. Maybe the added responsibility of being the marquee player in our club gets him to rise to the occasion? In saying that, even a half-arsed Mitchell improves our side considerably & the commercial aspect of it would be very good for the club as well.

If I was offered Mitchell for $900k a season for 3 years, I'd take their hand off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts