What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
The 11 year benchmark is the part I don’t agree with

I can’t be bothered googling NSW Criminal Law but I seem to recall the offences May was charged with carry a maximum term of 7 years imprisonment if dealt with as an indictable offence. May is being dealt with summarily in the Local Court so a maximum of two years applies. Luke Bowden would be more knowledgeable than I around this situation but regardless the stand down policy of the NRL stated offences carrying prison sentences of 11 years or more.

franklin2323

Immortal
I can’t be bothered googling NSW Criminal Law but I seem to recall the offences May was charged with carry a maximum term of 7 years imprisonment if dealt with as an indictable offence. May is being dealt with summarily in the Local Court so a maximum of two years applies. Luke Bowden would be more knowledgeable than I around this situation but regardless the stand down policy of the NRL stated offences carrying prison sentences of 11 years or more.

My point is not like this off season has been scandal free

mxlegend99

Referee
How does May lose his job and Wighton keep his?

Why do we want to throw May under the bus and the Raiders all rallied behind Jackie boy?

I’m confident we will sack May, but seriously..... I don’t think it’s consistent with what’s been going on in the rest of the league.
I would like to say because we have higher moral expectations for our jersey than other clubs. But Tetevano signing goes against that.

I think May deserves to be sacked having plead guilty. But IMO what he did is not as bad as what guys like Packer, Lodge, Wighton, Tetevano etc. have been found guilty of either.

But as @betcats said... another person could find what May did as worse and I can see why. The NRL took a step in the right direction with the no fault standown policy. But it looks pretty f**king laughable when you have guys found guilty of arguably more serious crimes running around, others having copped a slap on the wrist etc. for crimes and so on.

Barba got a lifetime ban for the same thing many recent or current players have been found guilty of. Which I think is a great stance to take... but the NRL deadset needs to get their shit together.

Make blanket rules for as many scenarios as they can.

Ie. Low range drink driving. X% fine and 5 game suspension.
Mid range drink driving . X% fine and 10 game suspension.

Do a similar scale for all things players have been found guilty of for the past 10 yearsor so. Tinker with it so the punishments seem fair across the different incidents. And have some crimes with zero tolerance and a life time ban. No exceptions if its a Cameron Smith or a Mitch Kenny. Same punishment fits all players. Make fines as percentages to make it fairer.

Like the judiciary there should be loading for repeat offenders.

If the NRL had a well thought out system that is strict but fair in place rather than simply reacting to the media we would save alot of face and questions regarding consistency across punishments. Things like why is Carney not allowed to play while Lodge and Packer are etc.

The no fault stand down policy IMO is about the best system we can hope for while guilt is to be determined. Its not perfect obviously. Especially if a player like Jack De Belin ends up being proven innocent and has missed ~2 seasons.

I think in scenarios where a contract expires or earning capacity has been reduced. The NRL should be required to compensate them for the lost earnings and keep them paid if the case goes on beyond their contract.

Ie. If JDB is innocent. He should be compensated what he would have earned playing for NSW and Australia, and compensated for whatever loss in value he took as a player on his next contract.

franklin2323

Immortal
He was charged with sharing it without consent also. They dropped these charges as part of the plea deal.

So no evidence or what? Seems strange as that is what caused all the pain for those involved. I don’t know about you but I would notice a phone filming while having sex. Whole thing is weird really I guess wanted it sorted quick

franklin2323

Immortal
I would like to say because we have higher moral expectations for our jersey than other clubs. But Tetevano signing goes against that.

I think May deserves to be sacked having plead guilty. But IMO what he did is not as bad as what guys like Packer, Lodge, Wighton, Tetevano etc. have been found guilty of either.

But as @betcats said... another person could find what May did as worse and I can see why. The NRL took a step in the right direction with the no fault standown policy. But it looks pretty f**king laughable when you have guys found guilty of arguably more serious crimes running around, others having copped a slap on the wrist etc. for crimes and so on.

Barba got a lifetime ban for the same thing many recent or current players have been found guilty of. Which I think is a great stance to take... but the NRL deadset needs to get their shit together.

Make blanket rules for as many scenarios as they can.

Ie. Low range drink driving. X% fine and 5 game suspension.
Mid range drink driving . X% fine and 10 game suspension.

Do a similar scale for all things players have been found guilty of for the past 10 yearsor so. Tinker with it so the punishments seem fair across the different incidents. And have some crimes with zero tolerance and a life time ban. No exceptions if its a Cameron Smith or a Mitch Kenny. Same punishment fits all players. Make fines as percentages to make it fairer.

Like the judiciary there should be loading for repeat offenders.

If the NRL had a well thought out system that is strict but fair in place rather than simply reacting to the media we would save alot of face and questions regarding consistency across punishments. Things like why is Carney not allowed to play while Lodge and Packer are etc.

The no fault stand down policy IMO is about the best system we can hope for while guilt is to be determined. Its not perfect obviously. Especially if a player like Jack De Belin ends up being proven innocent and has missed ~2 seasons.

I think in scenarios where a contract expires or earning capacity has been reduced. The NRL should be required to compensate them for the lost earnings and keep them paid if the case goes on beyond their contract.

Ie. If JDB is innocent. He should be compensated what he would have earned playing for NSW and Australia, and compensated for whatever loss in value he took as a player on his next contract.

It seems more like a PR stunt all along. Like you said not that hard to get a plan for all offences

Kilkenny

Coach
Sadly we are not ever going to have total transparency and consistency when it comes to the NRL and how it handles matters which bring the game into disrepute or player indiscretions. Again I fully understand May did the wrong thing, particularly given it was an offence against a female, but there are many others who will escape sanctions because of circumstances, victims, where the incident took place ie the recent incident in Bali where you can all draw your own conclusions on how that situation was resolved. Our club did the right thing, Tyrone May has admitted his guilt so should get some leniency for that and I hope he is not lost to the game even if he has to find another club after the dust settles.

kinghippo

Juniors
The thing with the stand down rule is it isn’t being viewed by the NRL as a punishment at all, no matter how long they are stood down.
They will still throw the book at then after sentencing.
I am not completely on board with that, but I can see both sides of the argument.
May is the test case and the NRL will want to look strong on what is a seriously complicated issue.
Apparently the player’s union has been making a bit of noise they are going to challenge it again.
If that is the case I really hope may is not the case they get behind to champion, it will drag the whole thing out even more.

Kilkenny

Coach
Just on our recruitment for 2020 I have been on a road trip for past month playing golf in veteran tournaments so haven’t spent much time on here until today basically. Is it just me or are our current brains trust not really addressing the areas where we have been deficient for some time. Luke Capewell by all accounts seem to be considered a decent pick up and Tetavano if his signing is correct likewise but I can’t help feeling we still lack quality outside backs. Just one quality centre surely should have been our highest priority but maybe that’s just me.

maple_69

Bench
Yep we need to at the very least grab a couple promising juniors or reclamation project guys in the backs. Maybe there’s a guy they see a lot more promise in than we do so are comfy but our depth is paper thin either way.

Crashtest

Juniors
Just on our recruitment for 2020 I have been on a road trip for past month playing golf in veteran tournaments so haven’t spent much time on here until today basically. Is it just me or are our current brains trust not really addressing the areas where we have been deficient for some time. Luke Capewell by all accounts seem to be considered a decent pick up and Tetavano if his signing is correct likewise but I can’t help feeling we still lack quality outside backs. Just one quality centre surely should have been our highest priority but maybe that’s just me.

If you search for Blade23’s posts, he mentions that the club has expressed interest in a couple of centres but pulled out when the price went to high eg Walker, Mitchell, Bird etc.

So they want to sign a centre, just aren’t willing to pay overs to get one. Which I think is a good thing, as there will be clubs needing to release players before the start of the season. And if a good buy doesn’t eventuate for 2020, they have enough to get by with and can focus on the right signing for 2020. And hopefully by then Naden and Crichton are killing it at centre and we don’t need to sign any!

OldPanther

Coach
If you search for Blade23’s posts, he mentions that the club has expressed interest in a couple of centres but pulled out when the price went to high eg Walker, Mitchell, Bird etc.

So they want to sign a centre, just aren’t willing to pay overs to get one. Which I think is a good thing, as there will be clubs needing to release players before the start of the season. And if a good buy doesn’t eventuate for 2020, they have enough to get by with and can focus on the right signing for 2020. And hopefully by then Naden and Crichton are killing it at centre and we don’t need to sign any!

That's definitely a positive. No 5 year contracts and reasonably priced is a good place to start. Then get winning so players want to come here(can Ivan do it though?)

Easy there fella, you’ll be accused of negativity :wink::joy:

(and yes, I completely agree about a centre)

Concern at this point is they might be planning on playing Capewell at centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.