What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Naden just flat out refuses to pass, that’s a huge problem in itself. His defence & lack of passing to his outside man makes him a winger in my view.

I take your point that Blake also had technical deficiencies, but I genuinely think Naden’s are worse. His instincts in chasing kicks & taking the high ball are however very good, and could easily be used on the wing.

I’m not really trying prove one or the other has bigger deficiencies my main point is Blake, who clearly had done deficiencies was still able to take big steps over his time here and become a very good player. There is no reason Naden won’t take a big step this year and improve his defence or become a better passer. The fact he is doing his first preseason with a full time nrl contract might give him more room for improvement.

Naden probably is better suited to the wing, I’ve said not long ago I’d put Naden on the wing and Too in the centres, both players should benefit.

Forgot masters made the move up north,
Hopoate is a fullback, who will be back at fullback when Dean pay shifts DWZ back to the wing like every other coach DWZ has ever had,

And O'Neill was playing Queensland cup Because of how bad he's been, and that's saying something for a club that had Javid Bowen and Coen hess in the centres for large parts of the 2019 season.

Hopoate played 95% season in the centres. Maybe he’s better suited to FB, but he’d easily play in our centres. He was also playing centre before DWZ moved to the bulldogs.

I’m not really trying prove one or the other has bigger deficiencies my main point is Blake, who clearly had done deficiencies was still able to take big steps over his time here and become a very good player. There is no reason Naden won’t take a big step this year and improve his defence or become a better passer. The fact he is doing his first preseason with a full time nrl contract might give him more room for improvement.

Naden probably is better suited to the wing, I’ve said not long ago I’d put Naden on the wing and Too in the centres, both players should benefit.

Of course Naden could improve, but I’m judging our centres on the here & now. On what we know right now our centre options are less than stellar.

betcats

Referee
Of course Naden could improve, but I’m judging our centres on the here & now. On what we know right now our centre options are less than stellar.

You judge Naden on the here and now but refer continually back to Blake’s best year when that comparison is made lol come on that is ridiculous.

If we are judging on the here and now Blake will give you three tries a year and can’t outrun Wighton.

You judge Naden on the here and now but refer continually back to Blake’s best year when that comparison is made lol come on that is ridiculous.

If we are judging on the here and now Blake will give you three tries a year and can’t outrun Wighton.

Because I was making a point about our centre options for next year. This wasn’t directly about Naden vs Blake when I first raised it, it was about our options at centre and how that pertained to signings.

OldPanther

Coach

To be fair Wighton is actually a speedster in his own right.

betcats

Referee
Because I was making a point about our centre options for next year. This wasn’t directly about Naden vs Blake when I first raised it, it was about our options at centre and how that pertained to signings.

Ok well I literally just made a comparison of their points scored and said Naden was ahead and you corrected me and said no they are only even because of Waqa’s tally in 2018 but whatever it’s not about those two, I just see different standards being applied a lot.

Ok well I literally just made a comparison of their points scored and said Naden was ahead and you corrected me and said no they are only even because of Waqa’s tally in 2018 but whatever it’s not about those two, I just see different standards being applied a lot.

Yes, it morphed into Naden vs Blake. My point was when I first raised it I was talking about the options for next year as they stand.

I agree that Naden is further along with his attacking game than Blake was at the same stage of his career. But I maintain his defence is a massive concern.

mxlegend99

Referee
These guys signed before Capewell, signing Capewell hasn’t prevented us from signing them. Maybe we tried to sign them and did like the price. Maybe they have a plan for the backs that doesn’t involve a signing. I mean FMD some of you are very hard to please.
Why would we be pleased at adding depth to the only part of our roster that didn't need it?

Nothing against Capewell. But we really didn't need another second rower. I really don't think our position on the ladder in 2020 will be affected at all one way or the other by this signing.

Why would we be pleased at adding depth to the only part of our roster that didn't need it?

Nothing against Capewell. But we really didn't need another second rower. I really don't think our position on the ladder in 2020 will be affected at all one way or the other by this signing.

I don’t think it will positively impact our year, but it could negatively impact by being an opportunity loss in terms of another signing.

Capewell had to cost 350k at least, so if the 600k figure was accurate as to our cap space, you aren’t getting much of a centre for 250k.

franklin2323

Immortal
In a salary cap competition with minimum spots that's somewhat irrelevant. They could all have 1 game each but they are still taking a top 30 spot.

Yes I'm playing devil's advocate partially because I agree with both sides weirdly enough.

isn’t that why it is best you have several guys that can handle it rather then a top heavy squad where one injury ruins it all?

Last edited:
So Capewell can’t positively affect our year but he can negatively affect our year.

Im sure you two are just trolling me now that is some incredible foresight and analysis.

I don’t think he’s that good that he’s going to change much. He’s a decent player, but this’ll mean less minutes for Martin who I think is ready to play regular FG and is a much more dynamic player. Plus as I mentioned it means less money for a position I think is more important.

If we’d had a lack of second rowers it’d be totally different.

Fangs

Coach
Still a bit early to say how we will fair in 2020, I want to see all the top 30 squads before rating our chances.

There is a lot of potential in guys like Leinu/Burns who I think will completely change our attack. However I'm not convinced our new spine will be enough to cover the loss of James Maloney and I expect we will lose plenty of close matches. I feel safe in saying we won't challenge the top 4 but can't write us off making the 8.

franklin2323

Immortal
Still a bit early to say how we will fair in 2020, I want to see all the top 30 squads before rating our chances.

There is a lot of potential in guys like Leinu/Burns who I think will completely change our attack. However I'm not convinced our new spine will be enough to cover the loss of James Maloney and I expect we will lose plenty of close matches. I feel safe in saying we won't challenge the top 4 but can't write us off making the 8.

That is why I haven’t said how I think we will go yet. Still stuff to sort out but if Api takes control in place of Maloney we will be fine if not last tackle plays will be ordinary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts