What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Roosters chatter

Valheru

Coach
How will we play this if he does indeed go?

2020 - assume our roster will stay put, with or without Latrell

2021 - 2 options
1) we go for a big $1M star. Ponga, Fifita, Haas.. big calibre player that we build the club around again. Player managers will be licking their lips for this circus
2) No one on the market that suits.. target the top 3 u20s players and see who grows into the role. In the mean time we keep Keary, Manu, Cordner, Verrils, Radley happy with a bit of a boost

We already have the man we build the club around over the next 8 years IMO, James tedesco.

Verrils radley Manu SST Crighton and Keary will be around a long while yet. Cords JWH liu and Tupou probably have 3 years left each.

Bmoz jake and aubo will likely all be gone by 2021

So we will have lost cronk Bmoz jake aubo and Latrell at minimum IMO by the start of 2021 with Flanagan the only replacement of note.

I think we will do both of your options, a marquee signing in the forwards and also doing what we do best, identifying young talent and bring them through.

We will then do the same again in 2023/4 after the likes of JWH Tupou etc. are gone.

The meltdown on LU will be epic.

It is quite a circus, and has provided some entertainment this week. I do hope, though, that it gets resolved sooner rather than later, as I am concerned about Latrell's mental well being. I am not convinced that he has the best people around him to be honest (I am not talking about his family, but a certain ex player who also boxed here and there). I still think that, on balance, he is likely to head to Souths. They have acted in a strange way this week.

On another matter, I am confused as to what is happening with Zane. He is not in our 2020 squad, but the club has remained very quiet around his situation. I am not sure what to make of it. I presumed that he is going to the Bulldogs, but this seems uncertain now. Perhaps they are waiting for the test matches to finish.

In terms of other players, perhaps we could consider Josh Morris in the centres for a year or two? He could play with his brother and that would buy us more time to either fully develop Billy Smith or look for another, higher profile player (there are not a lot of options out there at the moment to be honest). Jack Wighton is a chance, I suppose, but I do worry about the off field side of things.

Do we think SST leads the pack in terms of candidates for the Golden Boot award this year? Apparently, the criteria has changed to only focus on international test matches. That is a real shame as Teddy should have won it last year. Anyway, Rooster views are welcome!

A couple of developments since my last post:

1. WCC (https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2019/11/12/roosters-set-for-st-helens-in-wcc-blockbuster/). I really like our chances, given our record is great against St Helens. It will be interesting to see how the teams are managed between the Nines and the WCC (a week between them). It would be history making (I think) if we can go back to back in that too. I also think a win would make us the most successful WCC club - another great incentive! If Latrell does in fact part ways with us, we do not have to worry about missing one of our very best players due to a clash with another, certain high profile match.

2. Golden Boot Award (https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2019/11/14/roosters-remain-in-trimmed-golden-boot-shortlist/). Although I am sceptical of it (as I believe Teddy should have won it last year), I would be very pleased if either SST or JWH could win it this time round. The criteria around it really needs to be looked at going forward in my view.

A few things:
1. Very disappointed for SST and JWH that neither of them were able to win the so called Golden Boot. I think that award needs a serious review. It is running the risk of turning into a 'mickey mouse' award that is completely irrelevant. While I have nothing against RTS, it should have been won by SST, or Teddy (based on a reasonable set of redrafted criteria).
2. It is great news about JWH. I would love it if his judiciary record could be improved over the next four years and we can better control his aggression on the field. He will turn into a great leader and mentor to our forwards going forward, just like Cooper was for our backs over the past couple of seasons.
3. The situation with Zane is very strange. I thought we would have heard something by now. I am resigned to the fact that he is leaving, but I would have thought that an announcement would have been made by now (now that the international season is over).

jiorl

Juniors
W
A few things:
1. Very disappointed for SST and JWH that neither of them were able to win the so called Golden Boot. I think that award needs a serious review. It is running the risk of turning into a 'mickey mouse' award that is completely irrelevant. While I have nothing against RTS, it should have been won by SST, or Teddy (based on a reasonable set of redrafted criteria).
2. It is great news about JWH. I would love it if his judiciary record could be improved over the next four years and we can better control his aggression on the field. He will turn into a great leader and mentor to our forwards going forward, just like Cooper was for our backs over the past couple of seasons.
3. The situation with Zane is very strange. I thought we would have heard something by now. I am resigned to the fact that he is leaving, but I would have thought that an announcement would have been made by now (now that the international season is over).
Well apparently Tetavano has been spotted at roosters preseason training so that's a another twist in the story. My bet is we have signed him, and will be announcing it after Latrell fiasco is resolved

Valheru

Coach
So what’s left now? Let Friend go and keep Latrell on the original offer or close to it, or keep Friend and Latrell either leaves or plays for Norths next year? Do we possibly lose both?

I wouldn't be re-signing jake regardless of what happens with Latrell.

Verrils is a bona fide first grader now with a bright future.

Yeah, his time’s up it seems. I don’t think I wanna see him run out for another NRL club so hopefully he goes to England.

We went out on the whore with Latell and after he got us pregnant, he wouldn’t take our calls.

we thought we knew better. We were wrong.

he’s every bit the creep nick and robbo warned us all about.

don’t release him, make him suffer.

We went out on the whore with Latell and after he got us pregnant, he wouldn’t take our calls.

we thought we knew better. We were wrong.

he’s every bit the creep nick and robbo warned us all about.

don’t release him, make him suffer.

I get you’re pissed and so am I but I hope the club is bigger than that. If he wants to go, let him go. Even if it’s to Souffs. Being scorned just makes you bitter and doesn’t do anybody any good. In the end, he and his ‘advisors’ will look like dicks and our clubs keep their reputations intact.

I get you’re pissed and so am I but I hope the club is bigger than that. If he wants to go, let him go. Even if it’s to Souffs. Being scorned just makes you bitter and doesn’t do anybody any good. In the end, he and his ‘advisors’ will look like dicks and our clubs keep their reputations intact.

Thanks, very gracious post.

I suppose at the end of the day, I respect the roosters a bit more for making an insightful call on his personality and perceived lack of character.

At least he wasn’t in Madge’s long term plans- we never sought him, you blokes threw him into the open market for apparently being ungrateful and greedy.

Robbo expects players to take responsibility and give back as does Madge. Same thoughts at different clubs.

A lot of us don’t want him now even for beer money because he is seen as a complete tool and will infect the playing group with his selfish shiz

Thanks, very gracious post.

I suppose at the end of the day, I respect the roosters a bit more for making an insightful call on his personality and perceived lack of character.

At least he wasn’t in Madge’s long term plans- we never sought him, you blokes threw him into the open market for apparently being ungrateful and greedy.

Robbo expects players to take responsibility and give back as does Madge. Same thoughts at different clubs.

A lot of us don’t want him now even for beer money because he is seen as a complete tool and will infect the playing group with his selfish shiz

I don’t blame guys for wanting more and appreciate players get cut regularly in professional sport and all, but he’s won two premierships with a bunch of guys you assume are mates. You’d think there’s a comradery there somewhere but he knows having his demands met, means one or two of his mates get cut. On top of that, he’s insulted your coaching staff and is dicking other clubs around. I know Mundine and his entourage are behind all this but Latrell is ultimately responsible.

I don’t blame guys for wanting more and appreciate players get cut regularly in professional sport and all, but he’s won two premierships with a bunch of guys you assume are mates. You’d think there’s a comradery there somewhere but he knows having his demands met, means one or two of his mates get cut. On top of that, he’s insulted your coaching staff and is dicking other clubs around. I know Mundine and his entourage are behind all this but Latrell is ultimately responsible.

Well I learnt a valuable lesson and got the clip over the ear I deserved.

The consequences for him are that he will never be trusted again.

I think the rooster people will be quietly pleased the tigers ditched him. Supports their decision 100% to ditch him and mangles his prospects of big long term deals.High fives at rooster hq or a text between nick and robbo:

“ hey robbo you up yet? Tigers dump lm did you hear?”
“Yeah, Lol”

Publically threatening him with norths was big time discipline!

Latrell and co were “ too cool for school” lol.

payback is a bitch.

Last edited:
Well I learnt a valuable lesson and got the clip over the ear I deserved.

The consequences for him are that he will never be trusted again.

I think the rooster people will be quietly pleased the tigers ditched him. Supports their decision 100% to ditch him and mangles his prospects of big long term deals.High fives at rooster hq or a text between nick and robbo:

“Tigers dump lm did you hear?
Yeah, Lol”

Publically threatening him with norths was big time discipline!

Latrell and co were “ too cool for school” lol.

payback is a bitch.

Abso-fuggin-lutely

Abso-fuggin-lutely

We wouldn’t have a game unless hundreds of less elite players made big sacrifices.

The top tier clubs, have extraordinary rosters. They are heavily monitored by the nrl.

The only realistic conclusion one can draw is that their less stellar players are making substantial salary sacrifices to stay with these clubs. So essentially, these clubs have to offer rewards in other legal ways to keep the less elite players happy and interested. A chance at glory is one, but they need to be with good people around the club and non nrl personal and career opportunities

The magic ingredient is the people.

We wouldn’t have a game unless hundreds of less elite players made big sacrifices.

The top tier clubs, have extraordinary rosters. They are heavily monitored by the nrl.

The only realistic conclusion one can draw is that their less stellar players are making substantial salary sacrifices to stay with these clubs. So essentially, these clubs have to offer rewards in other legal ways to keep the less elite players happy and interested. A chance at glory is one, but they need to be with good people around the club and non nrl personal and career opportunities

The magic ingredient is the people.

The less stellar players adopt a different strategy to the high profile players. They seek longevity instead and preferably at a club with solid foundations and a good track record of people managing. Still requires sacrifice (ego just as much as monetary) from the the player as you mentioned but rewards are there.

Latest posts