What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
There’s no contradiction because I still wanted to buy experience, just in a different position.

My concern is our backs aren’t experienced enough.

It really just feels like you looking for reasons these are bad signings because they didn't do what you want. In footballing terms Tetevano is a perfect signing for us. Experienced, quality and cheap and just been part of a winning culture. Leniu and Leota will get the minutes they earn, the young guys don't get held back at Penrith(not since gus) there is no reason to think these guys will.

Not sure what more he could have done. I'd like to see him get longer minutes but he was good in the time he got on the field (as was the entire pack), particularly starting in the last month or two of the season. He can't control how the coach wants to use him.

More minutes is all I meant.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sure, but there’s experienced journeymen out there like Tim Grant.

Not sure someone whose been convicted on domestic violence is the person to help our culture. Sure, he may be a changed man, but people don’t forget things like that.

Now how many years ago did the DV occur ? Is it 5 years.....(I'm genuinely unsure) a roosters poster mentioned what an asset he was the his club. Some folks do grow up and become worthwhile citizens.

betcats

Referee
Not sure what more he could have done. I'd like to see him get longer minutes but he was good in the time he got on the field (as was the entire pack), particularly starting in the last month or two of the season. He can't control how the coach wants to use him.

Yep Leota played every game this year, started many. He is stepping up lol.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think he’s ready to step up too, but I’m not sure he’ll get the chance. Limited minutes available because JFH can play big minutes.

Fish will be comming back from a big injury (pec) so I'm sure his minutes will be high early on. Then I think they will both share big minutes, especially as Tamou ages and lenui comes through. I believe 2020 will be a HUGE year for him.

Now how many years ago did the DV occur ? Is it 5 years.....(I'm genuinely unsure) a roosters poster mentioned what an asset he was the his club. Some folks do grow up and become worthwhile citizens.

5 years.

I just couldn’t take a guy seriously as trying to help team culture that had been convicted of what he has. Young kid in the squad googles him and finds that out, what are they going to think?

mxlegend99

Referee
Fits in what I was told and shared here in September. 'The club is after Value buys'

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...ignings-part-4.455990/page-1102#post-13851863
Honestly $350k a season doesn't sound like a value buy to me. Roosters had him outside of their top 17 on grand final day and he was typically just a benchie.

Seems like the market value of an eager club IMO. Not horrible. But not really a bargain either.

Unbelievable how much the cap has changed in 10 years though. That was Petero Civoniceva money a decade ago. Now average thugs can earn that... and in some cases a hell of alot more and its still only a fraction of the cap compared to what Petero took up.

The yak

Juniors
Leniu doesn’t have to play big minutes, it’s time for Leota to step up and do more. Leniu would’ve been the fourth prop in the rotation. Although now he may hardly play unless there’s injuries.

Its putting his body through week to week of NRL. It can take a toll on the young ones early on. They get tired and inconsistent.
I remember Luke Swain's comment on his first dozen games. He didn't know where he was and just did enough to survive.
They can't all be naturals like Payne Haas.
I would like to see Leota take the next step too. 5th year of fg next year. I know he has more in him.

Leniu will get his chance. Injuries, suspensions happen a lot.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
He was only 24... too young too know any better that bashing woman was wrong. Especially with that toxic NRL culture.

But hey it's not as disgusting as anything Dallin, Bryce or Moylan did isit? I honestly expected you to have issue with him considering yourmorals in the past.

Its putting his body through week to week of NRL. It can take a toll on the young ones early on. They get tired and inconsistent.
I remember Luke Swain's comment on his first dozen games. He didn't know where he was and just did enough to survive.
They can't all be naturals like Payne Haas.
I would like to see Leota take the next step too. 5th year of fg next year. I know he has more in him.

Leniu will get his chance. Injuries, suspensions happen a lot.

I’m not worried about Leniu getting his chance, I just think he was good enough to the fourth prop in our rotation. Leota can play a lot more minutes than he has.

betcats

Referee
Honestly $350k a season doesn't sound like a value buy to me. Roosters had him outside of their top 17 on grand final day and he was typically just a benchie.

Seems like the market value of an eager club IMO. Not horrible. But not really a bargain either.

Unbelievable how much the cap has changed in 10 years though. That was Petero Civoniceva money a decade ago. Now average thugs can earn that... and in some cases a hell of alot more and its still only a fraction of the cap compared to what Petero took up.
That roosters forward pack was shit hot. They had SST on the bench for the GF and Crichton. He would’ve played if not for jake friend coming back for the gf.

We haven’t been acting like an eager club this offseason. The inside word is we are all about value buys.

Edit: The cap has increased by more than double since Petero. If Petero was 350k back then he’d be on about 850-900k with today’s cap.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
310k is the average NRL salary, Tetevano is an above average player.
I think average is about right for him.

Mostly a benchie. Not considered part of Roosters best 17 on grand final day. Although their 17 is clearly better than most.

3 tries in 103 games... and only 1 try in his past 80 or so games. Did a job for Roosters.. will do a job for us too. But i dont really think he's much better than Moses Leota. I could see Tetevano being our 4th best prop if Leota stays fit in 2020.

I think average is about right for him.

Mostly a benchie. Not considered part of Roosters best 17 on grand final day. Although their 17 is clearly better than most.

3 tries in 103 games... and only 1 try in his past 80 or so games. Did a job for Roosters.. will do a job for us too. But i dont really think he's much better than Moses Leota. I could see Tetevano being our 4th best prop if Leota stays fit in 2020.

You might be underselling him a bit. I had a look at his stats and he ran for 9.7m per run. That’s very good. Admittedly it was in a forward pack that would’ve been dominating other teams, so we’ll need to see how that translates here.

mxlegend99

Referee
That roosters forward pack was shit hot. They had SST on the bench for the GF and Crichton. He would’ve played if not for jake friend coming back for the gf.

We haven’t been acting like an eager club this offseason. The inside word is we are all about value buys.

Edit: The cap has increased by more than double since Petero. If Petero was 350k back then he’d be on about 850-900k with today’s cap.
How many more games would he have not played if Roosters didnt have injuries though?

Biggest game of the year and Roosters chose him to leave out. Guarantee he was on a hell of a lot less at Roosters than we are paying him.

Paying above the NRL average for a career benchie is hardly a value buy. IMO its the market value of an eager club. Not terrible like a desperate club paying astronomical money. But not a vargain buy like you're trying to makeit out to be.

I said in the post you quoted the cap had gone up dramatically. That was the entire point of what was said. That average props today can earn as much to significantly more than what the best prop in the game earned a decade ago and still be on a smaller portion of the cap. Its ridiculous that an average thug earns what the elite prop and a true gentleman of the game did... and that was with uspaying overs to him still.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
You might be underselling him a bit. I had a look at his stats and he ran for 9.7m per run. That’s very good. Admittedly it was in a forward pack that would’ve been dominating other teams, so we’ll need to see how that translates here.

If he can stay out of trouble and average 90 metres off the bench, grind out some tough metres, and provide a bit of sting in defence I will be content.

betcats

Referee
How many more games would he have not played if Roosters didnt have injuries though?

Biggest game of the year and Roosters chose him to leave out. Guarantee he was on a hell of a lot less at Roosters than we are paying him.

Paying above the NRL average for a career benchie is hardly a value buy. IMO its the market value of an eager club. Not terrible like a desperate club paying astronomical money. But not a vargain buy like you're trying to makeit out to be.

I said in the post you quoted the cap had gone up dramatically. That was the entire point of what was said. That average props today can earn as much to significantly more than what the best prop in the game earned a decade ago and still be on a smaller portion of the cap. Its ridiculous that an average thug earns what the elite prop and a true gentleman of the game did... and that was with uspaying overs to him still.

Tetevano is a good player, him getting left out of the Gf doesn’t change that, I’m confident we got him at a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts