What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Quicksilver

Bench
I don’t know why they bother with seats for poor people at all.

Just make the whole thing a corporate box. That’s what all this is about.

Should just roll out some turf on George Street every Friday arvo so the suits don’t even need to leave the office.

no name

Coach
Deadline for hiring new Sydney Football Stadium builder to be missed
The Berejiklian government will miss its own deadline for hiring a new builder to construct the Sydney Football Stadium, as it is still negotiating with two bidders for the $729 million project at Moore Park.

Construction giants Multiplex and John Holland are both vying for the contract, with the government expected to announce the successful company in "coming weeks".

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said in August the government had "until November" to appoint a new builder for the stadium after Lendlease pulled out because it was unable to complete it within the allocated budget.

But this week Infrastructure NSW, the agency overseeing the project, confirmed the government was still "in negotiations with builders" for the "stage two" contract to build the new stadium.

"A final decision to award the contract has not been made by government, but is expected in the coming weeks," a spokeswoman said.

The opposition seized on the missed deadline, with Labor leader Jodi McKay urging the Premier to "tell the truth about whether her stadium will be on time and on budget".

"Budget overruns on the Liberals' major infrastructure projects means less money for other services," Ms McKay said.

"The state government's bucket of money is emptying faster than it can fill it. We can't afford another budget blowout."

The decision to knock down and rebuild the Sydney Football Stadium, also known as Allianz Stadium, at a cost of $729 million has been a long-running source of controversy for the Berejiklian government, amid considerable backlash from community groups as well as Labor and the Greens.

It became a key issue in the March state election, with Labor opposing the stadium's demolition and vowing, if elected, to redirect the funding towards schools and hospitals.

The government proceeded with the demolition during the final weeks of the election campaign, after a last-minute legal bid by a community group to halt the process was rejected by the NSW Land and Environment Court.

The project was thrown into disarray in July, when then-sports minister John Sidoti revealed the government had been forced to reopen the tender process because "Lendlease's stage two offer did not meet the government's expectations".

At the time, he said he remained "very confident" the project would be completed on time and on budget.

Ms Berejiklian also said the project remained on track.

"We have until November to secure the next bidder and I am confident that will happen way before that time to ensure the project is delivered in the first bit of 2022 which is the deadline we have given ourselves," Ms Berejiklian said in August.

In July, the government said it had costed the demolition, or "stage one", at $36.3 million, leaving nearly $693 million of the project's estimated $729 million overall cost for the "stage two" rebuild.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...ium-builder-to-be-missed-20191129-p53fde.html
Organising a root in the brothel and all that.....

seanoff

Juniors
It was built by Lendlease...
Who told the NSW govt that it wasn’t possible to do what was planned for the SFS for the money allocated.

Lend lease have a clue, the NSW Govt do not.

AAMI park cost about $10k a seat. Bankwest and Townsville both about $12k a seat. Given AAMI’s age. All about the same in real terms.

Adelaide oval cost $13.3K a seat and that includes the new footbridge ($40m) and other associated buildings like the large indoor facility ($5M at least). A raw $11.3K a seat for the stadium. Also in the ball park of the other 3 an the AO doesn’t lack for facilities.

Optus is the outlier at 26K per seat. But the position of the stadium had a huge cost in terms of earthworks to even allow it to start. The associated rail works were at least $200M, the new station itself was $145M. Ive seen a figure of about 14K a seat for the actual stadium construction. 9ie if they didnt build it on a swamp and require 1200 piles etc to hold it up.

The Noble/Bradman/Trumper redevelop at the SCG was $186M. Or $13.3k a seat.

The SFS is tracking at close to $17k a seat. It must be lavish as hell. Why?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who told the NSW govt that it wasn’t possible to do what was planned for the SFS for the money allocated.

Does make you wonder how the NSW Govt thinks it will find someone else to build it for that budget when these guys, with the most relevant and recent experience are saying it isn't possible? I guess with Brexit coming we could import polish builders from UK to build it?

TheRam

Coach
Most here I believe are wrong to worry about the price of a stadium. Whether it costs $500m or $1B or whatever, it is irrelevant. The money is there, it always is there. To say it isn't does not make sense economically. We have it, no hospital or dam or highway or power station or anything else isn't being built because we don't have the money.

Anything that gets done by Governments is down to politics and lobbyists. If a Government wants to do or build something it is ultimately motivated by self interest or powerful outside(good or bad) influences. So to me if we can build the Taj Mahal of stadiums here in Sydney, then I say build. At least there will be something tangible that many, many hundreds of thousands if not millions of people will get to experience and enjoy over its lifetime.

It's not like if they don't build it we will get a spanking brand new super duper massive power station to alleviate and actually substantially bring down electricity prices or prevent the not so in the distant future, rolling blackouts that NSW will be having in a few years.

If people want to get upset and up in arms about criminal wastage of our hard earned,(looking straight at you Mr red bandanna head) they should be fuming at the federal submarine contract that was ridiculous to start with price wise $50B, delivery time and final obsolete product, which has now blown out to $230B for a bunch of (12) useless, old tech and diesel powered tin cans.

Now there is some real stupid and criminal decisions right there that very few are even aware about. The people that are involved with this contract should all be hurled in front of courts and also be made personally liable for this ongoing train wreck of a disaster that is still being played out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree, I must say the $1.2bill spent on Optus seemed excessive at the time of announcement but it is a real asset for the city now and done to a spec that everyone can be proud of as a major feature of Perth. Like you said its not like we didn't also get a new childrens hospital, road improvements, new train to the airport etc all happening as well. Its a real shame the NSW Govt didn't invest most of its stadium fund in ANZ to create a truly stunning national rectangular stadium. Two bankwests and a new beaut ANZ woudl have been much better outcome. Oh well no one ever accused Govt's of being smart!

>zuzu<

Juniors

AAMI park cost about $10k a seat. Bankwest and Townsville both about $12k a seat. Given AAMI’s age. All about the same in real terms.

Adelaide oval cost $13.3K a seat and that includes the new footbridge ($40m) and other associated buildings like the large indoor facility ($5M at least). A raw $11.3K a seat for the stadium. Also in the ball park of the other 3 an the AO doesn’t lack for facilities.

Optus is the outlier at 26K per seat. But the position of the stadium had a huge cost in terms of earthworks to even allow it to start. The associated rail works were at least $200M, the new station itself was $145M. Ive seen a figure of about 14K a seat for the actual stadium construction. 9ie if they didnt build it on a swamp and require 1200 piles etc to hold it up.

The Noble/Bradman/Trumper redevelop at the SCG was $186M. Or $13.3k a seat.

The SFS is tracking at close to $17k a seat. It must be lavish as hell. Why?
Not as a form of justification of any sort - But I really do feel that the hosting the 2015 Asian Cup, and in particular Saudi Princes and Royal families, had a supreme effect on the mental state of the governments decision.

We were absolutely shitcanned for our sub par anemeties, terrible viewing areas, outdated technology, and overall archaic game day experience - to the point where, it was rumored we could not even be considered for future global events (think World Cups, future Asian Cups, Olympics, Concerts etc) if we continued down the line of using stadiums that were over 30 years old. And this all came due to delegates from parts of Asia, basically kicking and screaming about how shit our services were.

And to prove my point - if anyone has gone to Bankwest stadium now, you will notice, in terms of seating, it is virtually a 3 sided stadium. The broadcasters end is virtually all box seats, with very limited seating compared to others. Probably close to 1/3 of the opposite side.

I completely agree with you - why the need to spend so much extra on a stadium when in comparison, we have had others do it so "cheaply". My thought is - this government is willing to spend the dollars, if it gives them a greater chance of hosting a multitude of events moving forward. And the number of seats is crucial, because for instance, if we were to host a World Cup (or bid for one again) - there are certain rules and regulations we need to abide by (stadium capacity, number of stadiums per city etc etc).

If people want to get upset and up in arms about criminal wastage of our hard earned,(looking straight at you Mr red bandanna head) they should be fuming at the federal submarine contract that was ridiculous to start with price wise $50B, delivery time and final obsolete product, which has now blown out to $230B for a bunch of (12) useless, old tech and diesel powered tin cans.

Now there is some real stupid and criminal decisions right there that very few are even aware about. The people that are involved with this contract should all be hurled in front of courts and also be made personally liable for this ongoing train wreck of a disaster that is still being played out.

You could add the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter project to the list. It has been the most costly fighter purchase in history and is still not 100% operational. Only 14 of the 58 ordered have been delivered.

azza29

Juniors
And the number of seats is crucial, because for instance, if we were to host a World Cup (or bid for one again) - there are certain rules and regulations we need to abide by (stadium capacity, number of stadiums per city etc etc).
Rugby World Cup, perhaps. Hosting the FIFA World Cup might be the dream of soccer tragics, but it will never happen and should not be the basis for government investment decisions.

Quicksilver

Bench
By the time we get to host any of these major global tournaments the new stadiums will be considered outdated.

So we'll need to knock them down and do it all again.

>zuzu<

Juniors
Rugby World Cup, perhaps. Hosting the FIFA World Cup might be the dream of soccer tragics, but it will never happen and should not be the basis for government investment decisions.
Whilst I understand the notion of not using this as a basis of the decision, I think it would be silly not to spend the extra cash if it means we are getting better facilities, which could increase our chances of hosting.

That aside - the handling by the government for this contract herein so far has been appalling.

Also - I think it would be foolish to think Australia will not bid for a Football WC in the next 20-40 years. We were burned by our last attempt, but as were the US - and now here they are, joint hosting the 2026 WC with their North American compatriots.That being said, they have terrific amenities, an abundance of amazing stadiums, and a crap load of cities to choose from in comparison to us. If we can get up to that standard, I have no doubt we will be back on that horse.

Quicksilver

Bench
These bids are about playing the game.

They should just do the Qatar thing.

Promise air conditioned stadiums. Pay off the important people. Run out of money.

Play Argentina vs Brazil out of Brookvale.

>zuzu<

Juniors
These bids are about playing the game.

They should just do the Qatar thing.

Promise air conditioned stadiums. Pay off the important people. Run out of money.

Play Argentina vs Brazil out of Brookvale.
Don't get me started on that Qatar bid. Corruption of the highest order... made worse by the Garcia report, The fact they had to chance to a winter tournament, the FIFA presidents views on what gays should do when attending the Cup, as well as the treatment of workers on those stadiums....

Sickening

axl rose

Bench
Don't get me started on that Qatar bid. Corruption of the highest order... made worse by the Garcia report, The fact they had to chance to a winter tournament, the FIFA presidents views on what gays should do when attending the Cup, as well as the treatment of workers on those stadiums....

Sickening
FIFA makes the dodgy, policy on the run NRL administration look like choir boys.